LA by yourself

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I've been looking to get over for a game and am determined to do it this season. The game that works out the best for me logistically is the Rams away MNF game.

Now my knowledge of LA is based on being a fan of the marvellous TV show The Shield. With that in mind I'm assuming that I'm going to have to declare colours when I arrive. I'm leaning towards the Farmington one niners unless they still beefing with Spook Street.

Other issues that spring to mind, is LA really a place you can hang for like 2-3 nights?

Is is best to stay near the coliseum or is best to be elsewhere and travel?

Is it safe for a single away fan, do seahawks fans congregate anywhere?

What are the absolute must sees?

Where can I get the best meth?

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I went to the game last year at the Colisuem and I found it to be a 50-50 crowd between Rams and Seahawks fans. I already have my plane tickets booked for the game this season. It shouldn't be too bad.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The public transportation in LA is awful. It will be cheaper to rent a car for 2 or 3 days than to take Ubers everwhere.

I'd find an airbnb on the west side (venice or something).

There's a lot to do.

Like any American city LA has more violence than you'll be used to, but as a tourist I wouldn't worry about it at all -- never been to the UK but pick pocketing isn't really a thing in the US the same way it is in Europe, and it's not like tourists are getting stuck up or anything at a rate that's worth being worried about.

The thing that's going to be most surprising to you is all the homeless people with clear mental disorders who are wandering around raging out and sleeping on the streets, and that nobody seems to think that's weird.

Coming from the UK you probably complain about some of the finer details of the NHS and the social safety net, but now you'll get to see what the world is like in a rich country that doesn't have those things. It's not pretty.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Los Angeles is a wonderful city. There's a reason why 10+ million people decide to live there. There is plenty to do for weeks, so I would think you shouldn't have a problem keeping busy for 3 days. Just be smart about where you stay & go, same as any other large city around the world. The traffic is bad, so something may look close (10 miles away), but can take an hour.

aawolf

Reaction score
I lived in the LA area for 14 years before moving. I have family that still lives there though I live in NC. On a recent trip with my family, we did the tourist thing and booked a bus tour of LA, which was well worth the price to see all the sites in quick succession. They give you time to walk around at each stop. Here's the website: https://www.rastabus.com/#home

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't rent a car unless you love being stressed out to the max. I consider myself a really good driver but the greater LA area is a maze of interstates... and if you're not in the correct lane to transition from one freeway to the next, forget about it. You're stuck going somewhere that you don't want to go to.

And that's not even considering the shift of your having to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd recommend it with the understanding that it's going to be a much calmer vibe than a Seahawks home game. There's a ton of stuff to do in LA but almost all of the touristy stuff is outside of the city (hollywood, universal studios, long beach, the observatory on the hill, getty, santa monica). Uber is fine for a football focused trip but you'll want a rental car if you're doing the other stuff.

Wearing Hawks colors is a complete non-issue and a minority of LA residents are Rams fans. December is great in LA and lots of Hawks fans will be taking the excuse to spend the weekend down there.

efried78

Reaction score
I live in LA, I'm from the Seattle area. I've gone to 2 Seahawks @ Rams games at the Coliseum. The first game was the home opener for the Rams in LA. That game was great, fans were excited to be there, everyone was friendly and having a good time talking trash to each other in a fun way. It was about a 50/50 split between Hawks and Rams fans. Fun times. Second game was last year. I had great seats - 10 rows up, right on the 50 yard line on the Seahawks side of the field. I paid a lot for the tickets thinking that I'd have another great experience. I took my wife and we both wore our Seahawks jerseys, hats, etc. What a terrible experience! Besides losing the game, we were heckled and screamed at the entire game by a group of drunk fans. They seemed to think that by yelling at us, it would help the Rams win as they directed all of their heckling of Russell at us, it was drunk logic at it's finest. On top of that, the guy behind me kept spitting sunflower seeds on my seat every time I stood up. I asked him many times to stop and he would just shrug and say "if you stop standing up, I'll stop spitting on your seat". He was there with a big group of drunk a-holes and I didn't feel like starting a fight, so I let it go. My wife was appalled at their behavior and doesn't want to go to a game at that stadium again. I don't blame her.

All of that said, it's a mixed bag. My first game was great, second, I sat next to a bunch of d-bags. You never know. It's a great city to visit, like others have said, there's plenty to do. The city is relatively safe compared to other large US cities. I say, go for it, but know that you might have to deal with jerks. I'm sure this isn't the only sports venue that is like that.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Before you go out somewhere, get information from the concierge about where you are going.

My wife, daughter, and I were in LA to go to Disneyland, and were going to meet up with my sister. Because the child restraint laws are different between our countries, we didn't realise we had to have a car-seat for our 5-year old. So we took a cab to the nearest Wal*Mart to get a cheap car seat.

The cab dropped us off at a mall and we did our shopping - no problems. Thought it a bit odd there was a cheque-cashing place in the Wal*Mart, but otherwise nothing too strange. However, when we went to get a cab back, apparently we were in an area where cabs dare not go. We had the police stopping and asking us if all was ok, and the next time they came by and we were still there, they actually sorted a cab for us.

Nice cops, but the moral of the story is don't go to the mall on Martin Luther King Blvd. without securing a return trip.

I should mention that being from Auckland, we're used to seeing people of all different kinds everywhere, so we weren't at all sensitive to looking at the ethnic mix around us. LA is far more polarised and segregated in that regard.

ivotuk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3axfz839 said:
I've been looking to get over for a game and am determined to do it this season. The game that works out the best for me logistically is the Rams away MNF game.

Now my knowledge of LA is based on being a fan of the marvellous TV show The Shield. With that in mind I'm assuming that I'm going to have to declare colours when I arrive. I'm leaning towards the Farmington one niners unless they still beefing with Spook Street.

Other issues that spring to mind, is LA really a place you can hang for like 2-3 nights?

Ohio, Tom Arnold's sister has the best! Oh, wait, she got busted. I'd hit up the Mexican Mafia.

Vesuve

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":t51slftk said:

I lived in LA for a year.

I go there by myself to visit snd love it. Hollywood, Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice.

Star houses tours are a good way to see the city from a lot of vistas, angles, and streets.

flv

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1q7bz44p said:

A good place to ask would be the NFL UK site. Posters there tend to be less partisan when giving advice. You might also ask on a Rams site and if you do the site i'd recommend would be Ramsondemand. Generally Rams fans aren't enamoured with the Coliseum so unless it's specifically on your bucket list you might want to wait until the Rams move to Inglewood.

Obviously when it comes to meth nowhere is going to compete with what you're used to in Chesterfield. :whistle: