Lynch vs Clayton

OrFan

Reaction score
In Clayton's defense, it is probably hard to keep from being angry when you look like a ping pong ball wearing glasses.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
None of us have "walked in John Clayton's shoes". He carries a heavy load when he lays down his "reporter job". Needless to say, John has not walked in Marshawn's shoes either. It is easy to react with criticism when a reporter gets "stiff armed" by a player. Marshawn lives in his "own world"....it is not the world of a sports reporter.....and never the two shall meet.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":kblms5r8 said:
When Lynch retires he should grant Clayton to do his last interview, LIVE and Lynch should do his best to do a great interview while keeping it PG-13 but at the end when Clayton is thanking Lynch and goes to shake his hand...

Lynch will refuse and then tell John Clayton "To Go Screw Yourself, Beast-Mode out!!!" and then ride off into the sunset, like a boss.

Edited by Throwdown

I'd prefer Lynch stiff arms him to the floor.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Clayton probably takes it as a shot to his ego, since he is a nationally known writer that lives in Seattle. I imagine he couldn't care less how Marshawn treats the rest of the media, regardless of the facade he puts up. .

v1rotv2

Reaction score
My thoughts are, if Clayton knew the players like he thinks he does didn't he know that ML would be incognito? And if he did know didn't he kind of set ML up? Something is amiss here.

Largent80

Reaction score
Any credibility he had went out the door for me with his baby like ranting.

Kiss the ring bitch.

Polaris

Reaction score
I was 100% behind Lynch during the superbowl as I am sure most of you remember, but let's be fair to Clayton here. From what I am hearing, Clayton doesn't have personal feelings against Lynch at all. His questions about Lynch's long term reliability are the same questions we've discussed here on other threads: Lynch is nearing thirty and that's when running backs, especially RBs that run with Lynch's hard, bruising style tend to fall of a cliff. We've seen this before with Shaun Alexander; I think we need to be prepared to see it again with Lynch sometime in the near future. I know the FO is (see Turbin and Michels). To postpone that day, Lynch gets as much rest as possible and takes as few non-game hits as possible, but it's going to happen and AFAICT that's what Clayton is talking about.

Cartire

Reaction score
Polaris":dxkpigjr said:
I was 100% behind Lynch during the superbowl as I am sure most of you remember, but let's be fair to Clayton here. From what I am hearing, Clayton doesn't have personal feelings against Lynch at all. His questions about Lynch's long term reliability are the same questions we've discussed here on other threads: Lynch is nearing thirty and that's when running backs, especially RBs that run with Lynch's hard, bruising style tend to fall of a cliff. We've seen this before with Shaun Alexander; I think we need to be prepared to see it again with Lynch sometime in the near future. I know the FO is (see Turbin and Michels). To postpone that day, Lynch gets as much rest as possible and takes as few non-game hits as possible, but it's going to happen and AFAICT that's what Clayton is talking about.

Dude just turned 28. Theres 2 more full seasons before he's even 30.

Show me on the tape, anywhere, that has showed even a hint of decline. Guys got a few more solid years before all this slacker speculation talk even needs to begin.

Rainger

Reaction score
Clayton has too many groupie sucks telling him he is a hall of famer "Damn it". it has gone to his head. He doesn't believe he can ever be wrong, and everyone in football should just listen to him.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
BlueTalon":10coljbf said:
OrFan":10coljbf said:
In Clayton's defense, it is probably hard to keep from being angry when you look like a ping pong ball wearing glasses.
ClaytonMackie zps590c02a2 Clayton Mackey zps4886f1a4

OH MY GOD!! Lynch is going to quit on the Seahawks, mmkay?

ManBunts

Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear the context of these comments. If he's framing them as an injury concern, well, to be honest, Beast Mode runs hard and I think that's always a concern.

But if it's simply stemming from him perceiving Lynch's attitude to be undedicated and lackluster (comments MANY people made due to his lack off attention at Super Bowl press events), that's just ridiculous and I'm going to say downright idiotic to say. The man goes back to Oakland every year to help those kids, then comes back and busts his ass on the field. No RB in the last 3 seasons has had 1200+ yards and 10+ TDs, except Lynch.

A guy that runs like this, does not just give up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf2Lr8ucJw8

nwgamer

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1k3imqik said:
Take it easy on Clayton; the man covered the Seahawks for a decade during some of their worst years, and he did a pretty damn good job at the time. He might be blind with asshurt at Lynch's press shield, but he has no vendetta against Seattle or the Hawks.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Immediately following the 2102 Week 3 Packers TD call review, here was Clayton's reaction:

john-clayton-pete-carroll.jpg

Nice photo find. I like it.

To those of you rushing to Clayton's defense with the "ML will eventually reach a drop off point so we should be ready" translation; why wouldn't Clayton just say that instead of saying how he thinks ML will leave the team hanging? It is his opinion but seems pretty harsh without offering some sort of reasoning behind taking that position. Umm-kay?

muy bien....muy bien..... muy bien..... muy bien........

Polaris

Reaction score
Cartire":35hcmnki said:
Polaris":35hcmnki said:

Dude just turned 28. Theres 2 more full seasons before he's even 30.

Show me on the tape, anywhere, that has showed even a hint of decline. Guys got a few more solid years before all this slacker speculation talk even needs to begin.

Actually if you run the stats for Running Backs around the league, you start seeing their production fall off a cliff right around the age of......28. No Lynch hasn't shown many signs of this, but he has struggled a bit lately esp in short yardage (IMO more due to our laughable excuse for an o-line than Lynch). Like I said, I'm not really seeing any anti-Lynch bias from Clayton other than the super-bowl. Rather, a caution that there are probably more seasons behind Lynch in Seattle than ahead of him esp with his current contract. I suspect the F.O. agrees hence Turbin and Michels.

warden

Reaction score
It is not Clayton in general but the media. They feel it necessary to create drama, conspiracy, unrest. This is lazy journalism but attracts a lot of readers. The days of good old fashioned journalism based on facts are pretty much over. Too much trying to be the first to break a story, that things like fact check are no longer part of the equation. Clayton is probably feeling the pressure to find some drama even if there is no substance to it. This crap sells and makes money

Polaris

Reaction score
nwgamer":2vyku21v said:
Nice photo find. I like it.

To those of you rushing to Clayton's defense with the "ML will eventually reach a drop off point so we should be ready" translation; why wouldn't Clayton just say that instead of saying how he thinks ML will leave the team hanging? It is his opinion but seems pretty harsh without offering some sort of reasoning behind taking that position. Umm-kay?

I haven't seen anything from Clayton that even remotely implies (let alone says) that Lynch will leave the 'hawks hanging. The worst I've heard from Clayton is that Lynch will be Lynch and the team accepts that and him (Lynch). The worst Clayton has said that Lynch is hard to figure out at least from what I've heard.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Clayton has the most annoying show on radio. Every caller slurps on him then asks the dumbest question that he either ignores or doesnt answer. I think his show is there to feed his ago so he can hear how great he is.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight...

...but wasn't there a story about Lynch having told teammates he was going to retire after the season? Then after the SB he spoke with Sherman and Sherman asked him if he was still going to retire and Marshawn said no?

I seem to remember something about that. Then again, that may have been another Clayton article.

EDIT: Found it.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/03/richard-s ... -seahawks/

"At 4:08 a.m., Sherman is on his feet. The celebration continues to roar upstairs, and Sherman wants to see at least a portion of the concert. Ashley helps him up, hands him his crutches and holds his drink. He gets to the elevator just as Lynch and a half dozen of his friends pour in, stumbling like children run amok. Lynch is still stiff and cool, still wrapped in the same face-warmer, hoodie up. Lynch has been telling teammates all season he’ll retire if they win the Super Bowl. Sherman doesn’t believe him. In the lobby upstairs, they put their heads together and Lynch whispers something inaudible through the mask. Sherman laughs and screams, “You reneged!” Fans at the concert see Sherman and begin sloppily chanting, “L-O-B! L-O-B!” He leaves Lynch, sticks his crutches under his arms and disappears into the crowd. The night is not over yet."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Clayton is an old school beat reporter now stuck in a modern day sports world.

So while he was very good at reporting in the 80's and 90's, he's below average in the opinion department........which is what "reporters" are now. They don't just go to the ball game, and transpose what happened for a local newspaper. The NFL is a 24/7 hype machine, so guys like Clayton have to try and come up with stuff to talk about.

Bottom line, there's no way in hell a guy like Clayton would be a NFL reporter today just starting out. He's antiquated, repetitive and just flat out boring with his opinions.