Ken Norton Jr. as DC after all?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Aros":14h7ady7 said:
I love this. I really, really do. I just have a feeling he's going to be AWESOME for us. I don't know how, I don't know why, I just feel it...I know that won't satisfy you X's and O's guys but I freaking LOVE this signing.

I'm with you brother! I can't wait to see what changes he makes. I want that chip on the shoulder again.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
So Schottenheimer is a terrible hire because his offenses have been bad, but Norton is a great hire despite his defenses being bad. This board cracks me up at times.

In the end it's new blood and new ideas and hopefully the players will respond, because in the end it's on the players.

TBH, as long as we can develop a decent OL that can run and pass block to above average standards, we'll be a good team. That's been the refrain going back to 2016. Don't really care who the coordinators are. If we can't get the OL to perform better then no coordinator is going to raise this team from the dead.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2pw16d8w said:
LolaRox":2pw16d8w said:
Sigh... really? This is a trade down. I know many of you like him, but his defenses were not good in Oakland and certainly not better than Seattle's.

I'm disappointed that Kris may be fired for a dude coming from an awful defense. Unless this is about something internal and not x's & o's or play calling then I don't get this move.

This may be about getting the D players back in line. They tuned our Richard, and Ken will definitely command their respect and make these guys toe the line.

They turned on Richard? What evidence do you have of that or that they don't respect him?

If you're (and others) are saying Ken seems more fiery and 'in your face' than Kris, I would agree from the outside it seems that way, but that doesn't have anything to do with players being out of line or not respecting Kris.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WOW! Now THIS is a bit of a surprise for me! (but a pleasant one for my part). I know that people are going to be down on him due to his experiences in Oakland ... but I for one was not happy when Norton left. I LOVE the attitude -- the FIRE that this guy brings. He was a real asset when he was here IMO.

I know that some may blow this off ... but for me, a lot of success whether we're talking about coaching staffs ... or the players themselves ... depends upon chemistry. Is there a good chemistry that exists? Do coaches and players see eye to eye? Do they have the same (or similar) philosophies? Do they communicate well? Are they a cohesive group?

As I look at the cast of characters that Pete Carroll has now assembled ... I can honestly say I think so. Norton and Carroll (I think) really do see eye to eye (defense philosophy wise) -- much moreso that Carroll and Richard did. Norton strikes me as a guy who always looks to ATTACK the opponent ... rather than waiting for the opponent to come to him. He dictates to the offense rather than the other way around (which is kind of what I felt often was the case with Richard). I felt Richard was much more reactive ... whereas I see Norton being much more instinctive and predator-like -- taking it to the offense. That attack mode is MUCH more Pete Carroll.

I DO also feel that the players also like and respect Ken Norton a lot -- that is a major plus.

So, my preliminary gut reaction to this hire -- I like it. I like it a lot. We'll see if I still like it as much come next December, but for right now, I'm giving this one a thumbs up! Great move IMO. :2thumbs:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":z5x57hyv said:
WOW! Now THIS is a bit of a surprise for me! (but a pleasant one for my part). I know that people are going to be down on him due to his experiences in Oakland ... but I for one was not happy when Norton left. I LOVE the attitude -- the FIRE that this guy brings. He was a real asset when he was here IMO.

I know that some may blow this off ... but for me, a lot of success whether we're talking about coaching staffs ... or the players themselves ... depends upon chemistry. Is there a good chemistry that exists? Do coaches and players see eye to eye? Do they have the same (or similar) philosophies? Do they communicate well? Are they a cohesive group?

As I look at the cast of characters that Pete Carroll has now assembled ... I can honestly say I think so. Norton and Carroll (I think) really do see eye to eye (defense philosophy wise) -- much moreso that Carroll and Richard did. Norton strikes me as a guy who always looks to ATTACK the opponent ... rather than waiting for the opponent to come to him. He dictates to the offense rather than the other way around (which is kind of what I felt often was the case with Richard). I felt Richard was much more reactive ... whereas I see Norton being much more instinctive and predator-like -- taking it to the offense. That attack mode is MUCH more Pete Carroll.

I DO also feel that the players also like and respect Ken Norton a lot -- that is a major plus.

So, my preliminary gut reaction to this hire -- I like it. I like it a lot. We'll see if I still like it as much come next December, but for right now, I'm giving this one a thumbs up! Great move IMO. :2thumbs:

Norton and Solari tells me that Pete is getting ready to put some pre-madonna players on notice. Compete or Vacate.

LolaRox

Reaction score
vin.couve12":ybpnq3jo said:
No one will be happier about this than Bobby Wagner. Expect his best year yet.

Bobby and KJ have both spoken highly of Ken so I'm sure they'll be glad to have him back in the building. Bobby and KJ also both have had their best years with someone else as their coach :stirthepot:

jake206

Reaction score
Now draft some more young linebackers and coach em up. I truly believe Norton was the best positional coach Carroll ever had. He made Pro-bowl quality LB...Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright. Norton was so-so as a coordinator, but really he is an ideal LB coach.

chet380

Reaction score
With the greater emphasis of QB's changing calls at the LOS, the X's and O's of moves and counter-moves are of the utmost importance now.

Based on his (poor?) history as a DC, is he up for this very important and complex job?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
chet380":2io0q4hw said:
With the greater emphasis of QB's changing calls at the LOS, the X's and O's of moves and counter-moves are of the utmost importance now.

Based on his (poor?) history as a DC, is he up for this very important and complex job?

PC runs notoriously simple defensive schemes. This is why his DCs tend to look really good. They can work on fundamentals and player development.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Some fans crack me up. When Kris Richards got called for a potential coaching job, there were people here who had the actual nerve to say this was a Rooney Rule thing. As if he's somehow done a terrible job. Meanwhile, we're hiring Schotty, who gets repeated chances but has been a perennial failure. And Ken Norton, who by all accounts left the Raiders defense WORSE off than better. Seems like a good guy

I'm neither excited or depressed about our recent hires. They may turn out great, Pete may turn out to be a genius on this. But no objective person can look at this and say that these are absolutely good hires. I suppose they'll have to prove themselves and I for one, hope they do. I would hate to waste away this young talent

I will say though, I wish Kris Richards the best. Unlike the over the top criticism, I do genuinely feel he did a good job. I give him a B+. He dealt with a lot of adversity and handled it well. I have no idea why we're so convinced Norton or Schotty will be the guy, but I'll be right there cheering anyway

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Scorpion05":13xji8u4 said:
Some fans crack me up. When Kris Richards got called for a potential coaching job, there were people here who had the actual nerve to say this was a Rooney Rule thing. As if he's somehow done a terrible job. Meanwhile, we're hiring Schotty, who gets repeated chances but has been a perennial failure. And Ken Norton, who by all accounts left the Raiders defense WORSE off than better. Seems like a good guy

I'm neither excited or depressed about our recent hires. They may turn out great, Pete may turn out to be a genius on this. But no objective person can look at this and say that these are absolutely good hires. I suppose they'll have to prove themselves and I for one, hope they do. I would hate to waste away this young talent

I will say though, I wish Kris Richards the best. Unlike the over the top criticism, I do genuinely feel he did a good job. I give him a B+. He dealt with a lot of adversity and handled it well. I have no idea why we're so convinced Norton or Schotty will be the guy, but I'll be right there cheering anyway

Is there ever an absolutely good hire in the NFL?

adeltaY

Reaction score
THE TABS":2c3xur7i said:
Injuries aside, we let a lot of mediocre quarterbacks get the best of us in recent years, which NEVER happened under Dan Quinn.

Austin Davis in 2014.

Also, the point about Bucky isn't really fair. If a guy has a bad take, that invalidates his later takes? None of us on this board should have any credibility, we've all been wrong at least once.

Good hire from motivational standpoint. Results outside of our system have been pretty bad. Oakland noticeably improved under Pagano and it was basically an instant improvement. Maybe that was because Davis forced Del Rio to cede some control over the defense in addition to firing Norton. It's difficult to know.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I hope they can find a way to keep Richard on the staff in some capacity. JMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":7dxvwv36 said:

People are rarely open to a demotion after a promotion in the same place, much harder to have the respect of the people your working with when they say your not good enough to cook but we still want you as the bus boy.

crosfam

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3zfhq4ei said:

My guess is, Richard ends up as a DB or other coach (DC?) with the Patriots, who will need to shuffle coaches soon. Or possibly DC with Tennessee or Indy. Maybe an AHC/DB gig in one of these locations. Maybe we could hang on to him as AHC/DB, but I doubt it.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
chris98251":l121lkab said:
hawknation2018":l121lkab said:

People are rarely open to a demotion after a promotion in the same place, much harder to have the respect of the people your working with when they say your not good enough to cook but we still want you as the bus boy.

If he can put ego aside to remain with this team, then he deserves all the credit in the world.

toffee

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1yqurtnq said:
LolaRox":1yqurtnq said:
Sigh... really? This is a trade down. I know many of you like him, but his defenses were not good in Oakland and certainly not better than Seattle's.

I'm disappointed that Kris may be fired for a dude coming from an awful defense.

Oakland has nowhere near the amount of defensive talent that the 'Hawks have.

true about Raider lacking our level of talent on D, but that didn't change the fact that Raider D performed better after he was fired.

I think Norton might be a players' coach, someone players can identify with and be motivated. Norton may not be the best at XO, game planning, or out smarting opposing OCs.

In our case, Pete might want to take over XO, game planning, so Norton may be Pete's perfect sidekick.

pugs1

Reaction score
From Gus to Quinn to Richard One thing is true. This is Pete’s D. Ken is here to motivate and hold players accountable. That’s it! It’s Pete’s D plain and simple!