Jeff Chadiha article on Wilson (ESPN)

SE174

Reaction score
Might as well get this one started. This guy is an imbecile.

What we can't see yet is how far his skills might take him. He merely could be a more dynamic version of Alex Smith, the second coming of Matt Hasselbeck or even another Tom Brady, who went from being a skilled game manager in his early years to an icon in the second half of his career. People tend to forget that when they rave about New England's star quarterback. He was successful largely because of all the talent surrounding him -- and the approach of his coaches -- at the start of his run.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93967 ... w-pressure

Here's the audio from his interview on Brock and Danny:
http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9957663&p=3&n=

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This guy just sort of paid attention, the only way Wilson moves is forward, and when he suggests that Wilson will now be compared to luck and rg3, I say finally! He's better and outplayed them last year with fewer reps and a limited offense for the entire first half of the season, he's not airing it out because that's not Pete's philosophy. He's going to go off this year.

BamKam

Reaction score
Why is it that every time someone doesn't completely bow down to our players/team they are deemed idiots/morons/whatever?

Look I love RW and I believe he will be a star for many years, but he only has played 1 year and I am sure teams will adjust (and I think RW will adjust to that). Soph slumps are real.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1uy50bkd said:
I couldn't finish it. He knows nothing about Wilson, obviously.

He was just on with Brock and Danny. He admitted he wasn't an expert but he based his opinions off of talking to a lot of experts.

I think it's easy to look at RGIII and Newton and be blown away by their physical attributes.

I also think this guy completely missed out on all of the times Wilson had to go to the air and did an incredible job.

Wilson is always going to deal with the perception of his ability based on height. Luckily for us, that perception no basis on actual production.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
BamKam":1otvl58n said:
Why is it that every time someone doesn't completely bow down to our players/team they are deemed idiots/morons/whatever?

Look I love RW and I believe he will be a star for many years, but he only has played 1 year and I am sure teams will adjust (and I think RW will adjust to that). Soph slumps are real.

8 games, half of the entire season, the offense was dialed back, if we were a big market team the media would completely understand our philosophy because they would be paying attention, the fact is that the majority of them do not. Which is what fuels at least part of me as a fan, not too much though because there is no sense in arguing with ignorance, that will make you crazy. This is just a fluff piece anyway, but the fact remains, he is obviously is not in touch with the seahawks football team, russell wilson, or pete carroll as a coach.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The issue is not someone questioning Wilson and wondering if he may regress or "slump" - it's them relying on the same old tired "he had a running game and defense" excuse and basing their opinion on the fact he didn't have 300 yard games every week.

He sure didn't have the running game and defense to rely on against Atlanta. He carried the team.

They also don't understand his commitment, work ethic and desire which will squash the slump potential.

BamKam

Reaction score
He did mention that RW could potentially become an icon. The comparison he made to Tom Brady isn't really an out of this world one. If anything I see it as a compliment to our entire team.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
"The question Wilson will face this season is how he'll cope when defenses force him to win more games on his own talents." = misinformed

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I don't think Chadiha is an idiot so much as merely ignorant. He sounds like he really has not seen Wilson play much, and hey, we are in Seattle so only us and maybe the fans of teams in our division watched Wilson on a regular basis last year. Someone above mentioned that he wrote most of this article based on hearsay, and it reads as such.

I am perplexed as to why Wilson gets articles about how his team around him was so good and that's why he is good, but those same folks act like RGIII did not have Alfred Morris in the backfield with him or like Colin Kaepernick also didn't have a stacked running game and a good defense on his side. Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part, but it feels that way.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I've never read anything from Chadiha that was really worth reading, I probably should stop clicking the links...

There really wasn't much said... He had a great season, some players suffer through sophomore slumps, he can be a successful game manager or become an icon. Yes, all of those are true.

I doubt RW has a setback next year. I see that other teams will key in on him, but adding Harvin won't make him worse. The only way I see him 'slightly' regressing is your away schedule is brutal, and maybe that contributes.

Honestly, Kaep has a higher chance of a sophomore slump than Wilson, but Kaep has a higher ceiling too. Now, until Crabs gets back (about Thanksgiving), RW will probably be statistically superior. When Crabs does get back, I think Kaep can really take off. Hopefully they can get AJ Jenkins and Vance McDonald up to speed during the first 3/4 of the season, so when Crabs gets back for the playoff run, the offense will be more balanced. We used Crabs too much last year, and it bit us in the *ss in the last series of the SB.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't get the problem with the quote in the OP?

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
BamKam":b7avfb53 said:

Not really.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... l-thoughts
Some initial findings: Ten quarterbacks from 2008 through 2011 were regular starters in both their first and second seasons. Five of the 10 posted significantly higher Total QBR scores in their second seasons. Three others posted second-year Total QBR scores that were very similar to their first-season scores. Two others, Bradford and Matt Ryan, posted significantly lower scores in their second seasons.

Ryan was the only one of the bunch with a stellar first-year Total QBR score. His was 74.1 in 2008, well above the 50-point average and among the top few scores in the league. We could say he "slumped" to a 56.6 in his second season, and that is surely what people will say happened if Wilson, Luck or Griffin III aren't as good in 2013 as they were during their sensational 2012 rookie seasons.

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
themunn":2ag0sg60 said:
I don't get the problem with the quote in the OP?
You honestly think Russell could just be a "more dynamic version of Alex Smith?"

drdiags

Reaction score
Chadiha seemed to be more in tune with the AFC from other articles I have read of his. I didn't have a problem with his article, though I thought he was giving RGIII a little too much credit for carrying the Skins. There may have been more pressure on RGIII, but that had more to do with him being selected 2nd overall in the draft and the amount of draft capital Washington invested in him.

His message though does play to the national narrative, Luck and RGIII were the focus of the national media types until late in the season. His article just tells me he values those 2 as well as Newton and Kaepernick a little more for what they have accomplished. As he states, he spoke with others inside the league on their take, so he isn't a lone wolf on the evaluation.

I don't expect rosy reports on our players but just fair and balanced reporting, for whatever that is worth. He did the best he could and for that I appreciate his efforts. I don't have to agree.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Why did this become a discussion about the Whiners again.? :roll: