Marquise Blair has got the Nickel position down!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Yessir! Adams is Adams, but the emergence of Blair as a difference maker, added to Diggs, and maybe Dunbar we are looking stellar in the secondary. Coaches also point to Flowers as much improved. Things looking rosey behind the line.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jamal Adams is going to make this secondary. But Blair is his own man.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1159698584117186567[/tweet]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is fantastic news.

I am very excited about our secondary.

That Blair can be this versatile, and still be a dangerous tackler if we get caught off guard with a run while we are in nickel? Makes it all the more likely secondary is going to be one of the best in the league.

Also, the more safeties we keep the better. We have literally lost 2 SBs almost as a direct result of our safeties being injured (Hamlin in the 1st, Earl and Kam in the 2nd). Having a nickel that can play safety if need be is going to be huge.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":33xldwma said:
This is fantastic news.

I am very excited about our secondary.

That Blair can be this versatile, and still be a dangerous tackler if we get caught off guard with a run while we are in nickel? Makes it all the more likely secondary is going to be one of the best in the league.

Also, the more safeties we keep the better. We have literally lost 2 SBs almost as a direct result of our safeties being injured (Hamlin in the 1st, Earl and Kam in the 2nd). Having a nickel that can play safety if need be is going to be huge.

Excellent points. Oh the "what ifs." :snack:

chris98251

Reaction score
The great part is all these guys are fast and can cover, loaded up offense now will not have an advantage and hate to catch the ball on this secondary. Plus we can also blitz from anywhere, LB, S or Nickel and CB.

Really if you look at it with Blair we have 4 Safeties and one CB in Griffin out there in a Big Nickel package that can cover and hit you damn hard.

BeaHUman

Reaction score
ivotuk":1kv5av5i said:

Didn't Blair get the flag because he used the wrong shoulder? I remember the play well, thinking that looked LOB like.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
chris98251":1lzkn62n said:
The great part is all these guys are fast and can cover, loaded up offense now will not have an advantage and hate to catch the ball on this secondary. Plus we can also blitz from anywhere, LB, S or Nickel and CB.

Really if you look at it with Blair we have 4 Safeties and one CB in Griffin out there in a Big Nickel package that can cover and hit you damn hard.

One of Coach Pete's comments about Blair was that he is as good or better in coverage as anyone we have. Said Blair can play anywhere.

sutz

Reaction score
BeaHUman":oo0hwia3 said:
ivotuk":oo0hwia3 said:

Didn't Blair get the flag because he used the wrong shoulder? I remember the play well, thinking that looked LOB like.
Yeah, he got his head inside and under the guy's chin. Some folks tried to argue it, but that's just homerism. They'll flag that if they see it.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
What will our pass rush look like fellas?
That will be the key to our success on D.
We cannot afford to have our Dline have just 28 sacks in 17 games again?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
HawaiiD":ryp93r0q said:

It might happen again, but it's not the key to our defense or we would be signing best available left and right. Our secondary is key and now they can hold up a bit longer than just a few seconds. We have good cover guys and excellent playmakers at back end. The dline will be allowed to have mistakes, but I think they will get it going with our youngsters.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1i7u0pa9 said:
HawaiiD":1i7u0pa9 said:

It might happen again, but it's not the key to our defense or we would be signing best available left and right. Our secondary is key and now they can hold up a bit longer than just a few seconds. We have good cover guys and excellent playmakers at back end. The dline will be allowed to have mistakes, but I think they will get it going with our youngsters.

What he said. Our Secondary and Linebackers are ridiculously good, and will "discourage" the quick throws that killed us last year.

This is from an article by Michael-Shawn Dugar at the Athletic. It's behind a paywall, but I think the cost is well worth it. No other site offers content of this quality.

Basically, Blair can make plays all over the field, but it’s his ability to cover that will be most important because Seattle needs to be playing more man-to-man coverage, especially on obvious passing downs, and that’s hard to do when your inside defenders can’t cover in space.

https://theathletic.com/2038340/2020/09 ... -down-day/

nanomoz

Reaction score
Having a head hunter at nickel and strong safety is making me excited. I look forward to every wide receiver jet sweep not gaining 17 effing yards like last year.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would be happy with third and 15 or 20 not getting converted every time.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3gwnl714 said:
I take it Amadi gets cut at this point

Nah. No db will be cut. Amadi is also the back up safety. Blair can go there too, but at this point it seems they like him alot at NCB.

Griffin/Flowers
Flowers/Dunbar/Thorpe
Blair/Amadi
Diggs/Amadi/Blair
Adams/Hill

That's how I'd do it, but what do I know.

olyfan63

Reaction score
nanomoz":kcrima2b said:
Having a head hunter at nickel and strong safety is making me excited. I look forward to every wide receiver jet sweep not gaining 17 effing yards like last year.

So THIS!! Especially against the 49ers. "Deebo Samuel on the sweep, with a gain of 20!" Seemed like he got 15 or 20 every time they ran that play against us. Between Adams, Blair, Irvin, and rookie Jordyn Brooks, I'm optimistic for better results this year on those plays.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Assuming we play more nickel this year. I hope so. Or use him as a money backer but we kind of already have Adams who can do that.

Latest posts