Macklemore

Throwdown

Reaction score
Macklemore's music doesn't speak to me like the people here obviously. But you gotta respect what he's brought to Seattle in terms of how the world of hip hop views us. Just wish he'd do a bit more with local artists so they can get the recognition they deserve, j.pinder is the dopest hip hop artist in Seattle IMO, though.

Also, Tical21 is named after a Method Man album, he's good peoples in my book lol

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Throwdown":xdai7uzs said:
Macklemore's music doesn't speak to me like the people here obviously. But you gotta respect what he's brought to Seattle in terms of how the world of hip hop views us. Just wish he'd do a bit more with local artists so they can get the recognition they deserve, j.pinder is the dopest hip hop artist in Seattle IMO, though.

Also, Tical21 is named after a Method Man album, he's good peoples in my book lol

No doubt. Some of us bought Tical on cassette the day it came out. ;)

Tical21

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2rs1p4ec said:
Throwdown":2rs1p4ec said:

No doubt. Some of us bought Tical on cassette the day it came out. ;)
Wow, that takes me back.

MOSES

Reaction score
Great story, Smoke.

I love hearing all the positive stories and comments about and from Macklemore.

I tried to do him justice with my little 'Thrift Shop" parody, and I realized how amazingly inept I am at rapping and how amazing he is at it. My fear has always been it would cross his way and he would hate it. lol

I gotta admit, I literally teared up the first time I heard "Same Love." It moved me more than any song I have heard in a long time. That song was literally ripped from my own mind.

Not going all political here. I just heard a song that shared my exact thoughts and views.

Hearing my daughter sing it word for word warms my heart.

Not to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but Macklemore is one of the modern rappers I admire as a person. His music isn't too bad, either.

muxpux

Reaction score
MOSES":32nwh0tt said:
Great story, Smoke.

I love hearing all the positive stories and comments about and from Macklemore.

I tried to do him justice with my little 'Thrift Shop" parody, and I realized how amazingly inept I am at rapping and how amazing he is at it. My fear has always been it would cross his way and he would hate it. lol

I gotta admit, I literally teared up the first time I heard "Same Love." It moved me more than any song I have heard in a long time. That song was literally ripped from my own mind.

Not going all political here. I just heard a song that shared my exact thoughts and views.

Hearing my daughter sing it word for word warms my heart.

Not to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but Macklemore is one of the modern rappers I admire as a person. His music isn't too bad, either.

seriously though. i like to think he crosses barriers. Same Love is a powerful song. very.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Well thought out lyrics that don't take Googe Eubonics and other assorted modern-day slang translators to decipher is rare in my book. All of the cute li'l 'my lyrics are so clever, figure them out lines' don't earn any sort of 'lyricist' points with me. Get you message out and articulate the important points. If any of you haven't visited Mack's website and saw how the guy can flat-out write (non-lyrics), you owe it to yourself.

djb28

Reaction score
Eh, He had on a Bills jersey when he played here.. They all do it.

camdawg

Reaction score
Tical21":2w46r4by said:
Well, you're "brutally honest" opinion is, as we say, your own reality. Mack gets plenty of props from world-renown 'lyricists,' so excuse me if I don't regard you as a expert on the subject.

Amen. The guys has won a shit ton of awards the past two years or so. Not to mention he's a huge Hawk and Seattle fan, however, it doesn't surprise me that haters who don't know him or appreciate his music will hate.

I don't care for country music but I wouldn't hate on that music in any public forum. To each their own but some like to pass judgement and live in their bubble of what's right.

I feel like L80 and half the people here belong in the Jimmy Buffett camp and they're far from cultured in normal day perspectives but I would never say that...[/quote]
Condescending much? I was downloading his music like 7 years ago, going to shows, and trumpeted him as Seattle's best. Was very happy for him when he made it big.

I would put my love for hip-hop and knowledge of its history against anyone here, particularly when it comes to the great lyricists. He may be one of the best going now, but that isn't saying much. When you put his words up there against some of the greats, he unfortunately just isn't on that level. I come from a time where you had to pause and rewind tracks as you went through them because they were so mind-blowing, you couldn't believe somebody was so genius to put together what you just heard. In that regard, Mack has always been relatively simple and predictable.[/quote]

But that doesn't make him overrated, unless there are people putting him on a level with Rakim, Biggie, Illmatic era Nas, etc. I don't think too many people are. And Ben would probably be the last guy that would claim to be on that level.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't know him well but have met him quite a few times through the local scene. One of my friends (Elan) was a big part of Heist & before, he left Macklemore to start producing for Sol (the next big thing in Seattle).

I didn't know it until recently but one of my friends from high school is celloist on the touring band. That was cool. Good guy that cares about Seattle and Seattle sports.