John Clayton = official GOOFBALL mode

Tokadub

Reaction score
Go to 15:15 minutes in this audio:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

Clayton says Russell Wilson is ranked 12-14 in NFL quarterbacks???

Drunken Paraphrase:

Clayton says, "Ya! That's where I would have him right now yeah. Somewhere in that neighborhood... you have so many established guys throwing those 4000 yards. In many ways he's emerging as the elite quarterback but until he get's the opportunity to get more throws you kinda hold back a little bit for putting him in that elite group... He'll get there at some point. At some point (the Seahawks) will change. Let's say Marshawn Lynch isn't on the team and they pass the ball more and rely on the Quarterback... Steelers in the 70's(bunch of BS) and when that happens you'll see Russell become an elite quarterback. I have no doubt he'll be an elite quarterback... not yet no. You know... you know... I gave it to JAY CUTLER... well he's there... DERP... numbers weren't justified I pulled it back. It's not gonna effect what he's gonna be payed... But what you don't see right now the numbers aren't there to put him there... Pete is more on a NEGATIVE SLANT... No argument in the top 6... Flacco, Romo, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Eli Manning is 7-13, Phillip Rivers, you start to add it up... he's a bonified hall of famer... to say Russell Wilson is Elite WHICH HE'S GOING TO BE... PHILLIP RIVERS vs RUSSELL WILSON (EVERYONE LOLs)... He's done it for so long... WHAT ABOUT ELI MANNING VS RUSSEL WILSON? It's not a matter of trading it's a matter of ranking (Clayton is official goofball mode now)... At some point Payton Manning won't be in the League, Brady, Brees... That's why he's 13-14 that's why he's ONE OF THE NEXT GUYS... (???) Slowly and surely he starts moving up over Matt Shcaub and Michael Vick..."

pmedic920

Reaction score
This post is a goofball.
It wants us to listen to over 15 mins of John Clayton, just to hear him say something stupid about our guy.
Edit:
My sincere apologies for repeating the "R" word. I meant no offense to anybody, other than the OP.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Wow that's like really an accurate paraphrase of what Clayton says? Wowwwwww, he's either the biggest dummy in the world or ESPN is paying him some fat dollars to stir the pot and piss people off and make Seahawks haters happy...

Let's not forget how Clayton was saying it would be a horrible decision for Harvin to do Kick Off returns in the playoffs... I'm not even joking he's on record saying this nonsense.

I don't even hate Clayton, he's a likable guy and fun to listen to on radio... but I think he's payed off by ESPN to say stupid shiz...

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I heard this bit on the radio. Whoever the cohost was reminded me of Alan combs.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
I just want to know what is Clayton's list of 12-13 guys ahead of Russell Wilson??? This has got to be some kind of a joke. Here's the top guys I have if you want to go from a "historic" standpoint to rank the current QB's (followed in red text by current reality).

1) Tom Brady (Many Superbowl wins, great touchdown/interception ratio, He's OLD on the decline for sure).
2) Peyton Manning (puts up great regular season stats, Dinosaur).
3) Aaron Rodgers (All time best Touchdown/Interception ratio, carries his team, could be currently viewed as the #1 due to his age, Not incredibly mobile, may also be starting to decline at age 30).
4) Drew Brees (Solid leader, great accuracy, proven winner, can carry a team, Not incredibly mobile, definitely on the decline at age 35).

Those are the 4 guys I think you can legit say they're ranked higher than Wilson (VERY arguable for next season), their careers speak for themselves... But all these guys have one thing in common... the youngest one of them is 30 years old.

So that instantly gives Russell a huge edge on them for potential when you are picking your "dream QB" in the present day and age.

I think Russell is a top 5 QB RIGHT NOW... I think Clayton is all mixed up. When you rank the current active QB's you are NOT ONLY talking about their career passing yard totals as the only measurement... You are talking about who would you pick for your team to win the Superbowl NEXT SEASON...

I'm not sure why Clayton is ranking the current QB's in relation to the all time records and retired players. This is a worthless analysis the way he presents it, he should be talking about who's the best RIGHT NOW... NOT who has the most yards right now...

Clayton has gone full on retard mode and I'd like to see his list of 12-13 current active QB's he has ahead of Wilson...

Personally I rank Wilson in the top 5 ALREADY, you can call me a fanboy but whatever, he will continue to prove it, his first 2 seasons have been legendary and he's done it on a team with terrible pass protection and piss poor play calling that forces him to go all Superman status every few plays or we would be forced to punt.

That is all I have to say about this... John Clayton has gone FULL RETARD MODE and I would love to see his list and justifications for 12-14 current guys ahead of Wilson... it would be so funny :D

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
We won the Super Bowl. Who cares. People here need to stop being so insecure.

McGruff

Reaction score
In addition to he ones mentioned above here are the other names clayton mentioned above wilson (in no order cause none was given):

Roethlesberger
Flacco
Ryan
Rome
Eli
Stafford
Luck
Rivers

So that is 12 right there.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Those guys have been doing it for 2+ years... Give it some time.

People want to be negative about all young QBs if they're not immediately the best.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It's April 1; of course it's foolish! :)

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1w5armrc said:
Question to those who get upset over Wilson's ranking in the pundits' eyes, or whether he's considered elite...

Do you think Ben Roethlisberger is elite? Honest question.
No, but he's close. He's top 10 for sure, mostly because he actually has a pair unlike those behind him (e.g. Ryan, Cutler, Romo, Stafford), and the 1.25 rings (he nearly lost the first one for them). I'd also take him in a big game over some of the top guys (for sure Manning, probably Rodgers, and maybe Brees). It's all irrelevant in comparison to Wilson anyway, as RW is already better. Give Wilson a line, some real receiving threats, and 5-10 more throws and he puts up Rodgers-esque numbers. As he develops you're looking at a guy who should consistently have a 70% completion percentage, 30-35 tds, >10 int (which really, how many of his 18 have been "what were you doing throws?". I can think of maybe 2-3 which is insane), and between 110-120 qtbck rating. Also, the stats are not all of the story. Brady had one of his best ever seasons last year despite a drop statistically.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Tokadub":lwj616dk said:
Wow that's like really an accurate paraphrase of what Clayton says? Wowwwwww, he's either the biggest dummy in the world or ESPN is paying him some fat dollars to stir the pot and piss people off and make Seahawks haters happy...

Let's not forget how Clayton was saying it would be a horrible decision for Harvin to do Kick Off returns in the playoffs... I'm not even joking he's on record saying this nonsense.

I don't even hate Clayton, he's a likable guy and fun to listen to on radio... but I think he's gone FULL ON RETARD MODE or he's payed off by ESPN to say stupid shiz...

You should probably learn to spell and punctuate and improve your vocabulary before you call someone else a retard. Besides, he's largely right. Wilson is not yet an elite QB, mainly because he isn't asked to be. He still has RW ranked in the top third of QBs, which is pretty accurate. Perhaps once you learn the word "yet" you can engage in meaningful discussion.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":2ejdsqz8 said:
volsunghawk":2ejdsqz8 said:
Question to those who get upset over Wilson's ranking in the pundits' eyes, or whether he's considered elite...

Do you think Ben Roethlisberger is elite? Honest question.
No, but he's close. He's top 10 for sure, mostly because he actually has a pair unlike those behind him (e.g. Ryan, Cutler, Romo, Stafford), and the 1.25 rings (he nearly lost the first one for them). I'd also take him in a big game over some of the top guys (for sure Manning, probably Rodgers, and maybe Brees). It's all irrelevant in comparison to Wilson anyway, as RW is already better. Give Wilson a line, some real receiving threats, and 5-10 more throws and he puts up Rodgers-esque numbers. As he develops you're looking at a guy who should consistently have a 70% completion percentage, 30-35 tds, >10 int (which really, how many of his 18 have been "what were you doing throws?". I can think of maybe 2-3 which is insane), and between 110-120 qtbck rating. Also, the stats are not all of the story. Brady had one of his best ever seasons last year despite a drop statistically.

If you compare Wilson's first two seasons to Roethlisberger's first two seasons, there's a LOT of similarities (even down to the criticisms each QB has faced from the media). Add to that the fact that Roethlisberger has developed and proven that he can be the focal point for his team's offense (he's thrown for over 4000 yards in a season on multiple occasions) as opposed to the first two years, when he was primarily asked to (and let me know if this sounds familiar) protect the ball and make plays to keep the chains moving while letting the defense and run game remain the focus. In other words, Roethlisberger's done essentially what Wilson's done his first two seasons, and then continued to have success as a QB regardless of the system around him (Whisenhunt, Arians, Haley) and also while working behind one of the league's least impressive O-lines for years.

If you don't consider Roethlisberger elite, it's hard to call Wilson elite if you're being truly objective.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Two things about what he said rings of old thought processing. First he has his favorites and has had for awhile. RW is the upstart and has to pay his dues in Clayton's eyes. Very old school in that regard. Secondly, while they never will admit it Clayton and others like him regard passing as the benchmark. You can be the best QB the league has ever seen but if a QB's team is a balanced team your never going to get the recognition a pass happy team QB is going to get. The throws that RW made in the Super Bowl are some of the best throws you'll ever see, but he did not throw every down and that's what these clowns want. You'll never hear from Clayton about the come backs RW has done to win games. It's all about passing. There is no better QB in the league than RW at reading defenses. He may not be the best but he is at the top with none better. Yet you'll never hear Clayton talk about that at length concerning RW. Why? Because with guys like Clayton that seems to only count when you pass the ball.

Sports writers are like the old football coach that's set in their ways and won't change even when the game has long ago passed them by. Clayton's measuring stick is old, beat up and cracked.

Pete Carroll's development of RW will be something rarely, if ever seen before in the league. I listened to a interview he did the other day and I can't tell you how impressed I was at how he intends to further develop RW. The Super Bowl win means nothing in that regard.

While I'll listen to Clayton and guys like him I no longer take their words as gospel but rather with a pinch of salt now.

I will now climb back down off my soap box.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1s5puq1o said:
We won the Super Bowl. Who cares. People here need to stop being so insecure.

I approve this post.