KJ Wright

QuahHawk

Reaction score
2015 FA's- K. Wright, Malcolm Smith, Heath Farwell, and O'Brian Schofield
2016 FA's- Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin (5th year option available)
2017 FA's- Toomer (RFA)
2018 FA's- K. Pierre-lewis

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This could be the final year of truly dominant defense. Not to say the defense won't survive the losses of Wright, Smith, Avril, Maxwell, etc., only that this year's defense has a CHANCE to be one of the greatest of all time, surpassing the defense of last season.

The pass rushing combination of Avril, Bennett, and Irvin has a chance to be truly great; that's something we only saw in bursts last year because Bennett/Avril were adjusting to playing together and in this defense for the first time, and Irvin was used too much at SLB rather than rushing the passer at LEO or the five technique.

The depth at LB is pretty extraordinary right now. Wright, Wagner, Smith, plus Irvin as a rotational player, forms a pretty formidable combination. The LB corps could look completely different after this year, and there will undoubtedly be an adjustment period. if they lose Wright, Irvin will be needed again as the full-time SLB, rather than having more opportunities to rush the passer.

And the secondary is full of guys playing in their prime. Having both Maxwell and Lane at CB is huge. Maxwell is a free agent after this year, and Lane is a free agent after the next year. The amount of talent they have stockpiled over the last four years is amazing, but it will be hard to maintain now that these rookie contracts are being converted into massive, cap-eating deals.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think this year's draft picks tipped our FO's hand as to who they plan on keeping, and it isn't Wright........and it may not be Irvin either.

Marsh is a relentless versatile player that could fill in at the Leo for Irvin, and KPL is another versatile super quick and long LB that can take KJ's spot along with Smith if we can resign him for a reasonable price.

If I had to guess, we try to resign Smith and Wagner, and let Irvin and Wright walk.

kearly

Reaction score
I feel like I have the pulse of this team in the draft and FA, but when it comes to the players they keep both with extensions and at the 53 man cutdowns, I can't follow their thinking very well. For that reason, a pricey KJ Wright extension would bum me out, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Put me in the camp that wants to see Pete mine the draft for LBs every year and keep that position as cheap as possible. I would be fine with extending Smith, he's not going to cost much. But I trust our FO to continue to find slightly above average LBs for low draft picks. We have to leverage the draft somewhere to save money. What better place than 4-3 LB in a scheme that relies on front four pressure?

hawknation2014":21zxemo8 said:
We're spoiled with how good our LBs have been. Look at this chart that was published on hawkblogger today. Smith, Irvin, and Wright were all rated among the Top 13 4-3 OLBs in the league in 2013.

B7f95cb7 db3b 4706 a0c5 057ec5a64030

SMH at PFF for thinking Wright is a very poor run defender but one of the best coverage LBs in the league. Is it backwards day?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":31wl57re said:
SMH at PFF for thinking Wright is a very poor run defender but one of the best coverage LBs in the league. Is it backwards day?

Wright was a hair too slow against the run at times at WLB. He was much better the year before at SLB, and even in the Super Bowl while playing injured at SLB, he looked much more comfortable.

We also got better play from Smith at WLB in those final six games than we have seen at that position in about eight years.

Jville

Reaction score
Supply and Demand:

I do think there is something to be considered along the lines of supply and demand. Most years, I think there exists a useful supply of 4-3 sized WIL linebackers coming out of college. That is not the case with longer linebackers that virtually all 3-4 teams prefer or with the 4-3 teams who strive to include some 3-4 personnel. Seems to me some teams go wanting (shortage) for big long linebackers every year.

I would expect it to be more challenging and expensive to replace a capable big and long 6'4'' linebacker than the more common 6 foot linebacker. Supply and demand will almost certainly a factor in future retention considerations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S, I often SMH and roll the eyes at PFF charts. LOL.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If KJ is seen to be competing and setting an example as a competitor then I can see him re-upped here, price will be relevant.

Jville

Reaction score
I overlooked the report that Schneider has said that the team is not yet done in extending their own guys. So ..... the parameters for a contract extension for KJ is surely being discussed.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":br8sbj47 said:
I think this year's draft picks tipped our FO's hand as to who they plan on keeping, and it isn't Wright........and it may not be Irvin either.

Marsh is a relentless versatile player that could fill in at the Leo for Irvin, and KPL is another versatile super quick and long LB that can take KJ's spot along with Smith if we can resign him for a reasonable price.

If I had to guess, we try to resign Smith and Wagner, and let Irvin and Wright walk.
KPL is a Smith replacement, he's virtually a clone of Smith, I dont see him being a Wright player at all, he's 6-0, 225-230 lb there's no unique length with him

Seahawker86

Reaction score
PC and JS really value Wright. He has the size and enough speed to keep up with most TEs leaving Kam to roam more around freely when needed. Remember when he was down last year in S.F. ? Everyone was freaking out because we weren't sure how to fill that void.

I love KJ and I expect us to sign both Wagner and KJ to multi year deals.

Every great defense has their two core LBers. Wagner and KJ wright are our two core guys. That's not going to change. We will have the money.

I've said this before and I will keep saying it. Russell Wilson isn't going to command as much as you all expect. He is a winner and doesn't want to hamper his team by a 16-20 mil a year deal. Russell isn't money hungry, he just wasn't brought up that way. He's in it to win it. Taking a team friendly deal will help build a dynasty

chris98251

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2t4b00z4 said:
PC and JS really value Wright. He has the size and enough speed to keep up with most TEs leaving Kam to roam more around freely when needed. Remember when he was down last year in S.F. ? Everyone was freaking out because we weren't sure how to fill that void.

I love KJ and I expect us to sign both Wagner and KJ to multi year deals.

Every great defense has their two core LBers. Wagner and KJ wright are our two core guys. That's not going to change. We will have the money.

I've said this before and I will keep saying it. Russell Wilson isn't going to command as much as you all expect. He is a winner and doesn't want to hamper his team by a 16-20 mil a year deal. Russell isn't money hungry, he just wasn't brought up that way. He's in it to win it. Taking a team friendly deal will help build a dynasty

One thing we all know, it's always about the money, home town discounts happen granted, but usually when the options are from a losing franchise that is competing for services. The Seahawks will treat him right, after all looking at Sherms, Thomas and Kams contracts he will want to be "respected" as well.

Mojambo

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2pwxb8r0 said:

You're probably going to be really shocked and disappointed come next offseason.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Mojambo":38dpqi3g said:
kthebestwayw":38dpqi3g said:

You're probably going to be really shocked and disappointed come next offseason.

maybe he is endorsing a million different products because he really likes them......

RW will get market value, if he doesn't he will test free agency like they all do.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather pay KJ $3.4-4.5M than Wagner $6-7Mil. I think KJ's size and versatility is underrated and I thin Wagner is benifiting from the lin play and have a guy like KJ next to him. I up for keeping as many of our guys as possible and wa saying last pre-season that I' be ok lett Kam walk if it meant we could keep Sherm and Earl. With almost 30Mil in cap next season and a 50/50 chance Lynch is done we should have more than enough cap to extend RW and Wagner while resigning KJ.

Surprisingly KJ is wil be 25 this year and Wagner will be 24. I have faith JS has a plan, but i do see LB and one of the easier postions for a rookie to succeed and starting WLB's are found in 3rd and 4th round every year.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I love Russell Wilson, I do. He helped lead our team to its first Superbowl.

The fact of the matter is he is also benefiting from playing with one of the best defenses of all time, and has one of the best RBs in the game in Marshawn Lynch. He isn't a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Bree, Jay Cutler type QB. Those teams need these guys to perform to win games. If they perform poorly they team loses, plain and simple. They throw the ball 30-40 times a game and will be paid very highly to do so.

With RW only throwing about 20 times a game, yes b/c he is asked to only do so, the game really isn't put on his back to win it week in and week out. Let me repeat that...week in and week out. Meaning I am NOT saying that RW can't put A game or 2 on his shoulders and win it for us. He has done it before, but he isn't asked to do it as some of the Elite QBs are asked to do it.

Russell Wilson is not elite. He is however special in his own way and he does not turn the ball over which helps our defense out a lot by not putting them in bad situations via field position.

He is however in that second tier of QBs. The ones with unique qualities, that in the RIGHT SITUATION, will take you to the playoffs and give you a chance to make a run.

I listen to Brock and Danny's podcast every day almost. Danny has said that Russell Wilson is what he is and will never be that 30+ passes a game QB that some of us think he might be once Lynch is gone and we possibly no longer can lean this heavily on the running game. I truly believe in this statement.

Sherman, ET, Bennett, Kam...all guys who are either THE BEST at their respective position, or in that top or 2nd tier. They were paid in that right. RW is NOT in the top teir of QBs ala the top 5. P.Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and maybe even Cutler. Those guys command 17+ Million a year b/c they are the top tier.

Russell Wilson won't be paid more than 15 million a year. I see the actually betweeen 11-13 a year.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Wenhawk":16fheck6 said:
I'd rather pay KJ $3.4-4.5M than Wagner $6-7Mil. I think KJ's size and versatility is underrated and I thin Wagner is benifiting from the lin play and have a guy like KJ next to him. I up for keeping as many of our guys as possible and wa saying last pre-season that I' be ok lett Kam walk if it meant we could keep Sherm and Earl. With almost 30Mil in cap next season and a 50/50 chance Lynch is done we should have more than enough cap to extend RW and Wagner while resigning KJ.

Surprisingly KJ is wil be 25 this year and Wagner will be 24. I have faith JS has a plan, but i do see LB and one of the easier postions for a rookie to succeed and starting WLB's are found in 3rd and 4th round every year.

and we only have like 25 next year due to the Baldwin extension I believe. I could be wrong.

Meeker

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1f9x6unj said:
Russell Wilson won't be paid more than 15 million a year. I see the actually betweeen 11-13 a year.

You need to wake up from your dream.

sam1313

Reaction score
RW >>>> than Cutler, and it isn't close. I wouldn't trade him for any of the elite QBs you mentioned, and I don't think you have any evidence he can't throw 30-40 times a game successfully. That said, I agree somewhat about RW's upcoming contract, but I think it will be about 75-80% of what he could get elsewhere (20 mil), with a large portion of that guaranteed.

OH, and I love me some KJ. Please keep him. He and Kam really set the hitting tone for this defense.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Pete has mentioned many times how Kj has an unusually high football IQ.

I really doubt we just let him walk unless hes expecting a huge deal