Kyle Shanahan on No. 1 WRs

original poster

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2xnnowfz said:
I remember the year we won our chip, Russ had a statement that flashed during one of our games showing how many different receivers he'd hit thus far. It was crazy. I gotta find the stat...

I remember that, it was something ludicrous!

adeltaY

Reaction score
Baldwin underrated ITT. I think he's a matchup problem, his release off the line is arguably the best in the NFL.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
There has been more big time #1 WR's in the SB than I expected. Maybe Bruce and Holt are not the #1 WR's like many picture but those dudes were a lot bigger than the likes of Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith who I did not include. I also left out Anquan Boldin who has crazy numbers but I don't think fits the #1 prototype WR. Even Antonio Brown is not 6'3 but the dude is arguably the best in the game the last 3 years so he is in my list.

Fact is only 2/9 super bowls with Top WR's won since 2000, what worse is only 2 of 18 super bowls had a prototype #1 WR. Why do WR's get so dang much money??? It blows my mind.

Julio Jones in 2017 = L
Demerius Thomas in 2014 = L
Antonio Brown in 2011 = L
Larry Fitzgerald in 2009 = L
Randy Moss in 2008 = L
Reggie Wayne in 2007 = W
Terrell Owens in 2005 = L
Issac Bruce & Tory Holt 2002 = L
Issac Bruce & Tory Holt 2000 = W

chris98251

Reaction score
Because you have Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, Paul Warfield, Terrell Owens. So many of you need to look back at what made the NFL what it is, you see glamour now but the ideas and reasons go back farther then 10 year, it's been around a bit longer then that.

mikeak

Reaction score
sdog1981":1euwnug5 said:
mikeak":1euwnug5 said:
sdog1981":1euwnug5 said:
Trrrroy":1euwnug5 said:
Payriots haven't had a #1 since Moss. Eagles don't have one. Seahawks never had one. Saints have role player wideouts. What was the last superbowl winning team with a true #1 reciever? The Colts with Wayne and Harrison? Giants with plaxico? It's been a while.

Edelman has had 165 targets two years ago.
Gronk has had more than 100 targets for 4 seasons in a row.

Yes the pats have always had a number one WR. They do not spread the targets out that much.

So listing a TE proves that you always need a number one WR?

That goes back to the Jimmy Grah arbitration case when his argument was he was a pass catcher and a number one target not just a TE.

That is incorrect

Graham’s argument was that he was lined up as a wideout for a certain percentage of the snaps. The number of passes / catches was irrelevant

mikeak

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1qc8bz7v said:
There has been more big time #1 WR's in the SB than I expected. Maybe Bruce and Holt are not the #1 WR's like many picture but those dudes were a lot bigger than the likes of Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith who I did not include. I also left out Anquan Boldin who has crazy numbers but I don't think fits the #1 prototype WR. Even Antonio Brown is not 6'3 but the dude is arguably the best in the game the last 3 years so he is in my list.

Fact is only 2/9 super bowls with Top WR's won since 2000, what worse is only 2 of 18 super bowls had a prototype #1 WR. Why do WR's get so dang much money??? It blows my mind.

Julio Jones in 2017 = L
Randy Moss in 2008 = L
Reggie Wayne in 2007 = W

Ricardo Lockette in 2014 (2013 season) = L

sdog1981

Reaction score
mikeak":13y8jvtq said:
Wenhawk":13y8jvtq said:

Julio Jones in 2017 = L
Randy Moss in 2008 = L
Reggie Wayne in 2007 = W

Ricardo Lockette in 2014 (2013 season) = L

#SAVAGE

adeltaY

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3g2bqy8e said:

Julio Jones in 2017 = L
Randy Moss in 2008 = L
Reggie Wayne in 2007 = W

I think you can pin this down on chance and variance, tbh. Larry Fitz pretty much carried the Cards to the SB in 2009 - his playoff run is widely considered the greatest a WR has ever had. The rest were all big parts of getting their teams to the SB, they just couldn't win the last game.