Lance traded to Cowboys

Marvin49

Reaction score
Just take the L, Niners fans.

Its an L. No question.

To be honest I'm bummed out over it. I really like Trey and that doesn't change now that he's been traded.

I see so many saying its the worst trade ever...and to be fair there may be some merit to that, but reality is that circumstances had alot more to do with it than flat missing on a pick.

If they don't take Purdy, I don't think this happens. Jury is still out on him so not claiming he's a franchise guy, but the fact that he played so well last year painted the 49ers into a corner. They couldn't very well make Trey the starter the way they did last year after Purdy played so well...which means Trey was never going to get the playing time he needed.

The bummer for me is that I still think he could develop if given the opportunity to do so. Dallas seems an odd fit tho. I don't see him getting that time there either but I don't have to worry about that anymore.

So...no question whatsoever....worst decision of the Lynch/Shanahan era. No hiding from it. There are excuses to be made RE injuries and the emergence of Brock, but in the end its a huge loss of draft capitol with little return. I've been critical of trades the Seahawks have made with their 1st rounders (Harvin, Adams, etc) so can't very well say now that its not the same. At least Harvin and Adams played/are playing. I'm surprised he got traded to be honest. I didn't think a team would give up what it would require for the 49ers to move off of him. 4th round is higher than I expected, plus Trey himself asking for the trade were IMO what got it moving.

I don't see it as "setting franchise back 12 years" as one particular poster has said, but certainly they could have used those picks at spots where they are thin...like NCB or OL.

All of the extra comp 3s help mitigate it as well has hitting on late round picks, but I'm not going to pretend not having those 1st rounders had or will not have any impact.

Trey needs time. 49ers didn't have the time to give him and 2 different injuries ensured that. Effectively they ran out of time.

If Brock turns out to be THE guy, it will likely all be forgotten fiarly quickly. If he's not, that'll be really bad mojo.

I will say tho that I learned something in the last few days. It is really odd to me how the national media pivots SOOOO quickly from "This guy can't play" to "he's the savior of a different franchise". I se now how the national media was all over Darnold in SF. They are doing the same thing for Trey in Dallas. I mean now he's a threat to Dak? Come on now. Just another lesson in the national media only being interested in the story, and not the reality.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes sense. Sounds like he's a good kid. Just clearly hasn't had a chance overall. Maybe sitting behind Dak will help. The Hawks have had some clunker trades, so we finally get a chance to laugh the other way. But, set back 12 years? Yeah, no. Your team is still loaded and a legit contender.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The 9ers Twitter account has basically been blowing smoke for at least a year. Maybe more. @Marvin49 do you finally get it?

Minnesota didn’t even pursue Lance, and Cowboys Will Grier who will get fired regardless put up multiple scores over Raiders. You saw what Lance did against that same team 2 weeks ago. Do you admit being taken in by 49ers marketing?
um...what do I need to get that I didn't get before.

You were basically attacking his character for staying with the team after injury. Not clear whatsoever what that has to do with any of this.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think Ks/jl started to lose faith by late 2021 and just now have admitted that It’s dumb to snow fans. You would seriously have to believe in Santa as @Marvin49 apparently does to not have seen the Niners marketing snow job vs actual reality.

They had announced Lance would start 2022 as the starter, paying Nate Sudfeld 2m guaranteed to be qb2, with Garoppolo off working to the side and excluded from meetings. Something Made them decide to pay this Person they had so visibly shunned. Call it instinct, call It first inklings. And while fans did not gloat over the injury, most were relieved that Jimmy would be taking over As of week 2, gaining enough success to inspire the cmc trade. Lance wouldn’t have had the team in contention to have made the attempt in October.

But they had to keep snowing the fans on how Trey was present In meetings with his scooter and his motivational insight As a leader When the whole point is he allegedly needs reps, not reinforcement as a coach.

Now you are rewriting history.

Jimmy was resigned because there was nothing else out there for him and he drastically lowered his salary. That was an unforeseen event that facilitated his resigning.

Sudfeld was signed because they wanted a vet backup for Trey, but Purdy beat him out. Jimmy was that backstop option that they didn't think would be available to them.

Point being, they were ALWAYS trying to have a vet backup to Trey. That didn't change in camp. The only things that changed were that they had a better option than anticipated.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Now you are rewriting history.

Jimmy was resigned because there was nothing else out there for him and he drastically lowered his salary. That was an unforeseen event that facilitated his resigning.

Sudfeld was signed because they wanted a vet backup for Trey, but Purdy beat him out. Jimmy was that backstop option that they didn't think would be available to them.

Point being, they were ALWAYS trying to have a vet backup to Trey. That didn't change in camp. The only things that changed were that they had a better option than anticipated.

They did have a vet backup in Nate Sudfelds. They guaranteed him 2m then cut him. They could have found some vet after cuts to sit behind Trey, but offloaded 7 m for JimmyG.

The palpable whoosh of relief was beyond obvious in the Bay Area once Jimmy was reseated due to Trey’s injury. Had that not happened, far more likely those “growing” pains would mean that the 9ers were not in contention by October For cmc and was handed toward Being Zach Wilson or Mac Jones.

Marvin49

Reaction score
They did have a vet backup in Nate Sudfelds. They guaranteed him 2m then cut him. They could have found some vet after cuts to sit behind Trey, but offloaded 7 m for JimmyG.

The palpable whoosh of relief was beyond obvious in the Bay Area once Jimmy was reseated due to Trey’s injury. Had that not happened, far more likely those “growing” pains would mean that the 9ers were not in contention by October For cmc and was handed toward Being Zach Wilson or Mac Jones.

Why are you making my point for me?

That's what I said. They were always going to backstop Trey with a vet. A MUCH better one because available. Sudfeld also got beaten out by Purdy. Jimmy took an ENORMOUS paycut to be the backup.

The "palpable whoosh" is completely false. What that injury virtually assured was ANOTHER offseason of "who will be the QB" and that came to fruition. Nobody saw Purdy coming.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Why are you making my point for me?

That's what I said. They were always going to backstop Trey with a vet. A MUCH better one because available. Sudfeld also got beaten out by Purdy. Jimmy took an ENORMOUS paycut to be the backup.

The "palpable whoosh" is completely false. What that injury virtually assured was ANOTHER offseason of "who will be the QB" and that came to fruition. Nobody saw Purdy coming.

You’re watching Trey Lance through preseason, game 1 and a quarter of 2 and you’re not a tiny bit relieved jimmy g made his necessary enttrance?

Marvin49

Reaction score
You’re watching Trey Lance through preseason, game 1 and a quarter of 2 and you’re not a tiny bit relieved jimmy g made his necessary enttrance?

Trey didn't look bad in preseason. Week 1 was the monsoon game. Trey was 2 of 3 for 30 yards vs Seattle.

No, I wasn't relieved to see Jimmy. I was crushed because I knew this would be ANOTHER wasted year for Trey.

I knew he'd have some down games last year, but the point was that he needed those reps.

...and then the following week they layed an egg in Denver.

Weadoption

Reaction score
in that moment at that time, i don’t think anyone doubted we could still win football games with Jimmy, until he gets hurt.
But I expected erratic play from Lance, was keeping my expectations very low with him and turns out they weren’t even low enough. But honestly I don’t recall thinking he’s a bust in the preseason games, just that we were gonna see growing pains with young raw Lance running Kyle’s hyper variant offense. I think Kyle got in over his head thinking he could dumb the system down for him. But they traded a lot to get this guy so it may be rough but they know what they are doing. That was my exact mindset. Fan hopium maybe but we all do it. But I was expecting to see dynamite athleticism from Lance, but never did and still really havent. That’s the part of Lance that perplexes me to this day. He has elite indecisiveness when he runs. How did the front office think they were getting an elite runner? What were they looking at?

Marvin49

Reaction score
in that moment at that time, i don’t think anyone doubted we could still win football games with Jimmy, until he gets hurt.
But I expected erratic play from Lance, was keeping my expectations very low with him and turns out they weren’t even low enough. But honestly I don’t recall thinking he’s a bust in the preseason games, just that we were gonna see growing pains with young raw Lance running Kyle’s hyper variant offense. I think Kyle got in over his head thinking he could dumb the system down for him. But they traded a lot to get this guy so it may be rough but they know what they are doing. That was my exact mindset. Fan hopium maybe but we all do it. But I was expecting to see dynamite athleticism from Lance, but never did and still really havent. That’s the part of Lance that perplexes me to this day. He has elite indecisiveness when he runs. How did the front office think they were getting an elite runner? What were they looking at?

They were looking at 1100 yards and 10+ TDs rushing in 1 college season and most of his runs were right up the middle.

I agree with most of this.

I think any Niner fan that was paying a little attention was expecting him to struggle a bit early and get better with reps as the season went on.

I was at the Seattle game. I was there when he broke the ankle. Entire crowd was silent when we heard "Trey Lance down after the play" or something to that effect from the game announcer. They didn't show the injury in stadium so had to hear how bad it was from friends who were texting me and saw it on TV.

49ers won 27-7 against a hated division rival that day and I was acutely depressed after the game. We'd gone from finally getting to see what Trey can do to another year of Jimmy and all the limitations thereof.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Hes indecisive at passing too.

So, like Peter King, I don’t get it With Dallas. It’s not like he has a Buddy invested In him. Dak can treat him like that pain in the ass trainee shadower you have to babysit, but that’s not reps.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hes indecisive at passing too.

So, like Peter King, I don’t get it With Dallas. It’s not like he has a Buddy invested In him. Dak can treat him like that pain in the ass trainee shadower you have to babysit, but that’s not reps.

Honestly I think he'd have been better served staying in SF.

He requested the trade tho and they gave it to him. Funny tho...one of the other teams bidding was Buffalo. Not like he'd get reps there either.

Weadoption

Reaction score
They were looking at 1100 yards and 10+ TDs rushing in 1 college season and most of his runs were right up the middle.

I agree with most of this.

I think any Niner fan that was paying a little attention was expecting him to struggle a bit early and get better with reps as the season went on.

I was at the Seattle game. I was there when he broke the ankle. Entire crowd was silent when we heard "Trey Lance down after the play" or something to that effect from the game announcer. They didn't show the injury in stadium so had to hear how bad it was from friends who were texting me and saw it on TV.

49ers won 27-7 against a hated division rival that day and I was acutely depressed after the game. We'd gone from finally getting to see what Trey can do to another year of Jimmy and all the limitations thereof.
that must have been a long walk to the car.
I recall one of those in Sacramento, when Kobe and Shaq beat us at home in game 7. People were sobbing their way to cars was an incredible mass display of mourning.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
They forgot that they were looking at the Missouri Valley Conference instead of the NFC West.