KJ Wright

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
So after getting ADB locked up today, is KJ next in line for an extension? PC/JS have yet to make a serious commitment to extending a LB so far in their tenure.

For comparison purposes, Donald Butler signed a deal averaging $6.6m/year over 3 years with the Chargers and Perry Riley signed a deal for $4.33/year over 3 years with the Redskins. So it's safe to assume KJ would command somewhere in between those guys considering their production. KJ averages 89 tackles/season, Perry 91, and Butler 100.

So would you move forward with a deal averaging $5m/year for KJ?

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Wagner is far more important to lock up as far as linebackers go.

I think KJ is likely in his last year here. But I could easily be way off.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SLB is a key position in this defense in terms of getting off blocks and making plays against the run on the strongside, as well as covering the TE. The position becomes even more important with the loss of Red Bryant, who was so good at freeing up lanes for the LBs to make plays against the run.

There's a big drop off in play at that position from Wright to anyone else on the roster, including Irvin, Smith, or Morgan. Smith doesn't have the requisite length and strength to get off blocks to really succeed on the strongside. Irvin and Morgan lack the instincts. And they failed to sign a rookie LB with that combination of length and instincts to excel at the position, either in the draft or free agency.

endzorn

Reaction score
hawknation2014":7j8q50fb said:
SLB is a key position in this defense in terms of getting off blocks and making plays against the run on the strongside, as well as covering the TE. The position becomes even more important with the loss of Red Bryant, who was so good at freeing up lanes for the LBs to make plays against the run.

There's a big drop off in play at that position from Wright to anyone else on the roster, including Irvin, Smith, or Morgan. Smith doesn't have the requisite length and strength to get off blocks to really succeed on the strongside. Irvin and Morgan lack the instincts. And they failed to sign a rookie LB with that combination of length and instincts to excel at the position, either in the draft or free agency.
Wright played WLB last season in base defense (when Bryant was on the field) and Irvin played SLB. Wright is a nice player who makes up for his lack of speed with his incredible length. Smith is not a huge drop off from Wright, but Wright's versatility is unique.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
endzorn":15m0cgbd said:
hawknation2014":15m0cgbd said:

Wright played WLB last season in base defense (when Bryant was on the field) and Irvin played SLB. Wright is a nice player who makes up for his lack of speed with his incredible length. Smith is not a huge drop off from Wright, but Wright's versatility is unique.

And there was a huge drop off from Wright to Irvin at SLB, as well as a drop off in Wright's play in moving to WLB.

Ideally, this season each player will be allowed to play their natural positions: Wright will be the SLB, Smith will be the WLB, and Irvin will be allowed to rush the passer.

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see what Irvin can do with a year under his belt. I thought Wright was rock solid at WLBand because of what Seattle asks their SLB to do I think Irvin is physically a perfect fit.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
IMO, Smith>Wright at WLB and Wright>Irvin at SLB.

Wright averaged 6.1 tackles and zero INTs in 13 games at WLB. Those numbers were down from his 2012 campaign at SLB. Meanwhile, Smith averaged 6.8 tackles and .67 INTs per game in six games at WLB; he also returned two of those four INTs for TDs.

Also, according to PFF, Smith was in the Top 5 of all OLBs in run stop percentage (9.8% stops on 205 running downs). Irvin was DEAD LAST of all OLBs in run stop percentage (3.2% stops on 217 running downs).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ntage-lbs/

OP
OP
RobBaker7714409

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Any way you slice it, the linebacker room is going to look a lot different in 2015. After this season KJ, Malcolm Smith, Farwell, and Schofield are all UFAs and Mike Morgan will be a RFA. We'd be looking at Bruce, Bobby, and KPL as the starters if we don't retain somebody from that list. It'll also be interesting to see if Toomer can finally stay healthy and start contributing.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":1aq8d7q6 said:
Any way you slice it, the linebacker room is going to look a lot different in 2015. After this season KJ, Malcolm Smith, Farwell, and Schofield are all UFAs and Mike Morgan will be a RFA. We'd be looking at Bruce, Bobby, and KPL as the starters if we don't retain somebody from that list. It'll also be interesting to see if Toomer can finally stay healthy and start contributing.

I think they will want to re-sign one of either Smith or Wright. I imagine Wright will command more in free agency than Smith because his size makes him more versatile on the open market. The coaches have had their eye on Brock Croyle for a while, so he would be a candidate to surprise some people and become a contributor along with KPL and Toomer.

Erebus

Reaction score
I would be a little surprised to see Wright signed long term. They can't afford to pay everyone, so they must prioritize by locking up irreplaceable star players first. KJ Wright is not one of them, and not as fast as they would like to be at linebacker. I would take the Golden Tate approach with him. Offer him a modest deal, but don't try to match a much bigger deal he could receive on the open market.

He's a good player, but replaceable. And it doesn't matter if his replacement isn't on the roster yet. They can draft someone next year and start them as a rookie.

Jville

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":x15wpkri said:
So after getting ADB locked up today, is KJ next in line for an extension? PC/JS have yet to make a serious commitment to extending a LB so far in their tenure.

For comparison purposes, Donald Butler signed a deal averaging $6.6m/year over 3 years with the Chargers and Perry Riley signed a deal for $4.33/year over 3 years with the Redskins. So it's safe to assume KJ would command somewhere in between those guys considering their production. KJ averages 89 tackles/season, Perry 91, and Butler 100.

I'm thinking it is too soon to extend any of the 4th year linebackers.. KJ was playing his best ball ever ..... right up to the point where he hurt his foot. And I don't believe he has peaked yet. I also think they have a second 4th year linebacker in the running for a second contract consideration. Those considerations should play themselves out this season.

A note in passing: I recall many identifying defensive back Kam Chancelor as the odd man out a couple of years ago. We all know now that Kam did indeed get his second contract. However, not everyone here understands why. So, I would expect to hear more speculation about KJ or another linebacker being the odd man out. It's just the noise of fan speculation IMHO.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
LB'S are a plenty. I doubt we break the bank for any Lb. Wright is the most versatile on the team. He could play all 3 positions. But is not worth more than 4 mil. I'd like to see him on 2 year deal but he could fetch 6 mil from somebody

Seafan

Reaction score
I can't see Farwell, Morgan or Schofield making the roster barring injuries. Schofield is not likely to compete at LB since he'll be working strictly at LEO per Quinn.

Two players currently on the roster who have the potential to replace KJ at SLB are Irvin and Toomer. KJ may prove too valuable this season to let walk. Identifying a player to backup Wagner is going to be essential. Croyle or Toomer may get that spot.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":o6bd0fal said:

I'd trade Wright for Donald Butler strait up without question. If any LB on this team is going to get that kind of contract it's Wagner, who should actually get a better contract than both Butler and KJ. Playmakers get the money and Wagner makes a whole heck of a lot more plays than both of those players.

Best case scenario Wright is retained for 3+ million a year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I've said this before, but I think LB is one position group that the Seahawks can probably afford to keep turning over with cheap young talent. Our LBs aren't asked to do as much as LBs in other schemes; however, they must meet some basic physical requirements. They have to be either fast or long, because we do ask them to run after the ball and spy mobile QBs. Their primary task, however, is usually to fill a gap versus the run and stick to their zone in coverage. Just keep drafting 4.5/40 LBs, and you can keep that system running pretty smoothly, I think. In a lot of ways, KPL was probably our most predictable draft pick for that reason.

That being said, I do consider Wright and Wagner to be great players outside of the system requirements. However, I would think we probably only have enough room to re-sign just one of them, not both. So, if you're in favor of extending one, you'd probably have to be okay with letting go of the other. Tough call. I would think Bwagz has a better shot an extension, unless he plays himself into a huge contract.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We're spoiled with how good our LBs have been. Look at this chart that was published on hawkblogger today. Smith, Irvin, and Wright were all rated among the Top 13 4-3 OLBs in the league in 2013.

B7f95cb7 db3b 4706 a0c5 057ec5a64030

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Norton has something to do with their success. I could see Wright gone next year and K PL stepping into the Wlb spot then draft a 3rd or 4th rounder to replace Wagner the following season. Above avg LB and RB'S can be found in the 3rd round just about every year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2jcl5xlb said:

You are describing the SLB of the 2012 defense. The scheme now utilizes a SLB who can rush the passer and play interchangeable roles with the LEO. Thats been said many times by the coaching staff. The typical 4-3 SLB role may be ideal for KJ but this defense isn't your typical 4-3 defense. Dan Quinn uses too much of of 3-4 philosophy mix to keep him there.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3uqa2m4e said:
hawknation2014":3uqa2m4e said:

You are describing the SLB of the 2012 defense. The scheme now utilizes a SLB who can rush the passer and play interchangeable roles with the LEO. Thats been said many times by the coaching staff. The typical 4-3 SLB role may be ideal for KJ but this defense isn't your typical 4-3 defense. Dan Quinn uses too much of of 3-4 philosophy mix to keep him there.

No, the SLB and LEO being interchangeable in this defense isn't anything new. Carroll has been saying that since he was at USC. He had Brian Cushing, their starting SLB in 2005, start at weakside DE (the original conception of the "LEO" position) in 2006. Carroll then had Clay Matthews, their backup SLB, move to weakside DE in 2008.

And it's also not correct to say the SLB rushed the passer any more in 2013 than it did in 2010-2012; the SLB rushed the passer only 108 times last year.

It's also worth noting that in the Super Bowl, arguably one of the Seahawks' most dominant defensive performances, the coaches chose to play Wright at SLB, Smith at WLB, and Irvin as both a backup SLB and LEO.

Mick063

Reaction score
I like Wright a lot, but he seems to get nicked for short periods (sometimes a few series, sometimes a game or two). Maybe he is just a tough guy that keeps coming back and we have not seen him consistently healthy over a long period of time to demonstrate his true value. He flashes greatness and then disappears with a minor nick. Wagner is the guy they really, really must keep, but I would like them to keep Wright as well.

With respect to a future payday, this is a very important season in Irvin's career. He will likely have a place in this league for awhile, but now is the time to demonstrate how much he is truly worth. He really needs the breakout season this year, or the vocal doubters will begin to increasingly grow. Who knows? The light bulb may flick on and Irvin instantly becomes a monster. I have seen it happen with other players. Clinton McDonald being the last to do so.

Latest posts