Why '23 will be better than '22: Front 7

hawkfan68

Reaction score
4-3 does look better? But still need DTs?
DEMike MorrisJonah TavaiTyreka SmithPatrickj O'Connell
DTJarran ReedJordan Ferguson
DTCameroon YoungMone *injured
DEDre'Mont JonesMyles AdamsM.J. Anderson, Ifeanyi Maijeh
OLBBoye MafeDerick HallJoshua OnujioguVi Jones
MLBBobby WagnerDevin SmithNick BelloreMichael Ayers
OLBUchenna NwosuDarrell Taylor Jon RhattiganJordyn Brooks (injured)
Isn't Tavai a DT/NT?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ummm, unless he is something of a wonder kind, otherwise, he is smaller than Poona Ford.
Jarran Reed’s listed weight is 306 which is smaller than Ford’s listed weight of 310. Maybe Tavai has strength that doesn’t show up in weight. Tavai also has low center gravity and he’s built like a rock. Sounds like he has been impressive during OTAs. Let’s see how he fares.

Fade

Reaction score
I wonder how anyone can have faith in Clint Hurtt?

They will bring in a vet NT I would think before the end of pre-season to shore up the depth.

They had quality veteran runstuffers last year too, and they still sucked at stopping the run. Guys weren't getting blown off the ball, anyway. They were constantly out of position, and were horrible at tackling, which points to coaching. Which I am skeptical of improving, with Hurtt showing no signs of competency at any point last year.

Pete made the suggestion to go to the Bear front, where they had some success for a few weeks, but once that got figure out it was back to cellar they went.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

They will bring in a vet NT I would think before the end of pre-season to shore up the depth.

They had quality veteran runstuffers last year too, and they still sucked at stopping the run. Guys weren't getting blown off the ball, anyway. They were constantly out of position, and were horrible at tackling, which points to coaching. Which I am skeptical of improving, with Hurtt showing no signs of competency at any point last year.

Pete made the suggestion to go to the Bear front, where they had some success for a few weeks, but once that got figure out it was back to cellar they went.
Can you explain the bear front?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The team is, on paper, incredibly soft in the middle. No disrespect to Young, but expecting a 4th round rookie to anchor that position seems incredibly bold, and potentially short sighted by the front office.

Inside linebacker also looks very weak on paper. Love Bobby, but let's be honest. He's lost a couple steps, and Bush isn't much better than Barton.

OLB looks strong, and the ends look great. But the middle is a huge concern right now for me.

The combo of Jones, Reed, and Wagner is anything but "soft." Add in a couple big bodied rookies and this front is light years better already than last years middle.

I know that bar is low, but I take exception to you word "soft." Wagner is exactly the MLB this front needs to make the correct line calls and stuff runs at the point of attack, and not 4-5 yards downfield like Barton and Brooks were doing.

Will these guys work? Idk, but it's an improvement, a big one IMO.

keasley45

Reaction score

I think if you look at it objectively, it's hard to say the problem always entirely Hurtts. There were too many cooks in the kitchen last year. Too many Chiefs contributing to the scheme. And not enough experience in key spots to problem solve issues on the field (Brooks). You can argue that maybe that's still a black mark on Hurtt because he should have taken more control. But confusion and miscommunication between players game in and game out was obviously an issue.

Add more experience, at positions across the defense, another year in the system, and a more consistent voice leading things and its reasonable to assume the D, and Hurtt will be better.

And if he's not, hopefully Pete pulls the plug quickly and gets someone worthy in to run things.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The game isn't played on paper.
You're right. Why even bother with roster construction?

Our wide receiver group looks strong on paper. See, I doubt you'll have any arguments to that since it was a compliment. But as soon as I say something slightly negative and/or critical...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Uchenna Nwosu might be the most underrated player in the league at his position and one of the most underrated free agent signings we’ve had in a long time. He’s absolutely an elite talent on the edge
Not sure why you chose to quote me but Nwosu and Tavai are slated to play different roles on defense. So don't see how the two are related. Because Nwosu was there last year (played stellar too) and their weak spot was DT/NT. Especially so since Woods and Mone were hurt during the season.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Not sure why you chose to quote me but Nwosu and Tavai are slated to play different roles on defense. So don't see how the two are related. Because Nwosu was there last year (played stellar too) and their weak spot was DT/NT. Especially so since Woods and Mone were hurt during the season.
No I was looking at the D line as a whole and with either set we run defensively Uchenna will be a major player

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I suspect the collapse of '22 run defense was more than just the players, what do you guys think?

evergreen

Reaction score
Some of it was atrocious tackling too. Way too many yards after contact. Just the Raiders game and the SF games ruined our stats with YAC...

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I blame Hurtt for not being more creative with the front, but he didn't have much to work with either.

It was an all around failure imo
We started bad, but had a bit of good run for a few games, then turned around down the abyss. Did we do anything different for those four or five games? or just that we got lucky?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Our down-up-down-up-and down defense of 2022, per PFF:

We had 3 really bad games, all below 50: #3 Falcons, #15 9ers, WC 9ers.
We had bunch of games in the 50s,
We had 7 games above 60.

I think the worst game was the total collapse of that wild card game with 9ers, and mainly the second half.

Seahawks defense 2022

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Not a big fan of Hurtt but at the same time that front seven seriously lacked front seven impact players. Nwosu is a given but the rest are just there either as solid role niche players or just ordinary players that can not make a play on the ball.

Having Wagner, and Reed come back along with adding Jones changes the complexion of the defense in a hurry. I don't expect Taylor to be better against the run but the staff isn't too hung up on that with him given his niche is rushing the passer in passing situations.

Last years run defense could have been okay if Adams wasn't hurt but that really magnified the weakness of the front seven without a blue chip run defender like Adams not being in the mix.

What I am saying is that gap discipline tends to matter more for inside DL and inside LBs. Wagner and Bush show they can be competent flowing downhill and filling a gap. Brooks is capable but he seems to be swimming in his head out there at times. Barton wasn't built to be that type of ILB though so I strongly felt he should have been relegated to a nickel or dime LB only.