JSN vs Witherspoon. Good or bad?

More excited for JSN or concern for 'Spoon?

• Total voters

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I could have sworn that I read that Spoon did play the slot/nickel in college. Didn't he?
616 snaps wide; 107 snaps in the slot; 11 in the box

His PFF score for snaps in the slot was 84.8 (90.9 wide).

I think he can play the slot, and his tackling and run recognition may be an asset there. Time will tell where his best value is.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Jax is sneaky fast man, it looks like he's moving in slow motion at times. Combine that with his ability to shake and bake dudes, and I think he'll catch a lot of defenders lackin'.
That's exactly what I was thinking. JSN is very slippery, and he has a gift for suddenly going in a direction the defender didn't expect him to go. When I saw this thread title, that's what I thought I was going to see an example of -- instead, I saw JSN with more speed than people seem to give him credit for. Reminds me of Largent that way. Hopefully that comparison will prove apt.

Last edited:

seahawks08

Reaction score
Spoon brings hard hitting into the game. Right now it’s flag football mode, I am not too worried. I just hope Spoon and JSN stay strong and healthy with NFL speed. Transition from College to NFL is the learning curve OTAs focus on. Both of them will start being impactful after our Bye week where coaches learn more and make adjustments suiting their skills . That’s my hope and positive spin for an early Bye😂

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
They gonna have to have Adams wear Cardinals pants to protect his legs, knees, and ankles from JSN.

themunn

Reaction score
JSN is going to be an absolute star I think.

In a 2021 Buckeyes team with Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave who went 11th and 12th overall respectively, he MASSIVELY outperformed them (1606 yards vs 1058 and 936).

Both of those guys had 1000 yard rookie seasons with teams that saw fit to replace their QBs this offseason.

The question is what can the best player from that team do with 2022's most accurate QB?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, with focus on Lockett and Metcalf, JSN quietly outperforms them. I'm really really excited.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I feel the same way but the improvement we need is nowhere near 25 - 30%.

Just a 10% improvement would surprisingly skyrocket us from #20 overall to #3 overall, only behind BUF and KC using last year's stats.

Last year, the median of 3rd Down Conversion % was 39.7%. The Bills led the league with 50.23%, only 10.5% better than the median.

50.23% is 10.53 percentage points better than 39.7%, but it would be (50.23%-39.7%)/39.7% = a 26.5% improvement.

To understand the difference, think about this: if the Seahawks had a cheat code and converted third downs at twice the rate they did last year (twice 38.32%, or 76.64%), they'd have improved by 100% (100% improvement means doubling), but by 38.32 percentage points.

If you take the Seahawks' 38.32% third-down conversion rate from 2022 and improve it by 10% (that is, by 3.832 percentage points), you get to 42.152%, which would have put them in ninth place. Take last year's rate of 38.32% and improve it by 25% and you get 47.9%, which would have been third in the league.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
JSN’s greatest contribution to this offense will be on third down conversion rate.

This video shows he can also go deep, if the opportunity arises.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
50.23% is 10.53 percentage points better than 39.7%, but it would be (50.23%-39.7%)/39.7% = a 26.5% improvement.

To understand the difference, think about this: if the Seahawks had a cheat code and converted third downs at twice the rate they did last year (twice 38.32%, or 76.64%), they'd have improved by 100% (100% improvement means doubling), but by 38.32 percentage points.

If you take the Seahawks' 38.32% third-down conversion rate from 2022 and improve it by 10% (that is, by 3.832 percentage points), you get to 42.152%, which would have put them in ninth place. Take last year's rate of 38.32% and improve it by 25% and you get 47.9%, which would have been third in the league.
I agree. Good points.

Perhaps semantics, but I was responding to hgwellz12 post wherein he stated "Our 3rd down conversion rate jumped a good 25-30% the moment he walked across the stage!", which is not quite the same as "improved by 25 - 30%". A minor point, but worth mentioning.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You do know these camps are made for the offense to look good, correct?

The offense gets all the advantages and the defense isn’t allowed to touch or play certain coverages.

These camps are designed to get the offense up to speed more so than the defense.

Not a knock on JSN as he is real good but Spoon will also be real good.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Good design, good route, with a rub or switch release (whatever term you want to use). If that play is properly executed by the WRs and QB, with proper ball placement, it should be a win for the offense every time.