Lane "out a while," Simon out 4 weeks; Burley to nickel CB.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 8m
Carroll says Jeremy Lane will be out a while with groin injury.

John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 8m
For now Carroll says Marcus Burley is the nickel CB with Lane injured.

DAVIS HSU ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 6m
Carroll says 4 weeks for Simon to get back-

Our CB depth will be tested early this year. Sounds like both Lane and Simon will be out for several games.

Marcus Burley, acquired from the Colts last week for a 6th round pick, will be our nickel CB.

Some background on Burley (from the Colts SB Nation Blog): "Burley was an undrafted corner in 2013 and spent the year with the Jaguars. The Colts signed him this offseason and he had a great training camp and preseason, being one of the stars for the Colts. Beyond any doubt, Burley did a great job in camp and preseason with the Colts, and he certainly played worthy of a roster spot. The problem he encountered was that the Colts also had several other corners."

If you read the user comments on the linked blog entry, you'll see that he was thought highly of by Colts fans. They seemed quite disappointed that Grigson traded him, even though he was largely unknown player who netted a 6th round pick (pretty good haul). That being said, he was still projected near the bottom of their depth chart. The fact that we likely got some intel from Gus before trading for him gives me some relief. He's in for a big test.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well.... Can I say....)&)(*&^!%@^#*(&)_.

OK...I did, now someone STEP into that role of your career is on the line.

I Like that.

Mick063

Reaction score
This is an opportunity for Burly.

Carroll will coach him up. His LOB peers will set the bar high. Thomas III will teach him how to be a professional.

All is well.

GoHawks

Reaction score
I would have thought that in Nickel Cvg they could put Deshawn Shead at the RCB position and move Byron Maxwell to NCB to replace Lane, but they put Burley - the new guy they just picked up from the Colts at NCB to replace Lane

They must not trust Shead or consider him to be a good replacement for Maxwell at RCB

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
We're absolutely going to have to bring in another CB for the next few weeks, preferably with some experience. Burley just made his NFL debut and Shead has been certifiably horrid when asked to play CB. We could have really used AJ Jefferson right about now.

warden

Reaction score
Another nickel option is to put ET in as CB to cover the slot and have Johnson cover ET safety position

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
GoHawks":2hizw49y said:
I would have thought that in Nickel Cvg they could put Deshawn Shead at the RCB position and move Byron Maxwell to NCB to replace Lane, but they put Burley - the new guy they just picked up from the Colts at NCB to replace Lane

They must not trust Shead or consider him to be a good replacement for Maxwell at RCB

Neither Maxwell nor Shead have the athletic profile to be a true nickel CB. The position requires some lateral quickness. Even when Thurmond was starting at RCB early last year, he would slide inside to defend the slot in nickel packages while Maxwell was used outside. Maxwell and Shead are suited for the outside where their length and physicality can be a factor.

Burley had pretty elite speed/quickness numbers at his pro day (4.35/40; 6.65 3-cone). Those are considered elite numbers for any CB/WR. His poor vert and lack of size probably makes him bad fit to play outside corner for Seattle, but make him a strong fit to defend the slot.

GoHawks

Reaction score
warden":nc3j88zm said:
Another nickel option is to put ET in as CB to cover the slot and have Johnson cover ET safety position

I was thinking about this too. If you recall Earl played the NCB the during the ProBowl game, and did well

Kind of a pick your poison, as whomever replaces Earl at FS may be a liability similar to whomever replaces Lane at NCB

Tical21

Reaction score
warden":3r0nfzqm said:
This ALMOST is a really great idea. The problem is that our defense the way it is doesn't work if Earl isn't back deep. As much as I would rather see Johnson on the field rather than Shead or a CB off the street, I think the value we get in the way that we use Earl back there trumps the difference between Johnson at FS and a newly acquired nickel corner.

GoHawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21t85ybx said:
GoHawks":21t85ybx said:

Neither Maxwell nor Shead have the athletic profile to be a true nickel CB. The position requires some lateral quickness. Even when Thurmond was starting at RCB early last year, he would slide inside to defend the slot in nickel packages while Maxwell was used outside. Maxwell and Shead are suited for the outside where their length and physicality can be a factor.

Burley had pretty elite speed/quickness numbers at his pro day (4.35/40; 6.65 3-cone). Those are considered elite numbers for any CB/WR. His poor vert and lack of size probably makes him bad fit to play outside corner for Seattle, but make him a strong fit to defend the slot.

Burley definitely lacks a vert

tempcst_K2V2433--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
GoHawks":1apj1n90 said:
DavidSeven":1apj1n90 said:
GoHawks":1apj1n90 said:

He also knocked that pass away though, IIRC.

Sucks about Lane and Tharold, but if any team can survive, it's this one.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":14bhfalo said:
GoHawks":14bhfalo said:
DavidSeven":14bhfalo said:
GoHawks":14bhfalo said:

He also knocked that pass away though, IIRC.

Sucks about Lane and Tharold, but if any team can survive, it's this one.

Yeah, technically we only have to survive pretty much until the bye week, right, they should both be back by Week 5, Week 6.

I wouldn't mind the. Seahawks giving Champ Bailey a call, now that we don't have to gaurantee the entirety of his contract and we practically can rent him out for as many games we need to

jlwaters1

Reaction score
We'll be fine the coaches will adjust to the personnel. I think Burley played well and will get plenty of time against the Chargers. I think the Bronco's will be the bigger challenge than the Chargers. Then we've got a bye week so perhaps Simon or Lane will be back after that bye week.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seattle is working out former UDFA Keith Lewis on Sunday. 6'1 CB with a 4.45/40. He was one of Tampa Bay's final roster cuts.

GoHawks

Reaction score
NFL Draft Diamonds ‏@DraftDiamonds Sep 4
We are learning that Keith Lewis the former Virginia Lynchburg CB has a workout with the Seahawks on Sunday @FieldGulls

Zach Whitman @zjwhitman · 19h
Both Burley and Lewis said to have played well in PS, elite speed -- SEA needs to hit on one of the two to fill big hole in CB depth.

That 114 pSPARQ off a 4.45s 40 -- repoted to have run much faster, and fits nickel prototype + longer arms than Burley. (31-5/8" to 29-7/8")

Keith Lewis, CB, VAL -- 5103/194 lbs/31-5/8" A -- 4.45s 40/1.55s 10/4.11s SS/6.89s 3C/14 BP/31" V/10'3" B -- 114 pSPARQ

Zach Whitman @zjwhitman · 20h
Seattle rumored signing CB Keith Lewis -- strikingly similar athletic profile to M. Burley -- Elite speed/agility, poor vert, average broad.

[youtube]1kr1zCOcBZw[/youtube]

[youtube]Zx9lBn6AZbc[/youtube]

BamKam

Reaction score
Who are our next 2 opponents? Two teams Champ Bailey is EXTREMELY familiar with.... Chargers and Broncos. Makes sense but im not a GM for a reason.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
BamKam":3bp1dbi1 said:
Who are our next 2 opponents? Two teams Champ Bailey is EXTREMELY familiar with.... Chargers and Broncos. Makes sense but im not a GM for a reason.

If you're just putting a body out there, might as well get someone who's cheap and has upside. Bailey got burnt so badly in the Super Bowl, KFC called to ask about the extra crispy recipe.