John Moffitt gives up on football (Confirmed)

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Steve KISW ‏@stp999 20m
Our bud @Moffitt74 will join us on Friday at 7:45 am @999KISW @BJShea to chat about life, bacon, and more.

Sounds like he'll be on Bj's show this Friday, I'm sure he'll explain more.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Despite the old .net crowd's determination to shame him for this, I still got a laugh out of Moffitt's "head hurts" tweet.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
razgriz737":1o9mq0jy said:
HawkFan72":1o9mq0jy said:
I never understood why players do this. Pouting at home because he is not getting enough playing time? How about you show up to work, make your ridiculous amount of money, and be ready to play if you are needed?

Plenty of guys at home on the couch would love to work for an NFL team, even if it meant they were inactive on Sundays.
According to DavidSeven's new info, sounds like it could be something more than just playing time.

Yeah I was going off the original article I read that just mentioned he was unhappy about playing time. It does sound like he just doesn't want to play period. It doesn't have much to do with the fact that he wants to be on the field.

TwilightError

Reaction score
If someone doesnt take himself too seriously and be a cliche robot like 99% of athletes, it does not mean they are unmotivated or unfocused. Moffitt struggled a lot with injuries. I wish him all the best for whatever he decides to do next.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
TwilightError":31vnz9c9 said:
If someone doesnt take himself too seriously and be a cliche robot like 99% of athletes, it does not mean they are unmotivated or unfocused. Moffitt struggled a lot with injuries. I wish him all the best for whatever he decides to do next.

Then again, that is exactly what it could mean.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I was with Moffitt last week through a mutual friend. His decision was made by then that he was ready to move on. He was far more interested in talking about what he wanted to do next then about why he was leaving football. It's not an easy sport. Sometimes people are just done.

Didn't think it was my place to share a personal announcement from someone I hardly knew.

themunn

Reaction score
hawk45":emrppl4o said:
mikeak":emrppl4o said:
hawk45":emrppl4o said:
The only kind of people who spout that follow your dreams BS are employed people or people who don't see how thin the line is between being employed and being unemployed i.e. people who don't appreciate employment terribly much. Moffit, in other words.

I disagree. There is also a large group of people that have a comfortable living and know that regardless they can continue to live comfortably. Maybe his parents have money, maybe he inherited some whatever it is maybe he is in a position where he knows he will be fine for the rest of his life. Not a millionaire but absolutely fine. Many are happy with that without seeking the most money out of everything.

I have never ever worried about having a job. I put in the time and effort everywhere I have been and can find another job when I need to. If I get to bored at what I am doing or feel that it isn't worth it I am in a position to move on to the next thing. Won't ever live in a 20 000 square feet house on the beach but happy with what I have in life

Yeah, to you and UK, I ended up removing the part of my post that you quoted because it was pretty high-handed.

I think there are smarter ways to go about pursuing his dreams that also preserve his future, and I think that it is such a great example of "first world problems" when a guy turns his nose up at security like that. But different strokes for different folks.

I sure as heck wouldn't want a guy with that viewpoint dating a daughter or in a position to provide for anyone I cared about though. Yeah okay if he's miserable and it's driving him to drink and be foul that's one thing. But that's not how this move strikes me, and honestly, NFL football player is flat out not the kind of job that can make you that miserable, esp a backup who doesn't even get beaten up much.

Yeah, it's really a great culture and an easy job with no risk of injury or turning up in front of a team facility and shooting yourself in front of a coach because of the mentality. Also Jonathan Martin is a pussy.

Moffit has made around 1.5m + game checks in the last 2.5 years. I think he'll be just fine financially

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't understand the vitriol here.

I never once got the sense he felt entitled. In fact, I always felt that his talents lie outside football.

I hope he does well in his future endeavors in media/comedy. He is better suited to those pursuits. I'm sure I'll be entertained more in that capacity than I could have been by his football play.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3v0s6twl said:
Interview:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23890717/j ... z2jsxEGkAf

Love Moffitt. I think he may eventually regret this decision though. Glad to see he is reading Chomsky.

Yea I was coming here to post this same article, he explains everything very well, I see where he's coming from.

I'm jealous in a way, he's unhappy in his current career, and he has the ability to just walk away. He's very fortunate to have the ability to do that.

Good luck on the next chapter of your life Moffitt.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3q1f3yx3 said:
Hhhhmmm, maybe he just doesn't like playing football?

Good for him, hopefully he pursues something that makes him happy and content. He's a funny, likable guy, good in front of the camera, there's something out there for him.

I agree 100%. The man has obviously lost his love for the game. Simple. I wish him good luck and thanks for the memories.

Atradees

Reaction score
Surreal. That's all I can say. I love football; could not imagine walking away when given the tools to be a rockstar like that.

Edit to read that if I had a pile of money what would be the motivation to go to a job I disliked?

uncle fester

Reaction score
Yep, agreed. Reading that interview, I can't really fault him for his decision.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Put me in the negative camp. He is talking like he was doing something terrible. He was playing NFL football, and the streets are littered with people who would have given anything to be in his position but didn't make it or didn't have the raw physical talent.

I respect his decision but I think the problem is just a lack of motivation to work as hard as he needs to. He probably realized in a few years he would be forced out and wanted to do it on his terms.

Given the amount of people who work their asses off to do what he did but fail, yes I do feel like its a little selfish in a way, but obviously the guy is free do to whatever he pleases.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Good luck to him. NFL isn't for everyone. The fact that he was able to have the success he's had with football without having that mentality speaks volumes about how talented/smart he must be.

Dismas

Reaction score
More power to him!

I have a job that pays well, is work that I find interesting and rewarding, but is in an environment that has me gritting my teeth and biting my tongue on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, it is in the USPS, and the machinery I work on is pretty specific to this single environment, meaning if I wnat to keep my pay, I have to stay where I am.

I have the utmost admiration for someone who can toss the comfortable living they have because they are not happy with the lifestyle.

Kudos to you Moffitt! I hope you find fulfillment in your next venture

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
CaptainSkybeard":2qg5x4ns said:
Put me in the negative camp. He is talking like he was doing something terrible. He was playing NFL football, and the streets are littered with people who would have given anything to be in his position but didn't make it or didn't have the raw physical talent.

But he's not one of those people who would give anything to do it. If he doesn't like the grind at it, so what? That's not a flaw within him. He's just not made for the job. Better that he spends his life, of which we only get one so far as any of us can scientifically observe, doing something that he does want to actually pursue.

Life is too short for spending hours hating your job.

Latest posts