Grading our Rookie Cornerbacks, Woolen and Bryant

olyfan63

Reaction score
What did people think of our rookie CB play from Woolen and Bryant? What strengths and "opportunities for growth" did people see?

I thought Tariq Woolen overall was fantastic for a rook, and held up well, aside from the one tough-luck PI call that gave the Donks 1st and goal. On a second, similar play later in the game, I noticed Woolen turned the other (proper) direction, and didn't get flagged. I'm guessing he got coached up on the sidelines, scolded to turn the proper way to look for the ball to avoid getting a PI call. There was also the play where he (foolishly?) tugged at the receiver's shirt and got called for PI on a pass into the end zone. I don't know, would that have been a catch and TD if Woolen didn't do that? Grade: B

Coby Bryant had the awkward-looking tackle-fail on Jerry Jeudy that led to the one TD pass Russell and the Donks had. What else did people see from him? Lacking data points, I'll go with Grade: C
EDIT: Seabowl pointed out that Bryant was benched after giving up that TD play and didn't see the field again.

Overall, our rook CBs did well enough to contribute to a team win, so there's that. You know an opposing OC and QB are going to look to test rookie corners.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I thought on the long play by Jeudy over Bryant and the long PI on Woolen they panicked. Yes Bryant was beat early but the ball hung up long enough that he he located it he was actually back close enough to knock it down. Same with Woolen on the long PI. He had time to turn. But those are the growing pains we will see this year.

Woolen made some plays too and good to see him get involved in stopping the run

Chevy

Reaction score
I thought Woolen looked great. Russ would look to Woolen's side of the field and then move on to his next progression. For me it seemed like Woolen locked down his side of the field.

I thought Woolen, a rookie 5th round selection, outplayed CB Patrick Surtain, who is a former 1st round top-10 pick.

Own The West

Reaction score
On the two deep balls to Woolen he had inside technique and looked to the inside. On the incomplete, the ball was thrown to the inside so he was able to make the play. Good D. On the PI, the ball was correctly thrown to the outside and he was unable to flip his hips and adjust (not that he had time to anyway), but if he'd kept his head turned and continued to play the ball there would have been no call nor catch since the pass was underthrown. Good D initially, but he bailed/panicked too early.

All in all a solid day for the rookie. The one thing I didn't like is that he was focusing on the crowd and trying to hype them up pre-snap instead of watching his man/formation/the snap. I don't know that it caused any problems, but I was still worried that he wasn't focused on job #1.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Very happy with both players. There were some growing pains. Unsurprisingly, both had some panic plays, but they recovered from them, to play great. I would agree with your grades if we were talking about veteran players, I would probably bump them up a half grade since that was their first game. The future looks bright.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It's all about making adjustments/refinements in their techniques. I'm guessing that their position coaches will be focusing on that this week.

All in all, they played well... considering.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Woolen was fine, he had a few rookie growing pain moments but overall did really well.

Idk how I can grade Coby, he didn’t see the field after that play, would’ve been nice to see how he bounced back from it.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
In defense of Woolen, there has to be some credit for the PI call given to the Denver WR. (Was it Sutton? Can't remember.) He pulled Woolen into him to basically keep him from being able to get his head around after he realized the ball wasn't going to be catchable. Now, should Woolen have gotten turned around prior?

Probably, yeah, but that was one of those NFL receiver tricks that a young CB isn't going to be prepared for until they've had some seasoning.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Coby was lost out there. Not ready for primetime.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
What did people think of our rookie CB play from Woolen and Bryant? What strengths and "opportunities for growth" did people see?

I thought Tariq Woolen overall was fantastic for a rook, and held up well, aside from the one tough-luck PI call that gave the Donks 1st and goal. On a second, similar play later in the game, I noticed Woolen turned the other (proper) direction, and didn't get flagged. I'm guessing he got coached up on the sidelines, scolded to turn the proper way to look for the ball to avoid getting a PI call. There was also the play where he (foolishly?) tugged at the receiver's shirt and got called for PI on a pass into the end zone. I don't know, would that have been a catch and TD if Woolen didn't do that? Grade: B

Coby Bryant had the awkward-looking tackle-fail on Jerry Jeudy that led to the one TD pass Russell and the Donks had. What else did people see from him? Lacking data points, I'll go with Grade: C
EDIT: Seabowl pointed out that Bryant was benched after giving up that TD play and didn't see the field again.

Overall, our rook CBs did well enough to contribute to a team win, so there's that. You know an opposing OC and QB are going to look to test rookie corners.
I think it most likely would've been a catch if he didn't tug. It's his fault for getting beat in the first place but anything that close and you gotta make sure it isn't 6. Who knows, anything can happen at the goal line...

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It was pure luck that the ball was completed on Bryant. Yes he was beat and beat badly but the ball was underthrown allowing Bryant to recover. The ball darn near hit his hands. When they say the game is a game of inches, in this play that was entirely true. Somehow the ball got through into Jeudy. Just as DJ Dallas should have had a punt block but the ball went right between his arms. If they were close together it's a block. I think Bryant will get more opportunities. Frankly Coleman wasn't very good yesterday and missed the tackle on the final drive to give them the opportunity to kick the winning FG.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Coby is going through some growing pains. Would like to see Burns out there soon. Tariq is outplaying his draft status.

Overall the game plan limited Broncos' explosive plays so that was good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For their first ever NFL start? Not bad at all. Def. some growing pains, which is to be expected. But this year is going to be a hell of a great learning experience for these guys.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Keep sherman around to help coach these guys up and I feel they'll excell. Byrant looked raw but showed alot of potential. Jackson is a stud..Just needs to learn to wrap up more instead of relying on shuolder hits. (Like ETIII) and Jones... The dude came in for Adams and filled in just fine. Overall there's always room for growth, I'll do my army days of "3 postives 3 negatives" like i did when we got back from missions on deployment but really I cant because

Positives:
1) They were near the ball, ball hawks
2) They didnt look as raw as I was expecting
3) Woolen is special the kid will be good
Negative:
1) They panicked too easily
2) They need to wrap up the tackles
3) They need to not only wrap up, but bring the players down. Not get trucked.