Jonah Tavai

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
So three guys have gotten noticed in rookie minicamp at Nose are Cameron Young, Robert Cooper, and Jonah Tavai.

Young played in the SEC and there's a separate thread on him, so I'll skip him.
Cooper played at FSU and looks more like the big, fat guy NT that some people on here are obsessed with.

Tavai played at SDSU and is listed at 5'10", 283#. Corbin Smith didn't really know what to make of him until he saw how fast his hands were. I don't know what to make of him either after watching some of his highlights. Maybe because he's short short he just gets under blocks and forklifts people? Idk, but I kinda want to rewatch this with the sound off and the Benny Hill theme playing.

Starting at 1:40, he first sacks the QB and Tackle -- together. Ok. And then the next play he matadors the Guard, DESTROYS the upback, and sacks the QB for a safety. The third play he dances out of the grasp of the center, does a 360 around the guard, then runs the arc for the sack. I don't understand. They are playing Div I schools, right? It's like watching Barry Sanders weaving in and out of traffic and nobody seems to be able to lay a hand on him.

Anyway, I don't know if his game translates to the NFL. But he definitely fits Pete's "unique qualities" criteria. Enjoy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He looks like a better version of Aaron Donald. How this guy went undrafted is beyond my comprehension.

Short, stout and quick. This guy is going to be a total game changer on the D line and help propel this defense into the upper echelon of legit dominance. What a time to be a 12!

bileever

Reaction score
I'd never heard of Jonah Tavai until yesterday, but he is one strong dude. He did 29 reps on the bench press (# of lifts with 225 pounds), compared to 22 for Bresee and Dexter.

I love the highlight reel, but can he really play NT in the NFL at 5' 10" and 285 lbs?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
He looks like a better version of Aaron Donald. How this guy went undrafted is beyond my comprehension.

Short, stout and quick. This guy is going to be a total game changer on the D line and help propel this defense into the upper echelon of legit dominance. What a time to be a 12!
I'd never heard of Jonah Tavai until yesterday, but he is one strong dude. He did 29 reps on the bench press (# of lifts with 225 pounds), compared to 22 for Bresee and Dexter.

I love the highlight reel, but can he really play NT in the NFL at 5' 10" and 285 lbs?

Just an interesting tidbit, both Tavai and Donald are the same weight around draft day. Tavai is just a few inches shorter, but man can he move and man is he strong. Give him a year or two in the weight room and conditioning, this guy might be a huge diamond in the rough for us.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Just an interesting tidbit, both Tavai and Donald are the same weight around draft day. Tavai is just a few inches shorter, but man can he move and man is he strong. Give him a year or two in the weight room and conditioning, this guy might be a huge diamond in the rough for us.
Aaron Donald doesn't play NT. If he's being slotted for NT then the Donald comparison is moot.

bileever

Reaction score
Poor men's Kancey?
Yes, in terms of size, but Tavai was not a combine/pro day warrior. Except for the bench press, he didn't test that well on the other drills.

Boohman14

Reaction score

He shorter than John Randel by 3" but has a similar style. I tend to think the NFL linemen would be able to cope with him. I'm thinking camp body but I hope I'm wrong.

Mick063

Reaction score
There are advantages and disadvantages to his body type. He can obviously get low ang get leverage quicker than most. But once the running back is in his vicinity, does he have the reach to get his mitts on him? I think he would be utilized best at "blowing up" blocking schemes so that others can make the tackle.

Similarly, to how length is a big factor in basketball for denying passing lanes or to generally occupy more defensive space, long armed guys can have a similar advantage along the defensive front.

So really, it all boils down to how he is used, how often will you use alignments that can take advantage of him. If a guy is really, really good, you will change your alignments/game plan to accommodate him. If he is just another guy, then he better be very diverse, capable of serving more than one role, or otherwise fit perfectly within the scheme that you have envisioned. In other words, he better fit into your current defensive philosophy or otherwise be able to effectively contribute in multiple ways including special teams, goal line blocking fullback, etc.

Having explained all of that, I think this guy has a very narrow skill set, but it may be a skill set that aligns with their defensive philosophy. He has a chance.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Thinking if he is that strong and quick he can shoot gaps and getting in the backfield as a disrupter or up the gut pressure, if he gets a hold of you with his strength your not getting away. Being stout and shorter against lengthy guys he will get explosion out of his stance faster as well. could be a problem for the 6'5 plus guys to handle, their muscles just don't have the same quick twitch factor.

Again depends on how he is used and if they take advantage of his natural attributes or if they try to make him a anchor point which he won't hold up well against since the taller guys once into him will be able to use their higher leverage point to push him back.

Scout

Reaction score
I agree with others he will be used in situations where he can play 3tech as part of rotation. His lack of length might make it difficult for him to play outside like 5tech in the NFL level but you never know until you put the pads come on. Tavai seems to be quick but also has the ability to get skinny when he hits his gap which means OL even with a longer reach have less of a surface area to block him with. That is how he is splitting double teams in the clips that exist on YT and that is how Kancey went so high in the draft.

samwize77

Reaction score
I'd have to think, from what little I've seen of him, that he'll be used mostly on passing downs, when Hurtt wants speed on the line. If you can get the QB to move off his spot from the inside, you make him vulnerable to the edge rushers. He definitely has "football" quickness.