It's time to sit Jermaine Kearse

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I was thrilled to see Jermaine return in the offseason because he has this knack for making big plays but dude has been damn near invisible this season and seems to have the drop issue coming back full circle.

Conversely Lockett is healthy again and Paul Richardson has made some nice plays in limited action. I'd like to see Richardson start opposite Baldwin and bump Kearse down to WR4. He's just not a good WR right now and this offense is finally showing signs of the 2015 2nd half version.

Thoughts?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
How do you know that Kearse just hasn't been a piece of the gameplan this year?

Besides, Kearse has been targeted a lot more the last 2 or three games. Yesterday was just a droppie game for him.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RW missed his first few throws to Kearse, especially so when throwing left. But they connected for some big plays later, it's a big X-factor for the Hawks.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Personally, I'd sit him and play more 2TE with Vannett and Graham. Kearse catches the occasional slant / fade but I think we'd get more out of having Vannett and Graham on the field at the same time.

Just my opinion.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Yes, 175lb Paul Richardson and 170lb Tyler Lockett would make for excellent blockers on the edge.

Kearse has a role on this team. He struggles with certain routes, the slant in particular. I think it may have something to do with his vision not being completely corrected but that is just me speculating.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Kearse has a huge role in this offense. Not everything has to be about catches. His downfield blocking is off the hook. Much needed part of the game..

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":31ldd566 said:
Kearse has a huge role in this offense. Not everything has to be about catches. His downfield blocking is off the hook. Much needed part of the game..

Yeah I think they are keeping him in at 2 for his blocking and possible explosive plays, not necessarily as a safety blanket type receiver. Also him at the 2 allows PRich and Lockett to play comfortably at the Z or 3rd receiver.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":26yfyj58 said:
Seahwkgal":26yfyj58 said:

Yeah I think they are keeping him in at 2 for his blocking and possible explosive plays, not necessarily as a safety blanket type receiver. Also him at the 2 allows PRich and Lockett to play comfortably at the Z or 3rd receiver.
Exactly!!! :2thumbs:

Largent80

Reaction score
My thought is that you aren't the coach and he likes Kearse. Did he have a rough game? Yes but he has made dozens of good catches for the Seahawks.

He isn't going to sit.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I'm all for playing Richardson ahead of Kearse. He makes the most out of the few opportunities he's been getting, and has a clear edge in both hands and athleticism. I say we roll with him, when the opposing CBs start majorly disrupting the run game then let's think about putting Kearse back in for his "blocking prowess" (I think the difference is at best marginal and definitely way overblown). We need playmakers in there, and Kearse has been pretty meh this year.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Kearse is Kearse. If any of you followed him at UW you know he ALWAYS drops balls, I was amazed that he actually made the team a few years ago. He will always make some good catches AND will always drop a LOT of passes.

He is what he is, ain't gonna change, a decent No. 3

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3r9xnekj said:
How do you know that Kearse just hasn't been a piece of the gameplan this year?

Besides, Kearse has been targeted a lot more the last 2 or three games. Yesterday was just a droppie game for him.

What game isn't a "droppie" game for him?

nash72

Reaction score
Kearse is a Wilson favorite and although he has a bad game here and there, he has earned his playing time. I have no issues with him being on the field.

chris98251

Reaction score
The non catch on the goal line was him trying to do more then he should have, didn't have complete control, if he would have pulled it in rather then try to stretch it out we would have been on the one, had he maintained control and reached across everyone would have been praising his ability to catch and stretch it over. Kid can't win.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3vjmjtte said:
I was thrilled to see Jermaine return in the offseason because he has this knack for making big plays but dude has been damn near invisible this season and seems to have the drop issue coming back full circle.

Conversely Lockett is healthy again and Paul Richardson has made some nice plays in limited action. I'd like to see Richardson start opposite Baldwin and bump Kearse down to WR4. He's just not a good WR right now and this offense is finally showing signs of the 2015 2nd half version.

Thoughts?

Do you value edge blocking? An honest question.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Opinions can't be wrong but they can certainly be stupid. All these couch coaches coming up with cockamamie lineups are the same people who praise PC. If he thought any of these ideas were good one he'd be acting on them without your help.

Richardsosn has made a handful of catches in between year long stints on IR but he should replace a guy that has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. Vannett hasn't done crap yet. Just because something pops into your head doesn't mean you need to post it

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Eventually the Hawks will get a real big bodied split end WR to replace him but for now we are stuck with him. He's just a guy.

King Dog

Reaction score
HawkerD":3islh0l9 said:
Opinions can't be wrong but they can certainly be stupid. All these couch coaches coming up with cockamamie lineups are the same people who praise PC. If he thought any of these ideas were good one he'd be acting on them without your help.

Richardsosn has made a handful of catches in between year long stints on IR but he should replace a guy that has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. Vannett hasn't done crap yet. Just because something pops into your head doesn't mean you need to post it
RAWR

Bryce84

Reaction score
I still can't believe he's under contract for 2 more years. He's not very good - I don't think he'd start for any other team in this league. There are way more bad plays than there are good ones when he's targeted and its beyond frustrating to watch. Kearse also can't get open without committing an OPI. Those of you who saying he's out there to block probably haven't actually watched him block. He has the frame that would make you think he's a good blocker, but he's very soft in that regard. For example, Doug is a better blocker than Kearse despite a smaller frame. Yes, the next WRs in the pecking order are much more slight of build, but I'd still rather see them out there.

You guys ever wonder why those WR screens we ran with Harvin and others always had such a poor success rate? In large part because Kearse can't block. The most successful WR screens I remember seeing was when Kearse would get the ball, leaving the blocking to other guys.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Kearse just doesn't do it for me. Yes, yes, he has been a HUGE part of our success in terms of his big play ability over the past few years and we cannot take that from him or deny that fact. The problem is, he's simply not reliable. He's not Baldwin who is clutch, clutch, clutch.

I am still scratching my head over why the Seahawks insisted on going to Kearse THAT often last night. Made no sense to me. I am quite sure Russ could have found other options. It seemed contrived and forced to me.

Kearse is a bit better than a JAG due to his big play capabilities, but frankly I am tired of his sub-par performances that heavily outweigh his super star performances.