Jerry Rice not happy with the Seahawks...

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":26g6g4jz said:
NINEster":26g6g4jz said:
.............Of all the positions in football, there is more unanimity in seeing Rice as the best of his position than any other player at their position (QB, RB, OL, TE, LB, CB, S)............
While I agree it's nearly unanimous among fans and scholars of pro football that Rice is the GOAT at WR, as it should be, I think you're incorrect in saying at no other position is there a guy held in that regard, Nearly everyone still says Jim Brown was far and away the GOAT at RB. Very few people argue otherwise. And if you saw him play, you'd agree. In fact most lists of the greatest players in NFL history have Brown and Rice 1 and 2 in one order or the other.

Agreed, except that there are a whole lot of short sighted fans that does not include Yours Truly that never heard of Jimmy Brown and would argue that someone like Barry Sanders was the GOAT at RB.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":2targl7u said:
hawksfansinceday1":2targl7u said:
NINEster":2targl7u said:
.............Of all the positions in football, there is more unanimity in seeing Rice as the best of his position than any other player at their position (QB, RB, OL, TE, LB, CB, S)............
While I agree it's nearly unanimous among fans and scholars of pro football that Rice is the GOAT at WR, as it should be, I think you're incorrect in saying at no other position is there a guy held in that regard, Nearly everyone still says Jim Brown was far and away the GOAT at RB. Very few people argue otherwise. And if you saw him play, you'd agree. In fact most lists of the greatest players in NFL history have Brown and Rice 1 and 2 in one order or the other.

Agreed, except that there are a whole lot of short sighted fans that does not include Yours Truly that never heard of Jimmy Brown and would argue that someone like Barry Sanders was the GOAT at RB.
I'd put Sanders at #2. He just didn't have the combination of speed and power that Brown had though. More elusive for sure but Brown was nearly as fast and every bit as powerful as Lynch, if not more so.

I still believe that if Bo Jackson had concentrated on football solely and stayed healthy throughout his career he would've surpassed Brown as the GOAT at the position. And let me tell you, for me to say that is something because I still consider Brown the greatest football that ever lived. Bo had nearly the same power.....just a tad less, a bit more speed and more elusiveness that Jimmy to my eyes (I did see the last 2 years of Brown's career, '64 and '65.......considering he retired at age 29, that was really his peak).

A

Anonymous

Just curious; are we talking about the Seahawks and Rice here?

:les:

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1ukhdn1u said:

I think we're talking about Brown Rice

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1mpdlng0 said:

We were but River and I were trying to class up the thread so...............Seems you'd prefer we stay in the gutter that is Jerry Rice?
:stirthepot:

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":74ba3dc4 said:
I'd put Sanders at #2. He just didn't have the combination of speed and power that Brown had though. More elusive for sure but Brown was nearly as fast and every bit as powerful as Lynch, if not more so.

I still believe that if Bo Jackson had concentrated on football solely and stayed healthy throughout his career he would've surpassed Brown as the GOAT at the position. And let me tell you, for me to say that is something because I still consider Brown the greatest football that ever lived. Bo had nearly the same power.....just a tad less, a bit more speed and more elusiveness that Jimmy to my eyes (I did see the last 2 years of Brown's career, '64 and '65.......considering he retired at age 29, that was really his peak).

You must be about my age, because the early 60's is when I first really started following football (I was born in 1954), and Jimmy Brown was the first star player I became enamored with. Even accounting for the fact that kids that age are incredibly impressionable and that I'm sure I was no different, I still maintain that Jimmy Brown was the GOAT RB or at least the greatest I've ever seen.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":242uxs3j said:
hawksfansinceday1":242uxs3j said:

You must be about my age, because the early 60's is when I first really started following football (I was born in 1954), and Jimmy Brown was the first star player I became enamored with. Even accounting for the fact that kids that age are incredibly impressionable and that I'm sure I was no different, I still maintain that Jimmy Brown was the GOAT RB or at least the greatest I've ever seen.
Born in '56 so yep, we're the same basic age...............oh, and that would make us :les:
:229031_cheers:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not to nitpick but Jim Brown was never known as Jimmy Brown.

(born 1949 and NFL (Bears) fan starting in late '50s)

Reaneypark

Reaction score
A career 5.0 yards per carry average is hard to argue with, I'd say Brown is the GOAT at RB.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sorry Jerry but I don't know what the word "cuda" means.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":4cenerqk said:
I'm sorry Jerry but I don't know what the word "cuda" means.
Short for a car made by Plymouth in the 60s and 70s properly named "Barracuda". Don't know why he's referencing one as it seems a bit out of context, but hey, whatever.

Happy to help man. :mrgreen:

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1okvxo9s said:
Reaneypark":1okvxo9s said:
A career 5.0 yards per carry average is hard to argue with, I'd say Brown is the GOAT at RB.
Also averaged over 100 yds per game for his career. Utterly amazing.

Yep. Plus due to the way the game has changed, you will never see that record even remotely approached, at least not in my lifetime.

ivotuk

Reaction score
endzorn":1unw5wpz said:
I wonder what people would have said if Kaepernick was deepthroating a turkey drumstick at Seattle's 50.

We would have made a horrific Meme out of it! :p

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Rocket":13q4anr0 said:
Yeah and Rice cuda shown some respect and wore another damn number when he was a Seahawk...
Duh
Oh man hit that right on the head .what a flipping hypocrite

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
seedhawk":2mdibpdb said:
The entire turkey meal at midfield deal would have been way better if Siragusa had been the sideline reporter!
That could've led to an ugly incident.

Latest posts