It's not too late

Ozzy

Reaction score
Having made the above statement, I don't feel that Geno's play during the past few months is the root cause of our problems. Our protection hasn't been as good and especially in the past 4 games, our running game has disappeared, and not many QB's are going to perform at a high level in the absence of at least a respectable running game. But let's not kid ourselves. Contrary to what others have said, Geno is not a credible MVP candidate and is not playing at a Pro Bowl level.
Good post. He has been way better than I expected this year and its an awesome story to watch play out because he's worked his ass off for a decade, got a chance and is making the best of it. But its one year, he's 32, will cost a ton of money now and hasn't played great as of late. I defintely think you can win with him and he could be a pro-bowler for the next couple of years. But I just can't see passing on a QB if you think a franchise elite guy is there because you never get the chance to draft those guys, especially if you're Seattle. And luckily for them if JOhn doesn't think this draft has that guy how nice is it that you can get an Anderson, Carter etc as well and shore up the glaring weakness in your defense.

I guess my point is, I'm not ruling out a QB even if it would surprise me a little if they took one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know how PFF works their EPA average, either. It's probably like ESPN's QB rating, uses some type of subjective criteria. But PFF is the undeniable gold standard when it comes to professional football analysis, and since it aligned with what my eyeballs have been telling me, I went ahead and posted it.

Haha. It fits my opinion so I'm linking it up?

I respect that.

PFF is weird, they use weird stats in their grading system.

But general opinion of Geno of late? Yes, he hasn't played as well as he did earlier in the year. But don't you think that has more to do with his defense playing like dog shit and his run game evaporating then it does about him?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would add that while I've been extremely critical of how John/Pete have drafted the past 7-8 years (outside of this last class) I do trust John at evaluating quarterbacks. He seems to have an eye for it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll consider it. If they were willing to ship out pre-decline Wilson for both Josh Allen and Mahomes, then I'm sure they'll consider this if they see a must-have. However, it'll just be another QB with a bad defense again for a few years. Re-signing Geno should be a priority and that lets them have the free rein to go D heavy with early picks and get the QBotF in a later draft.
I'm not sure about that. You have a ton of early picks in this draft and one pick in the first isn't all you have to fix your issues. You have another first and two seconds to play with. But your strategy is viable too depends on how John sees the QB position which will be fun to watch.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think we all would agree Pete would never "conspire" to lose any game, his teams will "always compete" to the best of their ability on any given Sunday. (or Thursday, or Monday, etc.) That said, 7-10 would not be out of the question for a final record, as none of the final 4 games are obvious wins, the way the team has been playing.

Most like outcome:
LOSS 49ers @ Seahawks Dec 15 • 8:15 PM
LOSS Seahawks @ Chiefs Dec 24 • 1:00 PM
TOSSUP Jets @ Seahawks Jan 1 • 4:05 PM
TOSSUP Rams @ Seahawks Jan 8 • 1:00 PM

It would take a miracle, IMO, for the Hawks to beat the 49ers on Thursday night. 49ers are built as the ultimate bullies to wear down and exploit this light-in-the-pockets Seattle defense. Without much run support, it will be a tough night for Geno, more picks likely.

Seahawks @ Chiefs, Hawks would actually have a chance, but I expect KC watches film too and will run the Hawks front 7 into submission; KC does have the horses; and then Mahomes will connect on several explosive plays and it will be a 2-score or more loss.

Jets at Seahawks, Saleh has watched the Tampa/LVR/Carolina film too, and MAY have the horses to run the Hawks into submission. I expect a close game.

Rams at Seahawks, NEVER take a victory over the Rams for granted, they always play the Hawks tough and I always expect some surprises from McVay.

So it's not that much of a stretch for 7-10 to happen. I think 8-9 is the most likely ending record. Which might put the Hawks own pick closer to say, #15 than #10.

The Hawks just need to draft our own bullies all the way through the draft. There will be ample opportunities.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get it, but I see the temptation after watching this defense sabotage any chance of winning every week.

As I said above, losing also opens up a can of worms some people aren't thinking about.

It's not just about draft position, it's about establishing your personnel and momentum going forward. So I'll ask you, do you honestly believe improving our draft position 5-6 spots outweighs all the harm that would come from getting destroyed the last four games?

Because that means Geno's regressed, the run game's in shambles, the O-line has issues, and the overall sentiment and momentum of whatever you built up until now is gone?

Not for me, no thanks. I'd rather win a couple more games, possibly make the playoffs, have a solid starting QB in Geno and hyper focus on the front seven in the draft.

That sure seems like a better scenario than introducing another 3-4 drastic needs with losing out and what that would mean.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
As I said above, losing also opens up a can of worms some people aren't thinking about.

It's not just about draft position, it's about establishing your personnel and momentum going forward. So I'll ask you, do you honestly believe improving our draft position 5-6 spots outweighs all the harm that would come from getting destroyed the last four games?

Because that means Geno's regressed, the run game's in shambles, the O-line has issues, and the overall sentiment and momentum of whatever you built up until now is gone?

Not for me, no thanks. I'd rather win a couple more games, possibly make the playoffs, have a solid starting QB in Geno and hyper focus on the front seven in the draft.

That sure seems like a better scenario than introducing another 3-4 drastic needs with losing out and what that would mean.
I think all those things are already happening and they will go 0-4 or 1-3 the rest of the way.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
DL is in no bed of roses either.

DL picks in the Top Ten 11-21:

Worthy of the pick:
Nick Bosa
Myles Garrett
Joey Bosa
DeForest Buckner

Unworthy:
Derrick Brown
Chase Young
Ed Oliver
Clelin Ferrell
Quinnen Williams
Bradley Chubb
Solomon Thomas
Dante Fowler Jr.
Leonard Williams
Jadeveon Clowney
Ezekiel Ansah
Dion Jordan
Aldon Smith
Marcell Dareus

Admittedly some of the unworthy are serviceable to solid, but surely didn’t live up to the expectations.

Top ten QBs have too much pressure to slide into that category. It’s boom or bust with a slight chance to fade into the background as a back up.
Some of these “unworthy” players you speak of, have wrecked Seattle’s offensive line in the past few years and otherwise have been dominant.

Nonetheless, some if not most of these players you list as unworthy, would be an upgrade for Seattle’s defensive line.

I would have to disagree that these players listed as “unworthy” aren’t good and would be better players than what Seattle currently has on rotation.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We started this year with most of believing that the team would finish 7-10, 8-9, or 9-8... and right now I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that our 2022 record will be one of the above. Our record is currently 7-6.

Our draft position will be what it is... somewhere near the middle of the pack.

If we lose out, it should be around #10 overall.

If we go 9-8, it should be around #16 to #18 overall.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Haha. It fits my opinion so I'm linking it up?

I respect that.

PFF is weird, they use weird stats in their grading system.

But general opinion of Geno of late? Yes, he hasn't played as well as he did earlier in the year. But don't you think that has more to do with his defense playing like dog shit and his run game evaporating then it does about him?
I'm just trying to be honest with you and the others. I don't know how they figure it, but I trust the source.

And yes, I agree with you about the defense and running game having an effect on his performance, and I think I said something to that effect somewhere.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Good post. He has been way better than I expected this year and its an awesome story to watch play out because he's worked his ass off for a decade, got a chance and is making the best of it. But its one year, he's 32, will cost a ton of money now and hasn't played great as of late. I defintely think you can win with him and he could be a pro-bowler for the next couple of years. But I just can't see passing on a QB if you think a franchise elite guy is there because you never get the chance to draft those guys, especially if you're Seattle. And luckily for them if JOhn doesn't think this draft has that guy how nice is it that you can get an Anderson, Carter etc as well and shore up the glaring weakness in your defense.

I guess my point is, I'm not ruling out a QB even if it would surprise me a little if they took one.
Thanks.

I certainly wouldn't rule out taking a QB, either, if one is available that they really like. But I don't want to sell the farm to trade up ala the Niners. At best, Geno is a bridge to get us to our next franchise QB.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
huh? MOST of the lineman you put in the "unworthy" category are and some still are very good D-lineman. So I'm confused about this one, you're proving my point, not yours. MUCH higher hit rate on D-linemen difference makers than QB's.
I don’t think any in the 2nd category are consistent game wreckers and thats what most on here are calling for with the first pick. Some have flashed and some have been steady, but we’re talking about a top 10 pick here.

DL is a safer pick in that the floor is lower, but you can’t argue the high ceiling of hitting on a franchise QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Having made the above statement, I don't feel that Geno's play during the past few months is the root cause of our problems. Our protection hasn't been as good and especially in the past 4 games, our running game has disappeared, and not many QB's are going to perform at a high level in the absence of at least a respectable running game. But let's not kid ourselves. Contrary to what others have said, Geno is not a credible MVP candidate and is not playing at a Pro Bowl level.
I'm not sure how well any QB is going to be with No Defense or Running game to help.
He also has a line with TWO rookie tackles.
I think Geno is doing pretty damn good considering all that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Go DT with the Donkey's pick and use either our own pick in the 1st or the Donkey's 2nd rounder to select a QB.

And then go EDGE or LB with our own 2nd and interior Oline with our 3rd round pick.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I get it, but I see the temptation after watching this defense sabotage any chance of winning every week.
Exactly. And I know the loan and groan about "tanking"

We all want the Seahawks to succeed, but this team isn't going to do anything even if they make the playoffs. Let's draft some talent and sign some free agents and win the Superbowl next year

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Chase young is 23 years old, and a damn good player. Unworthy?
Flashed his rookie year, a non factor since. Commies will be lucky to get two good years out of his rookie contract as the 2nd overall pick ie not cheap @ 34.5 mil.

Bradley Chubb is 26, also damn good.
There's some pretty damn good lineman on that "unworthy" list. And guys who had solid careers.
Another rookie flash and meh since as the #5 overall pick. Denver traded him away because they didn’t think his 5th year option was worth it.

He may prove worth the extension in Miami; not sure how you argue Denver got a return on the 5th pick & dollars invested.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not sure how well any QB is going to be with No Defense or Running game to help.
He also has a line with TWO rookie tackles.
I think Geno is doing pretty damn good considering all that.
I'm not going to go so far as calling Geno's recent performances "pretty damn good" no matter what qualifier you want to attach to it. He's not playing like dog crap, but he's not carrying the team, either. He's playing like what you'd expect from a .500ish, mediocre club.