Jeff Chadiha article on Wilson (ESPN)

themunn

Reaction score
SE174":1s7osi3q said:
themunn":1s7osi3q said:
I don't get the problem with the quote in the OP?
You honestly think Russell could just be a "more dynamic version of Alex Smith?"

I think it's unlikely, but he didn't say that's what he would be, in fact, he suggested that that is his floor

NinerBuff

Reaction score
themunn":2ibgy21l said:
SE174":2ibgy21l said:
themunn":2ibgy21l said:
I don't get the problem with the quote in the OP?
You honestly think Russell could just be a "more dynamic version of Alex Smith?"

I think it's unlikely, but he didn't say that's what he would be, in fact, he suggested that that is his floor

I think it's pretty fair to say the floor is Alex Smith and the ceiling is Drew Brees.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
i.e. fluff, collect paycheck, repeat, damn the man!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson's skill set is entirely different from Newton, RG3, Smith, Kaepernick, OR Luck. Chadiha obviously hasn't watched him enough to know this.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
As far as Wilson having to prove more that the other young QBs I'm skeptical of that. Is there anyone with more well-rounded skillset? An argument could be made for Griffin, but if you think staying healthy is something more than pure chance then Wilson definitely has the advantage in that category. Luck? Statistically it wasn't even close and I need to see more from him before I believe all that hype Chadiha is talking about.

The pressure nonsense is absurd. Wilson will continue to plug away in the little PNW and all that outside stuff will continue to mean nothing to him. Of course there are areas he can continue to get better at, like getting the ball out of his hands during precision timing routes, but are these areas any more significant than Luck's turnovers or Cam's leadership? Honestly I do think one or two young QBs fold next year, but I would say Wilson is at the top of the list for it not to happen.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2xzy5ih4 said:
I've never read anything from Chadiha that was really worth reading, I probably should stop clicking the links...

There really wasn't much said... He had a great season, some players suffer through sophomore slumps, he can be a successful game manager or become an icon. Yes, all of those are true.

I doubt RW has a setback next year. I see that other teams will key in on him, but adding Harvin won't make him worse. The only way I see him 'slightly' regressing is your away schedule is brutal, and maybe that contributes.

Honestly, Kaep has a higher chance of a sophomore slump than Wilson, but Kaep has a higher ceiling too. Now, until Crabs gets back (about Thanksgiving), RW will probably be statistically superior. When Crabs does get back, I think Kaep can really take off. Hopefully they can get AJ Jenkins and Vance McDonald up to speed during the first 3/4 of the season, so when Crabs gets back for the playoff run, the offense will be more balanced. We used Crabs too much last year, and it bit us in the *ss in the last series of the SB.

judging from what. IMO both Kaepernick and Wilson are the same athletically-- Let me explain. Both players have more than adaquate arm strength. Wilson has much better touch than Kaepernick at this point in their career. It could be argued that Kaepernick has a stronger arm, but that really doesn't matter as BOTH players can make any throw that's required.

Next Kaep may have better straight line speed (that's debateable) as Kaep ran a 4.53 at the combine and RW was 4.55, so that's not depreciably different. But I'd say RW has a distinctive edge in terms of agility or lateral quickness (interestingly enough RW out performed Kaep at the combine in the broadjump, verticle jump and 20 yard shuttle. ) RW is much more elusive than Kaep moving sideways and avoiding defenders.

The only real argument left to say that Kaep has more upside is to point to stature. 6-5, 230 vs. 5-11, 215. To say that RW was a product of his supporting cast and then to ignore it for Kaepernick is really dishonest. Both benefitted from playing good teams.

kearly

Reaction score
The sophomore slump crowd comes across like they are nursing some bruised egos.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3sgx9n1u said:
NinerBuff":3sgx9n1u said:
I've never read anything from Chadiha that was really worth reading, I probably should stop clicking the links...

There really wasn't much said... He had a great season, some players suffer through sophomore slumps, he can be a successful game manager or become an icon. Yes, all of those are true.

I doubt RW has a setback next year. I see that other teams will key in on him, but adding Harvin won't make him worse. The only way I see him 'slightly' regressing is your away schedule is brutal, and maybe that contributes.

Honestly, Kaep has a higher chance of a sophomore slump than Wilson, but Kaep has a higher ceiling too. Now, until Crabs gets back (about Thanksgiving), RW will probably be statistically superior. When Crabs does get back, I think Kaep can really take off. Hopefully they can get AJ Jenkins and Vance McDonald up to speed during the first 3/4 of the season, so when Crabs gets back for the playoff run, the offense will be more balanced. We used Crabs too much last year, and it bit us in the *ss in the last series of the SB.

judging from what. IMO both Kaepernick and Wilson are the same athletically-- Let me explain. Both players have more than adaquate arm strength. Wilson has much better touch than Kaepernick at this point in their career. It could be argued that Kaepernick has a stronger arm, but that really doesn't matter as BOTH players can make any throw that's required.

Next Kaep may have better straight line speed (that's debateable) as Kaep ran a 4.53 at the combine and RW was 4.55, so that's not depreciably different. But I'd say RW has a distinctive edge in terms of agility or lateral quickness (interestingly enough RW out performed Kaep at the combine in the broadjump, verticle jump and 20 yard shuttle. ) RW is much more elusive than Kaep moving sideways and avoiding defenders.

The only real argument left to say that Kaep has more upside is to point to stature. 6-5, 230 vs. 5-11, 215. To say that RW was a product of his supporting cast and then to ignore it for Kaepernick is really dishonest. Both benefitted from playing good teams.

I agree with everything you said here. And the size thing did contribute to a "potentially" higher ceiling. But it's semantics. Like you said, both guys can make all the throws and both guys benefited greatly from a great supporting cast.

And I do think that Wilson's floor is higher than Kaep's, but I still contend that Kaep's ceiling is still higher than Wilson, based on the fact that he improved significantly every start (other than the SEA game, which was a total team letdown,,, you all know). Like many of you have said, Wilson improved over the season. He was much better in the playoffs then early on. Same can be said for Kaep.

mikeak

Reaction score
BamKam":15i69yyu said:
Why is it that every time someone doesn't completely bow down to our players/team they are deemed idiots/morons/whatever?

Look I love RW and I believe he will be a star for many years, but he only has played 1 year and I am sure teams will adjust (and I think RW will adjust to that). Soph slumps are real.

Valid question and I have wondered the same many times - BUT this time the following was ignored

1) So RG3 and Luck had media pressure. RW started with the pressure that if he failed he would be pulled from the game and replaced with Flynn. This pressure was on not just during the week but every single game up through the Chicago game. Which is more pressure????

2) The WRs from last year were not stars the year before........

3) Wilson led / carried the team in several key games down the stretch. I don't really care if he hit 300 yards or not. Atlanta was not the first game that he showed superstar gameplay

4) Defense is better, Running game is as good or better, WRs are better this year. Please tell me again why RW suddenly now has to win game on his own anymore than he did last year. From where I am sitting across the board we should on paper be better so how did things get tougher on RW? Having the whole offseason with the team? Being THE QB the whole offseason instead of rotational practice? Everything put him in a better position

5) He is compared to Alex Smith, Hasselbeck, Tom Brady - neither one compares well to his style of game. Compare him to Doug Flutie or someone else mobile with an accurate arm. At least the writer got away from the normal habit of comparing a black qb to other black qbs and that should be appreciated

mikeak

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2l9pr5w2 said:
jlwaters1":2l9pr5w2 said:
NinerBuff":2l9pr5w2 said:

I agree with everything you said here. And the size thing did contribute to a "potentially" higher ceiling. But it's semantics. Like you said, both guys can make all the throws and both guys benefited greatly from a great supporting cast.

And I do think that Wilson's floor is higher than Kaep's, but I still contend that Kaep's ceiling is still higher than Wilson, based on the fact that he improved significantly every start (other than the SEA game, which was a total team letdown,,, you all know). Like many of you have said, Wilson improved over the season. He was much better in the playoffs then early on. Same can be said for Kaep.

This thread is about RW not about Kaep and forgetting how Kaep can't run and throw (look at his qbr doing both) makes any comparisons between the two worthless

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NinerBuff":22cxnwiv said:
jlwaters1":22cxnwiv said:
NinerBuff":22cxnwiv said:

fair enough.

SirTed

Reaction score
I really don't give a shit.

I don't care about opponents gameplans. I don't care how many times he threw for 300 yards. I don't care what RGIII, or Andrew Luck did. I don't care what any quarterback on any other team does. I don't care (when it comes to Wilson) how our defense or our running game rates. All that matters is whether or not he can lead this team to wins.

I have every confidence that's what Wilson is going to do, as does almost every poster on this board.

That was an incredibly ignorant article, and that dude should probably be ashamed. If he spent a couple hrs watching replays I think he would have scratched that article off of his list and moved on to "The top 10 most likely hair styles for Tom Brady going into '13" or whatever the hell is his next piece of "analysis".

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1dq45w46 said:
Wilson's skill set is entirely different from Newton, RG3, Smith, Kaepernick, OR Luck. Chadiha obviously hasn't watched him enough to know this.
He says on air his take was based on stats. Which means he doesn't take into account red zone stats, ypa, or common sense. And this idea that he had it easy because of his team's skill ignores that this team was teetering on missing the playoffs until Russell took over.

And the dumbass admits that if Russell were 6'3" the conversation never happens.

Jville

Reaction score
Scottemojo":35x7dyxf said:
MontanaHawk05":35x7dyxf said:
He says on air his take was based on stats. Which means he doesn't take into account red zone stats, ypa, or common sense. And this idea that he had it easy because of his team's skill ignores that this team was teetering on missing the playoffs until Russell took over.

And the dumbass admits that if Russell were 6'3" the conversation never happens.

It's a reflection of a national view of quarterbaacks who are perceived to be too short. I'm sure fans of the Saints tired of "too short" assumptions a long time ago.

Jeff Chadiha is out of touch with the program in Seattle. What's important is "how one finishes". The playoff game with Atlanta certainly put an exclamation point on the importance of finishing well! The Seahawk offense succeeded. It's a shame the defense failed.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with the premise that Russell still has a ton to prove. Defenses will be targeting him with real tape and tendencies. It isn't going to be as easy for him to just peel out of the pocket backwards and dance. Teams are going to try to force him to step up instead. And Russell may have a bit more thrown on his plate this year. If he does, he'll have to respond. So I don't disagree about these things. He hasn't shown as much as Luck or RGIII.

What I don't agree with is the air of doubt. You can tell Chadiha doesn't believe Russell will take the necessary steps towards improvement and towards becoming an elite QB.

I am not one that believes Russell Wilson is already on the level of the elite QB's, or that he'll necessarily get there this season, but by no means do I expect him to backtrack or fail to improve. Chadiha is taking a gamble that with as good as our running game is, and as easy as we made things for Russell by and large last season, he won't step forward as more is asked of him. First, I don't think much more will be asked of him. Second, if it is, I have no doubt that Wilson will react well, it is just what Russell Wilson does.

Latest posts