Ken Norton Jr. as DC after all?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The team needed massive changes, it has happened. I figured plenty of people wouldn't like the hire, or the other hires. But give them a chance, and let's roll. Believe it or not, it doesn't matter what we as fans think, they are doing what they feel is best for the team. And they know a lot more than any fan out there about football.

firebee

Reaction score
Calm down people... I don't think Richard is going anywhere, but the DC title has to be offered to Ken Norton Jr in order for him to opt out of his contract in San Francisco. My gut feeling is that PC is trying to get the coaching staff back together that took us to the Super Bowl... Bradley, Norton Jr. and Richard... possibly Manuel. If it means coaches have to swap titles, even though they're still going to be doing what they normally do... so be it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
All people did, including myself, was whine and moan about Cable, Bevell etc. Now they are gone, have been replaced, and people still are whining and moaning. Good god, relax and see how it plays out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This just means Pete is taking back control of the Defense. Which is fine by me.

Some reports out of Oakland said Norton was pretty handicapped by Del Rio as a Defensive Coordinator and had to run what Del Rio told him to. He'll be in the same situation here is Seattle with Pete, but I trust Pete's Defensive gameplanning a whole lot more. He could make Norton look good. Norton can be the motivator for the Defense to do what Pete needs them to do.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":ayo5wiaa said:
Writer for Webzone, enough said.

Just for the record with no comment on his ability...

...the Webzone writer is correct. The 49ers could have blocked the move but did not. You can't block a coordinator becoming a HC, but you can block all other coaches.

Shanahan discussed it. Kenny told Shahahan he had an opportunity to be a DC again and Shanahan wasn't going to tell him he couldn't.

I don't think it has anything to do with ability. He jusrt wasn't going to stand in his way. I for one am bummed because I wanted to see Kenny mentor Reuben Foster.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24twqq12 said:
Ken just wanted to coach for a real team. :lol:

LOL. ha. ha.

Nah, I was excited to see Kenny back with the Niners. All well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":2pwwlmyy said:
chris98251":2pwwlmyy said:

...the Webzone writer is correct. The 49ers could have blocked the move but did not. You can't block a coordinator becoming a HC, but you can block all other coaches.

Shanahan discussed it. Kenny told Shahahan he had an opportunity to be a DC again and Shanahan wasn't going to tell him he couldn't.

I don't think it has anything to do with ability. He jusrt wasn't going to stand in his way. I for one am bummed because I wanted to see Kenny mentor Reuben Foster.
I heard there was a clause in Norton’s SF contract that said he could leave if he was offered the Seattle DC spot.

Jville

Reaction score
Ken Norton Jr. did indeed work within the frame work of Jack Del Rio defensive preferences and scheme. That was well published. So ..... Raider fans didn't get a true picture of what a Ken Norton Jr. variation of Pete Carroll's scheme looks like. They got robbed.

Given Pete's background with the defensive backs, I think a defensive coordinator with either a lineman or linebacker background imparts better coaching balance to the defensive. I have no eggs to throw at Kris Richard. But, I'm more confident with complimentary backgrounds from head coach and defensive coordinator.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I know this is a thread about Norton, but the lack of info on Richard is puzzling
Was he fired, let go, reassigned, put in witness protection...?

mrt144

Reaction score
Marvin49":1g1ijehw said:
chris98251":1g1ijehw said:

Kyle doesn't seem like a jerk. Well that's nice.

Hawk54

Reaction score
Surely Norton is back to keep the Defense from imploding? Ever since he departed there's been way too many sideline confrontations and ego driven manic episodes for this veteran team. Norton played under some of the greatest and most successful coaches in history so he must know a thing or two about working with a collection of Alpha dogs?

It's not like Pete will be carrying the defensive planning load himself. The team has an assistant for every assistant to make this work like it did beautifully from 2012-2015. If Norton's primary task is to motivate and Pete's is to plan then I say go for it.

I'm very happy to be positive about the new hires and if we get some luck with injuries next season the NFC West is going to be the battleground that sets us up to win another championship.

Seymour

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":59aq6jal said:
I know this is a thread about Norton, but the lack of info on Richard is puzzling

I don't think Pete wants to have to fire him. If he doesn't find another job, I suspect they may bring him back at a reduced position of some type myself.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":8h0lh2bc said:
oldhawkfan":8h0lh2bc said:

I don't think Pete wants to have to fire him. If he doesn't find another job, I suspect they may bring him back at a reduced position of some type myself.

Why would he want to fire the best secondary coach in NFL history?

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":pavecveh said:
Seymour":pavecveh said:
oldhawkfan":pavecveh said:

Very debatable and bold statement (considering who he was given)....some other day. And I did not ever indicate they should fire Richard.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":19tctzcu said:
hawknation2018":19tctzcu said:
Seymour":19tctzcu said:
oldhawkfan":19tctzcu said:

Very debatable and bold statement (considering who he was given)....some other day. And I did not ever indicate they should fire Richard.

The point is, Richard has been very successful with this team. So why would Pete want to fire him?

Own The West

Reaction score
I wonder if they might be thinking co-DCs? Or making KR AC/DB coach?

They were toying with some 4-2-5 concepts that provide some autonomy for different position groups last season, so this is not the craziest thing you will read on the interwebs today.

original poster

Reaction score
Own The West":3d92kkbc said:
I wonder if they might be thinking co-DCs? Or making KR AC/DB coach?

They were toying with some 4-2-5 concepts that provide some autonomy for different position groups last season, so this is not the craziest thing you will read on the interwebs today.

Absolutely possible.

I don’t think Richard would stick around, though. Real world demotions would cause all sorts of problems I’d imagine. The players, potentially, wouldn’t take him as seriously.

Be great if we could keep him on as a DB coach, though. He excels at it and was far from a bad DC.