Luke Willson talking about THAT play

Jville

Reaction score
“I don’t think many guys on the team are really that upset about the play-call. Maybe in the moment of. And I said this a few times this weekend, I would say that 95 percent of the offensive players are really going to miss Darrell Bevell,” Willson said. “I thought personally – this is me personally talking now – I thought he was a phenomenal play caller and I thought that this year we let him down. That’s just the bottom line. I’m going to miss Bev. And you look at some of the things he was able to accomplish here, I mean, he did an unbelievable job and we were just inconsistent. It always happens, where some guys get the blame and I guess they’re looking for some fresh faces, I don’t know. But I do feel personally responsible, as a player on that offense, that Darrell Bevell is no longer here. And I think that whoever gets Darrell Bevell is going to get a great coach, and I think if you talk to anybody on our offense they would agree with that statement.”

This is a presentable link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/406382/though-luke-willson-isnt-over-super-bowl-xlix-he-stands-by-darrell-bevell/[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro/2018/02/c_danny,daveandmoore020118_10027227.mp3[/urltargetblank]

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Jville":3axnj7rc said:
“I don’t think many guys on the team are really that upset about the play-call. Maybe in the moment of. And I said this a few times this weekend, I would say that 95 percent of the offensive players are really going to miss Darrell Bevell,” Willson said. “I thought personally – this is me personally talking now – I thought he was a phenomenal play caller and I thought that this year we let him down. That’s just the bottom line. I’m going to miss Bev. And you look at some of the things he was able to accomplish here, I mean, he did an unbelievable job and we were just inconsistent. It always happens, where some guys get the blame and I guess they’re looking for some fresh faces, I don’t know. But I do feel personally responsible, as a player on that offense, that Darrell Bevell is no longer here. And I think that whoever gets Darrell Bevell is going to get a great coach, and I think if you talk to anybody on our offense they would agree with that statement.”

This is a presentable link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/406382/though-luke-willson-isnt-over-super-bowl-xlix-he-stands-by-darrell-bevell/[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro/2018/02/c_danny,daveandmoore020118_10027227.mp3[/urltargetblank]

It was always cable more then DB. Kind of hard to do run plays when your o line coach can't coach.

Jville

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2qbsmcr7 said:
Jville":2qbsmcr7 said:

It was always cable more then DB. Kind of hard to do run plays when your o line coach can't coach.

I understand that fan sentiment takes on a life of its own. But, there are many players and staff personnel that disagree and recognize that when players fail to execute, the NFL facsimile of musical chairs begins anew.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3lf948ig said:
chris98251":3lf948ig said:
Uncle Si":3lf948ig said:
12HawkFan":3lf948ig said:
I know it's a different sport but how long did it take for the Boston Red Sox to get over what had happened during a World Series a very long time ago?

A very LONG time.

Pro sports is a weird thing in as much as you can inherit baggage left over by past regimes that you had ZERO to do with but the reality is that is still in the franchises head and sometimes takes who knows what to finally get over it.

GO HAWKS!!!

The Seahawks got over a super bowl loss in ten years. Patriots got over 2 losses in 4 years.

Nobody has forgot the Bettis Bowl, it just was one upped by the Bevell Bowl.

We are still talking about the players right?

Who cares if fans get over it. The idea professional athletes paid millions to compete can’t get over losses of any magnitude is contrary to what I’d want from them.

It’s not like these guys are walking up and down radio row asking for a hot mic to spill their guts. They are being asked. If Manning was there someone would bring up 43-8. I’m sure Ryan has fielded a question or two about 28-3.

Having played on Championship teams if your beat by a better player or team you hate it, you don't like it but it makes the fire burn hotter to come back and do it the next time. When your beat by your own coaches because they don't have the faith and or confidence in you to do what you do best and take away that moment then it's a lot harder, you were not able to give it your best shot due to not being given the opportunity.

If that play would have succeeded Bevell would have been given a nod for a awesome and gutsy play call instead of Lynch getting credit for willing us to a win and the O line taking control of the line of scrimmage in the biggest moment which is one option or Wilson throwing it to Lynch on the back side where he was wide open on that play as well.

The real issue with the players is that Bevell called a play that didn't use his best options, that lack of trust is the biggest issue not that it was a pass.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":tk6ha7s5 said:
Who cares if fans get over it. The idea professional athletes paid millions to compete can’t get over losses of any magnitude is contrary to what I’d want from them.

Not me. I want players on my team to play with fire and feelings. I don't want them just playing for the paycheck and being 'Whatever' regardless if they win or lose. Never forget and you might not repeat the mistake. Goes for the coaches too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2uuz1hqb said:
Jville":2uuz1hqb said:

LOL C'mon man, everybody knows that Darryl Bevell was a magician, he could turn Tom Cables O-Line "Pigs Ears" into "Silk Purses", and besides, Marshawn Lynch didn't need no stinkin' O-Line to help him punch the ball in from there :lol:

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":2enoy9ij said:
If that was apples and oranges then what was comparing it to the 1910s Red Sox?

I must have missed something, I don't see any reference to "the 1910s Red Sox."

semiahmoo

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":14b9rocu said:
HawkRiderFan":14b9rocu said:
I figure a room full of Seahawk fans is a safe place for me to unload on something else that really gets me angry about that play....other than the obvious.
I give the Patriots and coaches all the credit for being prepared for that play and their preparation in general. But the over-the-top praise drives me nuts. Remember how the Pats didn't call timeout after Lynch's run leading up that play. I've actually heard people calling that a brilliant move by Billicheck that manipulated Pete into throwing the ball. Give me a freaking break. If the Hawks score on that play, everyone is questioning why the Pats didn't use a timeout to give Brady more time to come back and tie the game.
There is no reason to call that a brilliant move. Rant off!

A time out is what was supposed to happen and almost any coach in the world would have called one. Belichick didnt though and our coach panicked. I truly dont think Pete knew what to do. It was a great move by Belichick.

True. Greatest NFL coach of alllllll tiiiiiiiiime

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3t6ek9bt said:
Uncle Si":3t6ek9bt said:

Not me. I want players on my team to play with fire and feelings. I don't want them just playing for the paycheck and being 'Whatever' regardless if they win or lose. Never forget and you might not repeat the mistake. Goes for the coaches too.

That makes no sense and is opposite of what I’m saying.

You want sniveling, whiny players who can’t bounce back from adversity?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2kcthk76 said:
Uncle Si":2kcthk76 said:
If that was apples and oranges then what was comparing it to the 1910s Red Sox?

I must have missed something, I don't see any reference to "the 1910s Red Sox."

It’s not that far up the thread.

Also, trying to nit pick all the variables of a loss as an excuse gives every team that loses an excuse.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2ggr3nv2 said:
Uncle Si":2ggr3nv2 said:
chris98251":2ggr3nv2 said:
Uncle Si":2ggr3nv2 said:
The Seahawks got over a super bowl loss in ten years. Patriots got over 2 losses in 4 years.

It’s not like these guys are walking up and down radio row asking for a hot mic to spill their guts. They are being asked. If Manning was there someone would bring up 43-8. I’m sure Ryan has fielded a question or two about 28-3.

Having played on Championship teams if your beat by a better player or team you hate it, you don't like it but it makes the fire burn hotter to come back and do it the next time. When your beat by your own coaches because they don't have the faith and or confidence in you to do what you do best and take away that moment then it's a lot harder, you were not able to give it your best shot due to not being given the opportunity.

If that play would have succeeded Bevell would have been given a nod for a awesome and gutsy play call instead of Lynch getting credit for willing us to a win and the O line taking control of the line of scrimmage in the biggest moment which is one option or Wilson throwing it to Lynch on the back side where he was wide open on that play as well.

The real issue with the players is that Bevell called a play that didn't use his best options, that lack of trust is the biggest issue not that it was a pass.

I don’t disagree. But the impact on how they approach their profession should be negligible. Also, any player worth the money they’re paid should be examining the game to its most minute detail and could’ve found dozens of plays that could’ve gone a different way, including the positive changes the offense made in the second half and the drop in play by the D.

Putting it all on one play is contrary to how they prepare.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I like Luke. Dude is probably the most entertaining interview the Hawks have had for quite a few years now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2859389n said:
chris98251":2859389n said:
Uncle Si":2859389n said:
chris98251":2859389n said:

I don’t disagree. But the impact on how they approach their profession should be negligible. Also, any player worth the money they’re paid should be examining the game to its most minute detail and could’ve found dozens of plays that could’ve gone a different way, including the positive changes the offense made in the second half and the drop in play by the D.

But the coach that didn't trust your best players than throws the guy that should not have had the ball thrown to him under the bus in a post game interview, to the players that's a chicken shit cop out move, especially when the best were not given a chance to win or lose in that situation. Adding insult to that the guy is back the next season like nothing happened. That's hard to swallow at any level of being human let alone a player in the NFL.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":1y5sqkpi said:
But the coach that didn't trust your best players than throws the guy that should not have had the ball thrown to him under the bus in a post game interview, to the players that's a chicken shit cop out move, especially when the best were not given a chance to win or lose in that situation. Adding insult to that the guy is back the next season like nothing happened. That's hard to swallow at any level of being human let alone a player in the NFL.

I agree, I can't think of a better way to make a bad situation worse. Whether a play is a good play or not can only be judged within the context of each situation. At that time, in that situation, and with that much on the line? That's why it will forever be known as the worst play call in the entire history of the Super Bowl.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3qkajpu1 said:
Uncle Si":3qkajpu1 said:
chris98251":3qkajpu1 said:
Uncle Si":3qkajpu1 said:

On one play. Ignoring everything else he had done previously. Hell.. Brady threw a goaline INT earlier in the same game. Good players and coaches look at it in its entirety. Or should..

What eve has done since was worth firing. Not that play, as bad as it was.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3k1g0r09 said:
pittpnthrs":3k1g0r09 said:
Uncle Si":3k1g0r09 said:

That makes no sense and is opposite of what I’m saying.

You want sniveling, whiny players who can’t bounce back from adversity?
I agree Si..
Learn from it and move on,that play is done and gone from me.
You can't change it and multiple things went wrong in it..

D

DomeHawk

The players have every right to be angry about that play. The Seahawks went from dynasty status to worst-play-call-in-history status in one single play. The players worked hard to establish their legacy and the coaches blew it, not them. Listen to Willson, "it was the worst day in my life." He has a right to his feelings AND to freely express them, that is what makes this organization so great. Does that make him a whiner? Does that affect his play to this day? Absolutely not, these are professional athletes, they are motivated by their competitive nature not their vindictiveness.

Lots of people in all walks of life have things happen in life that have affected them greatly, they shouldn't have to endure being called whiners or that they should just "get over it," venting is a very human process.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
How many threads do we need about one play? Get over it already.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":asbucb29 said:
The players have every right to be angry about that play. The Seahawks went from dynasty status to worst-play-call-in-history status in one single play. The players worked hard to establish their legacy and the coaches blew it, not them. Listen to Willson, "it was the worst day in my life." He has a right to his feelings AND to freely express them, that is what makes this organization so great. Does that make him a whiner? Does that affect his play to this day? Absolutely not, these are professional athletes, they are motivated by their competitive nature not their vindictiveness.

Lots of people in all walks of life have things happen in life that have affected them greatly, they shouldn't have to endure being called whiners or that they should just "get over it," venting is a very human process.

Are you purposefully confusing the argument? Because it’s about how not firing coaches has somehow doomed this team the last three years. They should be angry about their crap defensive performance in the 2nd half. Or how poorly they played offense in the first. Or Wilson for the throw.

It makes no sense to point to one play as the ultimate decider in a game with a hundred plays and weeks of preparation.

None. It’s contrary to the whole spirit of team

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ea798ix said:
DomeHawk":2ea798ix said:

Are you purposefully confusing the argument? Because it’s about how not firing coaches has somehow doomed this team the last three years. They should be angry about their crap defensive performance in the 2nd half. Or how poorly they played offense in the first. Or Wilson for the throw.

It makes no sense to point to one play as the ultimate decider in a game with a hundred plays and weeks of preparation.

None. It’s contrary to the whole spirit of team
Yep, Even the dude that was asking Luke Willson about "The Play" either A.> a non '12' that was trying to get under the skin of Seahawks fans, or B.> is amongst those fans that are fixated on the past, and don't know how to let shit go.