Marshawn might still get fined...

uncle fester

Reaction score
pmedic920":3cvwvlx0 said:
hawknation2015":3cvwvlx0 said:
This is a bizarre rumor. The hat is made by a league sponsor and therefore would not conflict with league rules. New Era is an official sponsor.

That may be a loop hole that saves him.
The main mater is not the manufacturer of the blank cap.
It's the fact that it's a "BeastMode" brand cap.

I think it'd be more likely that it came from someone at League Office who wasn't looking at the photo long enough - much like the poor soul who tried to flag up the Seahawks Onside kick team for having an illegal formation vs Green Bay and then had to backtrack.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
hopefully ML gets $$ per skittles presser review since that this is almost over 3M views... ;-)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Attention all companies considering a future sponsorship with the NFL:

If you do reach a contractual agreement with the league to become an official sponsor, please be aware that NFL.com may publish incendiary stories that threaten fines against players who choose to wear your officially licensed products.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Well, I guess they'll need to fine Earl for wearing a Jordan hat as well as Bennett for the Stetson?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Escamillo":dosz2am9 said:
You have got to be kidding me.

No, I'm serious.

It is the exact same media contract that allows Lynch to be paid 8.5 million per year rather than $85,000 per year that requires him to answer 15 minutes of stupid questions from the media from time to time.

From one perspective the league is silly for making a mountain out of this molehill while trying to honor their contractual obligations, and from another perspective Lynch is silly because he makes 8.5 million dollars a year and is acting like a brat because he doesn't feel like doing something that he agreed to do by playing in the NFL, which is incredibly, incredibly non-onerous (answer 15 minutes of stupid questions every once in awhile).

First of all, you talk of making a mockery of media day? Really?
Media day is already a mockery. Or did you think a clowns asking players and coaches about the recent movies they've seen or whether they like Chinese food or whatnot is serious and profound journalism?

It has nothing to do with "professional journalism" or "unprofessional journalism" or if the questions are silly or not (they are). It's about promotion and honoring the contract; the same promotion that allows everyone including Lynch to make as much money as they do, and the same contract that Lynchh as agreed to by being part of the NFL.

If Lynch was taking a moral stand on a serious social issue I'd be more sympathetic, but he's not. He neither feels like honoring the contract nor facing the reprecussions for not doing so, so he acts like a j@ck@ss. It doesn't make me love him as a player any less, but that the questions are stupid makes what he's doing even more ridiculous, IMO. Just answer them as you agreed to do and be done with it. He's bringing all of this on himself, and such, it's hard to really feel bad for him, IMO.

Second, even if Lynch were "childish" and "made a mockery of the process", is that worth a 100k fine? Give me a break. Those that bash Marshawn for making a mockery of something that is already a mockery and call for 100k fines need to get some perspective. Media day is a clown show and a joke. Everyone knows that, but suddenly people demand that it be taken seriously just because Marshawn Lynch won't toe Goodell's line? :roll:

100K fines don't happen in a vacuum. He got repeated warnings and the fines got larger as he dug his heels in.

And I've never claimed that media day is a serious hard-hitting news event or that it should be taken seriously (if anything, I'd guess the NFL and TV networks would prefer that players NOT take it that seriously and have some fun and open up a bit). My point was that Marshawn Lynch is paid VERY WELL, and part of his job is playing ball with the media from time to time, even if it's stupid (it is), and even if he'd rather not (he would rather not). It's why I think who is being "immature" in this situation comes down to a matter of perspective.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":x47bl296 said:
Escamillo":x47bl296 said:
You have got to be kidding me.

No, I'm serious.

It is the exact same media contract that allows Lynch to be paid 8.5 million per year rather than $85,000 per year that requires him to answer 15 minutes of stupid questions from the media from time to time.

From one perspective the league is silly for making a mountain out of this molehill while trying to honor their contractual obligations, and from another perspective Lynch is silly because he makes 8.5 million dollars a year and is acting like a brat because he doesn't feel like doing something that he agreed to do by playing in the NFL, which is incredibly, incredibly non-onerous (answer 15 minutes of stupid questions every once in awhile).

First of all, you talk of making a mockery of media day? Really?
Media day is already a mockery. Or did you think a clowns asking players and coaches about the recent movies they've seen or whether they like Chinese food or whatnot is serious and profound journalism?

It has nothing to do with "professional journalism" or "unprofessional journalism" or if the questions are silly or not (they are). It's about promotion and honoring the contract; the same promotion that allows everyone including Lynch to make as much money as they do, and the same contract that Lynchh as agreed to by being part of the NFL.

If Lynch was taking a moral stand on a serious social issue I'd be more sympathetic, but he's not. He neither feels like honoring the contract nor facing the reprecussions for not doing so, so he acts like a j@ck@ss. It doesn't make me love him as a player any less, but that the questions are stupid makes what he's doing even more ridiculous, IMO. Just answer them as you agreed to do and be done with it. He's bringing all of this on himself, and such, it's hard to really feel bad for him, IMO.

Second, even if Lynch were "childish" and "made a mockery of the process", is that worth a 100k fine? Give me a break. Those that bash Marshawn for making a mockery of something that is already a mockery and call for 100k fines need to get some perspective. Media day is a clown show and a joke. Everyone knows that, but suddenly people demand that it be taken seriously just because Marshawn Lynch won't toe Goodell's line? :roll:

100K fines don't happen in a vacuum. He got repeated warnings and the fines got larger as he dug his heels in.

And I've never claimed that media day is a serious hard-hitting news event or that it should be taken seriously (if anything, I'd guess the NFL and TV networks would prefer that players NOT take it that seriously and have some fun and open up a bit). My point was that Marshawn Lynch is paid VERY WELL, and part of his job is playing ball with the media from time to time, even if it's stupid (it is), and even if he'd rather not (he would rather not). It's why I think who is being "immature" in this situation comes down to a matter of perspective.

you are but one more broken record that needs to spend more time reading the actual media policy than making an argument up that is irrelevant to the media policy of which ML is fully in compliance with. when you have read said media policy, please point out how ML is in non compliance with said policy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ I know that he's technically compliant with the policy. It is implied and directly referenced throughout my post. We need not play stupid with each other, k? :)

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":7ja0689s said:
^^^ I know that he's technically compliant with the policy. It is implied and directly referenced throughout my post. We need not play stupid with each other, k? :)
um its not.

stating this "and part of his job is playing ball with the media from time to time, even if it's stupid (it is), and even if he'd rather not (he would rather not)." clearly means you have not read the policy since it does not say that.

k....[again, why not read what is required instead of incorrectly stating what is required with your editorial comments]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":3u67zthg said:
Popeyejones":3u67zthg said:
um its not.

stating this "and part of his job is playing ball with the media from time to time, even if it's stupid (it is), and even if he'd rather not (he would rather not)." clearly means you have not read the policy since it does not say that.

k....[again, why not read what is required instead of incorrectly stating what is required with your editorial comments]

Ughhh. Okay, so we're playing stupid with each other, I guess.

My point was that repeating "I'm here so I won't get fined" over and over again does not actually constitute "playing ball with the media." To pretend otherwise is, by my definition, playing stupid.

As I already said above, "He neither feels like honoring the contract nor facing the reprecussions for not doing so" so he's doing this instead.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":5c7yidw8 said:

In that case, let's not pretend that ONE guy not talking to the media is (or should be) a big deal. We all have our opinions but there are plenty of people willing to talk. The media is looking for controversy, period. If they can't get it through answering questions, they'll manufacture their own.

They whine to the league and the league threatens to fine him. The league chose to make it about his contractual obligation and he's using their own bullshit tactic to avoid a fine while denying them what they want. Pretty fitting in my opinion.

They're shaping the headlines, not him. If he doesn't give you a story, write about someone else.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
NFL is going to start handing out a lot of fines this week then. Marshawn's not the only one wearing gear not approved by the NFL.

The NFL is turning into a joke with this crap.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1xj266e2 said:
The NFL is turning into a joke with this crap.
Exactly. If they could get away with writing the scripts for everyone they would. We'll never see Goodell facing a media feeding frenzy like SB media day. Even when he screws up so bad that people call for his resignation he gets to choose the network, the interviewer, the setting and time – or rather he gets a billionaire buddy to help set it up for him – and he still dodges responsibility. What a hypocritical joke.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":36ztnj5d said:
Popeyejones":36ztnj5d said:

In that case, let's not pretend that ONE guy not talking to the media is (or should be) a big deal. We all have our opinions but there are plenty of people willing to talk. The media is looking for controversy, period. If they can't get it through answering questions, they'll manufacture their own.

They whine to the league and the league threatens to fine him. The league chose to make it about his contractual obligation and he's using their own bullshit tactic to avoid a fine while denying them what they want. Pretty fitting in my opinion.

They're shaping the headlines, not him. If he doesn't give you a story, write about someone else.

Oh yeah, Marshawn Lynch being a star player and this being the promotional lead-up to the Super Bowl (the marquee event) OBVIOUSLY play a huge role in all this.

I disagree however, with blaming the media for Marshawn doing what he has chosen to do. I mean, he's not an idiot. He doesn't feel like doing something stupid and easy and he also doesn't feel like getting fined for not doing it so he's (essentially) acting like a little kid about it and turning something that would be remarkably easy to comply with into a big to do. *The media* didn't create that, Lynch did.

To be clear I'm not even remotely *offended* by what he's doing (LOL) nor do I really care at all (it's media day, who gives a crud), but I'm not going to feel bad for him or pretend for even a fraction of a second that he's not acting like a smugtard, spoiled brat about answering dumb questions for 15 minutes.

He's contractually obligated (and handsomely compensated) for doing something dumb and easy, and he's choosing to publicly dance a "you can't tell me what to do" dance instead. It's why I said who was behaving "immaturely" was a matter of perspective.

From MY perspective, a huuuuuge part of being mature and being an adult is knowing when to take a stand, and when to just do the stuff that you're supposed to do even when you don't feel like doing it (which describes, like probably 80% of every day of adult life :lol: ). I'm just simply not sympathetic to his "cause" because he doesn't have one. It's why - despite being a 9ers fan on the one hand and a Lynch fan on the other - earlier today I posted that I'm a huge fan of Richard Sherman for using his public stage for standing up for what he believes in, and now I'm posting that Lynch is just acting like a brat.

I'm a 9ers fan who thinks Richard Sherman is awesome, and a Lynch fan who thinks he's acting like an idiot. So it goes. :lol:

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1hstw73t said:
YYZHawksFan":1hstw73t said:
Popeyejones":1hstw73t said:
um its not.

My point was that repeating "I'm here so I won't get fined" over and over again does not actually constitute "playing ball with the media." To pretend otherwise is, by my definition, playing stupid.

As I already said above, "He neither feels like honoring the contract nor facing the reprecussions for not doing so" so he's doing this instead.

no. you just dont want to admit you have not bother to read the policy that says "make himself available to the media" not play ball. go have a read for yourself.

he is honouring his contract that requires he comply with the collective agreement that requires he comply with media policy.

he has to sit up there and respond and do so for 5 minutes. he is doing that. stop playing games and expecting more or you are no better than those who are trying to bully him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1h0d5rmo said:
Laloosh":1h0d5rmo said:
Popeyejones":1h0d5rmo said:

Oh yeah, Marshawn Lynch being a star player and this being the promotional lead-up to the Super Bowl (the marquee event) OBVIOUSLY play a huge role in all this.

I disagree however, with blaming the media for Marshawn doing what he has chosen to do. I mean, he's not an idiot. He doesn't feel like doing something stupid and easy and he also doesn't feel like getting fined for not doing it so he's (essentially) acting like a little kid about it and turning something that would be remarkably easy to comply with into a big to do. *The media* didn't create that, Lynch did.

To be clear I'm not even remotely *offended* by what he's doing (LOL) nor do I really care at all (it's media day, who gives a crud), but I'm not going to feel bad for him or pretend for even a fraction of a second that he's not acting like a smugtard, spoiled brat about answering dumb questions for 15 minutes.

He's contractually obligated (and handsomely compensated) for doing something dumb and easy, and he's choosing to publicly dance a "you can't tell me what to do" dance instead. It's why I said who was behaving "immaturely" was a matter of perspective.

From MY perspective, a huuuuuge part of being mature and being an adult is knowing when to take a stand, and when to just do the stuff that you're supposed to do even when you don't feel like doing it (which describes, like probably 80% of every day of adult life :lol: ). I'm just simply not sympathetic to his "cause" because he doesn't have one. It's why - despite being a 9ers fan on the one hand and a Lynch fan on the other - earlier today I posted that I'm a huge fan of Richard Sherman for using his public stage for standing up for what he believes in, and now I'm posting that Lynch is just acting like a brat.

I'm a 9ers fan who thinks Richard Sherman is awesome, and a Lynch fan who thinks he's acting like an idiot. So it goes. :lol:

Enjoy 6-10, BOSS.

:th2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":cgnjfk6z said:
Popeyejones":cgnjfk6z said:
YYZHawksFan":cgnjfk6z said:
Popeyejones":cgnjfk6z said:
um its not.

no. you just dont want to admit you have not bother to read the policy that says "make himself available to the media" not play ball. go have a read for yourself.

he is honouring his contract that requires he comply with the collective agreement that requires he comply with media policy.

he has to sit up there and respond and do so for 5 minutes. he is doing that. stop playing games and expecting more or you are no better than those who are trying to bully him.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant by "playing stupid." ALL of us know that he is technically fulfilling the contract by just saying "I'm here so I won't get fined" to every unrelated question over and over again, just as ALL of us know that he's not honoring the spirit of the contract by not just answering the stupid questions.

This is obvious. It's a waste of time to pretend that it's not. Your smoking gun is a dud. It's a waste.

Basically, what he's doing is akin to a toddler who doesn't want to eat his peas mashing them all over his face and chewing them up and spitting them out and yelling "Look, mom! I'm eating my peas!"

Technically he is eating his peas, but, it turns out none of us are idiots (or pretending to be so), and just like him, we knew exactly what his mom meant and what she didn't mean.

And yeah, I'm comparing Marshawn Lynch to a bratty kid because he's acting like one. If he were taking a stand over something that mattered it would be one thing, but he isn't. He's just making a big to do over something meaningless and stupid that he doesn't feel like doing. So what?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":1iopws8h said:
9rs fan...ok. that explains it. you get no more responses from me.

Probably for the best.

FWIW though, I've been a Lynch fan for longer than you've even known who he was. Back when he had just signed with Cal he would work out on the HS field where I coached freshman at the time, and he was really awesome and generous with advice for all our players. He's a Bay Area guy through and through, and does a ton of good stuff here that people don't always hear about. He happens to be acting like a brat in this instance, but I'm still a fan and still root for his health and success (him being a ton of fun to watch doesn't hurt, either. :lol: )

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1jbp8l0t said:
Laloosh":1jbp8l0t said:
Popeyejones":1jbp8l0t said:

I didn't get the impression that you were personally worked up about it and I don't personally think he has a "cause" here. He's not trying to make a statement about free speech, the league or the media. He just doesn't want to talk to them and is willing to take the heat for it.

Obviously you're not alone in your opinion about it being a small inconvenience and I share it somewhat. However I see this story as targeting fans of the other 31 teams. Seattle doesn't care and neither does Marshawn. It's an easy ratings generator for the media that has no impact on the game. It's about shaping opinion about the man and the team WAY more than it's about learning about the man or the team at this point.

I think there are a bunch of butthurt media types that are worked up about being told "no" that pushed for the fines and everyone else has simply latched onto it for the easy clicks/ratings.

Latest posts