Keep Bruce Irvin

Rob12

Reaction score
The more I see of him, the more I think he is an integral part of our defense and pass rush.

Extend him. That is all.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Is it possible? Or are we screwed cause of the Cary Williams signing? Sorry im not an expert of this salary cap stuff.

sutz

Reaction score
It may not be the team's choice. I believe he will be an unrestricted FA, and since it appeared he was a bit miffed to not be re-signed last off season, he may want to move on. Hard to tell what a player's emotional state about contracts might really be.

He'll be worth a lot of money if he does go FA, money the team may not be willing to pay.

I'd like to keep him, too, if we can.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
I think $5-6M a season might be able to get it done. Then again, he'll turn 29 next season and he's understandably going to be chasing the money. I think we sometimes tend to undervalue players, in that I thought letting Irvin walk would be just fine. But I haven't seen any other young LB's step in and steal away some of his snaps. He's been in the system for quite a while now, and I think he'd be tough to replace.

I could see Atlanta offering him $7M a season. If that happens, he's gone. I just hope we can find a way to keep him.

Re: dope, I think there's plenty of cap flexibility to bring him back. I don't think Cary has anything guaranteed to him beyond this season. I also think Percy's dead money is off the books. The cap will increase, and there will be some restructuring/expiring of contracts. I don't think this team will ever sniff any type of cap hell with PC/JS in charge.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'd like him to stay for sure if he's affordable. If he doesn't stay then we'll probably have to draft a LB in the early rounds.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think it would be wise to sign Irvin to a long term deal for no other reason than we can't afford it. We already have a whole lot of high paid players on our D, including our other two starting linebackers, and as Wagner put it, we can't keep everybody.

I'd rather use our limited resources to try to resign Russell Okung than pursue Irvin. LT's are much more difficult to come across than OLB's and we need to have some balance rather than loading up on one side of the ball.

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
Really like Irvin but I think he's gone to Atlanta.
Probably on the first day of free agency :cry:
Hope I'm wrong!!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I really think he showed his "tell" during the offseason in his remarks to that reporter about wanting to play for his hometown team the Falcons. Nothing has changed that. I believe he will be a Falcon in 2016.

The only thing that keeps him a Seahawk is if we offer him a boat-load of cash and I don't see that happening.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We will keep Bruce if we can get him in the 3-5M a year range................but all it'll take is one team with a ton of cap space to overpay for his potential. Which there always seems like there are 2-3 teams every off season who are starving for DE rushers that will over pay for a player like Bruce.

I think most of us like Bruce and what he can contribute, but his inconsistent play doesn't warrant a big pay day.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Someone will pay him more then we will. He will leave. That's okay. He's replaceable.

iigakusei

Reaction score
A team will significantly over-value his worth and pay him accordingly. I like him too, but he is gone.

McGruff

Reaction score
Irvin is a replaceable part who will get bank on the open market. He's the kind of guy bad teams overpay to keep, and good teams allow to sign elsewhere.

He's not bad by any means. But he's not worth a large 2nd contract.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'm interested in the offers he will get in the open market. He's a tough player to gauge his financial worth.

If we get out spent it's not going to break my heart. I'd like to see us get a chance to match.

marko358

Reaction score
Basis4day":8yqlrt3h said:
I'm interested in the offers he will get in the open market. He's a tough player to gauge his financial worth.

If we get out spent it's not going to break my heart. I'd like to see us get a chance to match.

With so many mediocre and awful teams this season, you know at least a handful will overpay to bolster their defense.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agree with the majority. He is a good player but not worth surely what some team is going to pay for him after this season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Atlanta drafted a rookie who has similar measurables, but it hasn't worked out, so they may go in for Bruce.

The sleeper to go after Bruce? Buffalo. In a Rex 3-4, Irvin could kill it as an OLB, and when drafted it was Rex's Jets Pete feared getting Bruce over us.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He's gone. It will suck, but he is gonna get straight PAID by Atlanta or someone else. After his very public butthurt from the Hawks not picking up his option, you can sure as hell bet he won't be giving them any sort of discount. Just look forward to the comp pick in 2017.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I see him getting $8-$10 million/year elsewhere as a pass rushing 3-4 outside backer in the mold of Paul Kruger, Connor Barwin, Julius Peppers. He's almost 30 so he'll likely only get one big time contract and the time is now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/627699864554450944[/tweet]

Oh and that contract is DEFINITELY not coming from us. Hope he's superb owl MVP and drives up his market price.

enamel

Reaction score
I think he fits nicely into the comp pick strategy. Resigning him would be a luxury. We're not in a luxury phase of the team-building process the way we were when, for example, we had three starting-caliber DEs in Clemons, Avril and Bennett.

Mojambo

Reaction score
He was gone the second they didn't pick up that option.

Pretty sure they've been grooming Marsh for his spot.