John Moffitt gives up on football (Confirmed)

Joey13091

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3clcfnjy said:
I never understood why players do this. Pouting at home because he is not getting enough playing time? How about you show up to work, make your ridiculous amount of money, and be ready to play if you are needed?

Plenty of guys at home on the couch would love to work for an NFL team, even if it meant they were inactive on Sundays.

I would love to make that much money. I wouldn't give a crap if I was playing or not lol

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Moffitt has confirmed he's giving up on football:

John Moffitt ‏@Moffitt74 25m
Football was fun but my head hurts-haha kidding roger goodell. I'm on to new things, thanks to everyone along the way!!!

Seeker

Reaction score
Can't believe I made a mcquistan vs moffit comparison recently.

hawk45

Reaction score
Joey13091":1azti5sn said:
HawkFan72":1azti5sn said:
I never understood why players do this. Pouting at home because he is not getting enough playing time? How about you show up to work, make your ridiculous amount of money, and be ready to play if you are needed?

Plenty of guys at home on the couch would love to work for an NFL team, even if it meant they were inactive on Sundays.

I would love to make that much money. I wouldn't give a crap if I was playing or not lol

Seriously, I understand there is a "follow your dreams" mentality, but if he leaves football and spends the rest of his life realizing nobody is going to pay him that kind of money to do anything else, he's going to wish he stayed a backup and pursued his dreams in the offseason.

At the very least, if football isn't what he wants to do in his heart of hearts, for crying out loud play until you're 35 and nobody wants you, then go fail at something else after having banked enough cash to live comfortably the rest of his life (provided he piles it up and doesn't have caviar tastes). IMO any other move is pretty idiotic, not that it makes him evil.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I wonder if his ego simply couldn't handle the fact that he couldn't cut it?

*shrug*

Guess we'll never know. For whatever reason(s), he wasn't motivated enough.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I wish the guy well. Enjoyed his personality on both video and radio. I wouldn't be surprised by the reality TV thing, writing a book entitled "101 ways to eat meat in a tube" or becoming a WWE villain.

Happy trails, Moffitt!

hawk45

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised either if he tries his hand at reality TV or something similar.

I would be very surprised if he succeeded at it. He had some decent personality for an NFL lineman. He's going to find out the hard way that there's not enough novelty factor there to warrant a six figure salary, and very likely not enough to warrant any salary at all.

I don't wish him ill but egads is this a boneheaded move. Make your money as a backup the next 5-10 years before the NFL spits you out, then go try to be cute outside of football.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawk45":midwkp2w said:
Joey13091":midwkp2w said:
HawkFan72":midwkp2w said:

Seriously, I understand there is a "follow your dreams" mentality, but if he leaves football and spends the rest of his life realizing nobody is going to pay him that kind of money to do anything else, he's going to wish he stayed a backup and pursued his dreams in the offseason.

At the very least, if football isn't what he wants to do in his heart of hearts, for crying out loud play until you're 35 and nobody wants you, then go fail at something else after having banked enough cash to live comfortably the rest of his life (provided he piles it up and doesn't have caviar tastes). IMO any other move is pretty idiotic, not that it makes him evil.

There's more to life than money, what you suggest could equate to 10 years of unhappiness to get financially secure. Would you go to jail for 10 years if someone was going to give you $5 million dollars at the end of it?

hawk45

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":38grfu8g said:
hawk45":38grfu8g said:
Joey13091":38grfu8g said:
HawkFan72":38grfu8g said:

There's more to life than money, what you suggest could equate to 10 years of unhappiness to get financially secure. Would you go to jail for 10 years if someone was going to give you $5 million dollars at the end of it?

Because your scenario is clearly equivalent to playing NFL football for 10 years.

I wouldn't go to jail for 10 years, but I would sure as heck work for a job for 10 years to set myself and my family up financially. Besides, he liked football enough to play it his entire life and through college so it wasn't torture for him. It's just not as much fun now that he finds out he's below average in the NFL.

Edit: removed some additional judgmental stuff, as I was already being judgmental enough.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If his heart is not in the game I give him big props for being able to walk away from the money and the lifestyle.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawk45":33g4fw8u said:
The only kind of people who spout that follow your dreams BS are employed people or people who don't see how thin the line is between being employed and being unemployed i.e. people who don't appreciate employment terribly much. Moffit, in other words.

I disagree. There is also a large group of people that have a comfortable living and know that regardless they can continue to live comfortably. Maybe his parents have money, maybe he inherited some whatever it is maybe he is in a position where he knows he will be fine for the rest of his life. Not a millionaire but absolutely fine. Many are happy with that without seeking the most money out of everything.

I have never ever worried about having a job. I put in the time and effort everywhere I have been and can find another job when I need to. If I get to bored at what I am doing or feel that it isn't worth it I am in a position to move on to the next thing. Won't ever live in a 20 000 square feet house on the beach but happy with what I have in life

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
People have different motivations. The easy option would be to keep suckling at the NFL teat but if the milk tastes sour then what's the point?

I say fair play to him for not settling in life and following his heart.

Chapow

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1bxawjvl said:
hawk45":1bxawjvl said:
Joey13091":1bxawjvl said:
HawkFan72":1bxawjvl said:

Cause playing football in the NFL is just like being in jail for 10 years. :roll:

I do think that more people than not would work a job that they didn't like that much but was far from horrible for a 5 million dollar payday after 10 years. Especially if they got to live a very comfortable lifestyle along the way like NFL players do.

hawk45

Reaction score
mikeak":cyuzxct6 said:
hawk45":cyuzxct6 said:
The only kind of people who spout that follow your dreams BS are employed people or people who don't see how thin the line is between being employed and being unemployed i.e. people who don't appreciate employment terribly much. Moffit, in other words.

I disagree. There is also a large group of people that have a comfortable living and know that regardless they can continue to live comfortably. Maybe his parents have money, maybe he inherited some whatever it is maybe he is in a position where he knows he will be fine for the rest of his life. Not a millionaire but absolutely fine. Many are happy with that without seeking the most money out of everything.

I have never ever worried about having a job. I put in the time and effort everywhere I have been and can find another job when I need to. If I get to bored at what I am doing or feel that it isn't worth it I am in a position to move on to the next thing. Won't ever live in a 20 000 square feet house on the beach but happy with what I have in life

Yeah, to you and UK, I ended up removing the part of my post that you quoted because it was pretty high-handed.

I think there are smarter ways to go about pursuing his dreams that also preserve his future, and I think that it is such a great example of "first world problems" when a guy turns his nose up at security like that. But different strokes for different folks.

I sure as heck wouldn't want a guy with that viewpoint dating a daughter or in a position to provide for anyone I cared about though. Yeah okay if he's miserable and it's driving him to drink and be foul that's one thing. But that's not how this move strikes me, and honestly, NFL football player is flat out not the kind of job that can make you that miserable, esp a backup who doesn't even get beaten up much.

253hawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":13iryi0u said:
Sounds like football just isn't what he had hoped for.

Some guys just don't transition well from the college level to the pros, regardless of their talent. I know I've made plenty of decisions I thought were sure things, only to find myself underwhelmed by the reality later on.

Joey13091

Reaction score
I wouldn't got to jail for 10 years. But 2-5 depending on the cash. Maybe.

mikeak

Reaction score
Not at the same level but does remind me of Eric Crouch

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 461f5.html

Some interesting things in that article. He doesn't ever say he regrets walking away but considering how he kept chasing the dream for years in smaller leagues tells me all I need to know

The issue for Moffitt may very well become when he realizes what he did 6 months from now and nobody will give him a shot