Jimmy Graham and his one catch

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":36otavbe said:
Atylla, all good points though. There just seems to be a grand canyon between what he can do and what he has done for us. The only potential he's really lived up to so far is getting hurt. Though his absence when healthy is likely more Bevell's fault than Graham's.

Thanks!

Actually if I ask myself, "Did Jimmy Graham get worse when he came to us?" I have to think no.

I think it's much more plausible, that the difference in NO Graham and Seattle Graham is the passer. Not the receiver.

I think it's plausible to argue that Brees is a higher caliber passer than Wilson. And that Brees in his 10th through 14th years was simply much better at his craft than Wilson was in year 4. Brees had developed a level of anticipation that far exceeds Wilson. Wilson is improving at that aspect. But he's not where Brees is in his prime.

Wilson is also by team edict, required to be extra careful with the football. And I don't think that's a slight on him, nor is it a fault in the organization. Wilson has the benefit of a great defense. Brees has never had a defense even close to ours. It's the smart option to take extra care based on the team and talent we have. Instead of giving Wilson a bounty of pro bowl offensive linemen and all world receivers -- we choose to go a different route.

That care means that Wilson doesn't attempt throws where guys are as tightly covered like Brees would be required to do. And thus Graham doesn't get to bring his talents to bear as often here as he did in NO.

I think Graham is the same guy. I just don't think we pull the trigger on the passes that Graham turned into All Pro production.

I will say though, that in the final couple games where Graham played -- Wilson was starting to make those kinds of throws and Graham was making him look good. And Graham was churning 3rd down conversions despite being well defended. I hope he can get back to that -- because it's a very real advantage that Seattle could use.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
What surprised me last year, having not paid much attention to him before the Hawks traded for him, is how (how do you put it?) silky smooth his hands are catching a ball. The nearest player I can remember to having that same enigmatic quality was Sidney Rice.