JSN vs Witherspoon. Good or bad?

More excited for JSN or concern for 'Spoon?

• Total voters

Mick063

Reaction score
Folks are overlooking Michael Jackson. Stud. A rising star.

And just like I suspected, the staff are testing Spoon at nickel/slot (Carroll using the Coby Bryant toe injury as an excuse). Because they have got to find a way to get Jackson on the field.

So, Spoon playing out of position (sort of) covering JSN as a slot corner is going through his learning curve. The guy has only spent his entire college career as a boundary corner. What am I missing here? That the guy can't seamlessly transition to a new, foreign technique to cover a dynamic slot receiver and satisfy a .NET penchant for instant gratification?

Does anyone that understands football get what I am trying to say here? Tell me there are some of you out there.

You know what this thread should really be about? Michael Jackson. If he wasn't getting so damn good, this video clip wouldn't exist. You wouldn't be seeing Spoon play a new position and covering an accomplished slot receiver to begin with.

I have an idea. Let's swap the circumstances. Let's put Spoon at his natural boundary corner and send JSN on a fly pattern from his unnatural "X" receiver position. Let's see if JSN can play out of his natural position and beat Spoon at his natural position. I bet the role reversal would show a different result.

Last edited:

seabowl

Reaction score
And if it was the other way around, and Spoon covered JSN like a glove, you would be questioning if JSN was any good.

Sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous posts and observations I’ve ever seen on this site.

GemCity

Reaction score
It’s just off-season discussion….I doubt Jerhawk is sitting here thinking Spoon will be a bust.

There’s not a lot to talk about right now…I was going to link the video before I saw Jerhawks post.

I’ll take any football posts I can get why we wait for this thang to get started!

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
And if it was the other way around, and Spoon covered JSN like a glove, you would be questioning if JSN was any good.

Sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous posts and observations I’ve ever seen on this site.
Lol i know. I posted it with a little tongue and cheek humor. It's the off-season, things are slow.

I'll chalk you down for voting for the 1st or 3rd option.

JPatera76

Reaction score
It's funny when it's the other team it's OMG Trey Lance thru a pick six, but spoon gets beat its just well it's just one play and just like the other thread...it's just camp
realistically though, id say the comparison is.. Trey Lance threw a pick six and failed.. his offense. This Shows Geno throwing a successful ball to his WR beating a very good CB with a smart offensive play. Just my two cents.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don’t look at it so much as a knock on Spoon.

JSN is going to be that guy.

Told my wife that if I were to get a Fathers Day gift, it should be a JSN jersey….it’s on the way!!
Some pundits have mentioned, that even that he was a 1st round pick.. he was the steal of the draft.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Folks are overlooking Michael Jackson. Stud. A rising star.

And just like I suspected, the staff are testing Spoon at nickel/slot (Carroll using the Coby Bryant toe injury as an excuse). Because they have got to find a way to get Jackson on the field.

So, Spoon playing out of position (sort of) covering JSN as a slot corner is going through his learning curve. The guy has only spent his entire college career as a boundary corner. What am I missing here? That the guy can't seamlessly transition to a new, foreign technique to cover a dynamic slot receiver and satisfy a .NET penchant for instant gratification?

Does anyone that understands football get what I am trying to say here? Tell me there are some of you out there.

You know what this thread should really be about? Michael Jackson. If he wasn't getting so damn good, this video clip wouldn't have happened. You wouldn't be seeing Spoon play a new position.
TBH id prefer they move Jackson and let Spoon play to his strength. Otherwise Imo Pete and CO neutered Spoon and aren't putting him in a position to succeed thus Imo wasting a HIGH valuable pick.

If you want to experiment with a guy in a new position they're not used to and never played in college, Also the other teams that used Jackson i.e Dallas, Detroit and the Patriots had him practicing at Nickel and competing.

Idk, I don't hate Pete, but I feel he gets ahead of himself sometimes and DOESN'T always put guys in the best position to Succeed especially in this case. Don't force a square peg into a round hole kinda deal. I'd hate to see him struggle in the reg season because Petes tried to convert the kid to Nickel, it failed, and he's had jack for times in his natural position that he should be practicing and competing at.

And pete's being to loyal to Jackson. Imo he was a weakspot on the back end of the Defence. Far too often did it seem like he would just run and flail his arms up hoping to win.

Mick063

Reaction score
TBH id prefer they move Jackson and let Spoon play to his strength. Otherwise Imo Pete and CO neutered Spoon and aren't putting him in a position to succeed thus Imo wasting a HIGH valuable pick.

If you want to experiment with a guy in a new position they're not used to and never played in college, Also the other teams that used Jackson i.e Dallas, Detroit and the Patriots had him practicing at Nickel and competing.

Idk, I don't hate Pete, but I feel he gets ahead of himself sometimes and DOESN'T always put guys in the best position to Succeed especially in this case. Don't force a square peg into a round hole kinda deal. I'd hate to see him struggle in the reg season because Petes tried to convert the kid to Nickel, it failed, and he's had jack for times in his natural position that he should be practicing and competing at.

And pete's being to loyal to Jackson. Imo he was a weakspot on the back end of the Defence. Far too often did it seem like he would just run and flail his arms up hoping to win.
I would prefer that they do EXACTLY what Pete is doing. How many games have you coached again? Spoon can easily make the transition. He just can't do it, overnight, against JSN.

What Pete is doing was very, very predictable. So predictable that a novice like me could predict it. I could recognize that Jackson has started his "break out" season. I could recognize that the only way to get Jackson on the field was to move Spoon to slot. Not rocket science. Predictable. And good coaching/personnel management.

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score
I would prefer that they do EXACTLY what Pete is doing. How many games have you coached again? Spoon can easily make the transition. He just can't do it, overnight, against JSN.

So, for us fans to have an opinion we need to have coached games? lol Gtfo with that bs. And secondly, he's obviously not making the transition EASILY.

Your "rising star" star Jackson that's flamed out on 3 other teams, HAS experience at nickel.

Mick063

Reaction score
So, for us fans to have an opinion we need to have coached games? lol Gtfo with that bs. And secondly, he's obviously not making the transition EASILY.

Your "rising star" star Jackson that's flamed out on 3 other teams, HAS experience at nickel.
Your response is very revealing. Proceed.

GemCity

Reaction score
Not to derail…but Geno looks GOOD. His off season program has him in great shape. Geno used to have that “baby fat” look but, he’s looking chiseled now.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Not to derail…but Geno looks GOOD. His off season program has him in great shape. Geno used to have that “baby fat” look but, he’s looking chiseled now.
Agreed! I loved the accuracy on this throw. He's doing everything right so far and can't wait to see how he performs this season.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
realistically though, id say the comparison is.. Trey Lance threw a pick six and failed.. his offense. This Shows Geno throwing a successful ball to his WR beating a very good CB with a smart offensive play. Just my two cents.

That’s a valid point with Geno.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Nah, JSN had top 10 talent, and if he would have doubled down on his 2021 season, he easily could have been a top 5 pick, so if he can make Witherspoon look ordinary that just confirms that. But once those pads come on that’s where Witherspoon can flip the switch and play his game and that match up isn’t going to be that easy.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
That Jaxon fella is gonna be a BLAST to watch! Our 3rd down conversion rate jumped a good 25-30% the moment he walked across the stage!
I feel the same way but the improvement we need is nowhere near 25 - 30%.

Just a 10% improvement would surprisingly skyrocket us from #20 overall to #3 overall, only behind BUF and KC using last year's stats.

Last year, the median of 3rd Down Conversion % was 39.7%. The Bills led the league with 50.23%, only 10.5% better than the median.

sutz

Reaction score

I could have sworn that I read that Spoon did play the slot/nickel in college. Didn't he?

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I could have sworn that I read that Spoon did play the slot/nickel in college. Didn't he?
Right, I believe he played a little of both.

"Illinois cornerback Devon Witherspoon is an aggressive, physical cornerback with man coverage skills and ball production, making him a mighty fine NFL draft prospect who can serve in a high-impact role. Witherspoon is very combative at the catch point and is eager to transition into a tackler’s role, offering an NFL team a viable inside or outside option at the next level. "

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Jax is sneaky fast man, it looks like he's moving in slow motion at times. Combine that with his ability to shake and bake dudes, and I think he'll catch a lot of defenders lackin'.

Chunk plays and momentum swings.
*Sidenote, Shane sells the stunner so heroically, haha.