It's been awhile...

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Good to see you back BFS, I had to turn off the avatars because of HR.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2saf0vcb said:
hawksfansinceday1":2saf0vcb said:
bestfightstory":2saf0vcb said:
.......I actually rode a motorcycle from Minneapolis to Vegas in the first few days of August and left it at my uncle's place in Boulder City so I would have a motorcycle there to explore the desert states during the winter.....
What do you ride?
I have an '06 Road King and have ridden across the USA and back, ocean to ocean as well as most the National Parks in the west, the attractions in South Dakota, Vegas several times, Tahoe, Beartooth Pass, etc. Have you ridden the Million Dollar Hwy when you were in Colorado (Ouray to Durango, US 550)? "Spectacular" doesn't do it justice.
You travel solo? (I do)

16 months ago I had zero bikes and hadn't been on one for 22 years. Now I own 3. A 1973 Granada Red BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank with 45,000 miles. A 1973 Curry BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank with 12,000 actual miles! And a 1994 BMW R1100RS. And I am likely not done. Considering a ride from Vasteras Sweden to the Cape of Good Hope with my closest friend from high school, who is a recently retired Marines Colonel.
A couple of classics. Nice!
That would be a helluva ride. Post pix if you do it please

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Leif!

Now there's one of the OGs that I like seeing back! Hope to see you and your glitter at Temple this year!

nanomoz

Reaction score
bestfightstory":x12ylku3 said:
Just looked at the map. I must have rode right by Cedar City on that motorcycle ride. Denver, CO, up through Breckenridge and over by Moab and on through Utah to Vegas has to be the most beautiful interstate drive in the country to my knowledge.

Seriously let me know when you're out this way. If you're into the red rock, Cedar City is a great perch. We're renovating a place now and we'll have a guest room.

On a bike, I think highway 14 to 89 to 12 through cedar mountain/cedar breaks then down through red canyon and down into the grand staircase--with a sojourn on hell's backbone (N. America's most elevated alpine forest)--would be about the best ride ever. You could come back by going up 89 a ways and then through the 20 and Garfield County. Some amazing black rock formations not unlike what you see around the snake river in Idaho, peppered with these strange, nearly dead little towns.

Parts of Iron County (where Cedar City is) and Garfield County are this weird, transitional landscape that's simultaneously alpine, desert, and part of the Colorado plateau.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
nanomoz":2xe2lm4b said:
..........On a bike, I think highway 14 to 89 to 12 through cedar mountain/cedar breaks then down through red canyon and down into the grand staircase--with a sojourn on hell's backbone (N. America's most elevated alpine forest)--would be about the best ride ever...........
I rode this about 5-6 years ago and included Zion and Bryce Canyon stops along the way. Grand Staircase is very cool. Hwy 12 is truly amazing, top 10 of the roads I've ridden for sure. nanomoz's advice is top drawer here BFS.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ys37eyjz said:
nanomoz":ys37eyjz said:
..........On a bike, I think highway 14 to 89 to 12 through cedar mountain/cedar breaks then down through red canyon and down into the grand staircase--with a sojourn on hell's backbone (N. America's most elevated alpine forest)--would be about the best ride ever...........
I rode this about 5-6 years ago and included Zion and Bryce Canyon stops along the way. Grand Staircase is very cool. Hwy 12 is truly amazing, top 10 of the roads I've ridden for sure. nanomoz's advice is top drawer here BFS.

RIGHT ON!!

Greatly appreciate the offer, nanomoz. As well as the info, nanomoz and hawksfansincedayone. Sounds like you both know your way around. I have been to Utah twice and although i orient towards the natural beauty of the PNW and Alaska (which I happen to be typing this from a flight en route to) I am so impressed by Arches and Zion and Grand Staircase Escalante and all the browns and reds and yellows that exist in the desert. It’s a fascinating area. Still haven’t been to New Mexico-I want to check that out as well.

I will never get enough traveling in in one lifetime. I know that.