Is there any question about our 2014 1st or 2nd round pick..

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1cr8mggm said:
FWIW, Seattle did want to draft OL with their 2nd rounder this year, but the guy they had their eye on didn't even come close to making it (my guess: Kyle Long from Oregon who went to the Bears 20th overall). So sure, maybe they draft OL early. But it has to be the right guy, and the Seahawks are loathe to trade up, especially next year as they are without their 3rd rounder.

I don't see them drafting a guy early just because he's an OL. The last time they did that, they drafted Carpenter and Moffitt, and didn't seem terribly thrilled about the situation when it happened.

As it turned out, Chicago looks like a genius taking him. Long turned out to be worth his selection.

I agree though. Seattle has shown repeatedly that outside of a special talent, they look like they see guys in bunches. And if many or all of them fall, they are quick to trade back and gain extra picks and take whichever guy from that group still standing.

theENGLISHseahawk":1cr8mggm said:
It's going to be another year where a lot of offensive tackles go early. We could see five go in the top 15 picks. It's going to be difficult to fill that need without reaching -- assuming Seattle picks late in round one and two. I've not seen a guard yet worth a round one grade. I really like the center at Florida.

Also, remember that some guys are going to get cut this off season in order to resign Sherman, Thomas and probably Bennett. So the biggest need on this team might not be abundantly clear right now. And depth is not usually a first or second round pick. When our guys are healthy I think we have a good offensive line. And they might feel comfortable starting Bowie if they can't afford to resign Breno.

It's still early. Last year didn't have a lot of pass rush talent or receiving talent to push OL down to their traditional range. And no QB prospects to do the same either. If anything, I think they just percolated up the draft boards because there wasn't the expected quality at impact positions you normally see to suppress them.

I expect as the college season moves on, Gabe Jackson OG out of MSU will begin to garner solid 20-35 consideration. He should be there already and thoroughly dominated Anthony Johnson DT LSU this year who is a solid day 2/fringe day 1 talent. Beyond that, the OG class seems more like a normal class.

While I know that some pine for Beckham at the tail end of round 1 and I agree he looks like a great prospect, I cannot see San Fransisco passing on him as a quality complement to Crabtree. That team is desperate for WR talent and there isn't a close second need. If Seattle is looking at him specifically for that position, then we'll need to make sure we are picking ahead of SF at the very least.

The cuts in March are going to be important to track. They may provide some insight into what those other positions Seattle could be targeting in April.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I'd love to go RT at 32 next year. I would be fine with going TE too, even with Miller, McCoy, and Willson on the roster.

Other than that, we'll have to replenish our DT position because McDaniel, Bennett, and McDonald will all be in position to make better money elsewhere, though I really hope we keep Bennett.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Carp is a 1st round pick. Currently he isn't living up to that label. So drafting a lineman in the 1st or 2nd pick may not be best player available. They've done better when they have drafted the BPA rather than drafting for need. Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman, etc. I'd rather see them go that route and get value vs. someone drafted high that is oft injured or is a project type. The last thing this team needs is another high pick that doesn't cut it's mustard. Seahawks have had bad luck with 1st round OL unless they are picking in the top 20. Spencer and Carp were both low 1st round picks and neither played to their draft pick status (still time for Carp but not looking good).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will trade down twice.

Turn their first into an early to mid round 2nd and a 4th.

Turn their 2nd into an early to mid round 3rd and a 5th plus 6th.

It will all depend how they view linemen from this draft compared to the projections of their own guys.

If Carp makes it through this season without injury, I see him coming back in the best shape ever entering his contract year.

Sweezy in year 3 is going to be better than Sweezy in year 2.

What can Bailey and Bowie do with a full off-season, both players are talented enough to be fixtures, but both are young at 21. In comparison when Moffitt came into the league he turned 25 that year I believe. Bailey and Bowie are young enough to pretty much build them into what you want... get them in the training room, get them in the classroom and really work with them... get them on the field, get them that experience ... in 2 to 3 years they could be transformed into some bad ass linemen.

Its all about the projections and how Cable views where his linemen are in their development compared to those whom are in the draft that are available.

While top picks would be nice... I'm fine if they didn't draft a lineman high as long as we get a few of them with mid rounds picks to bolster competetion.

Another interesting question would be: is if McQuistan wanted to come back on a vet min deal and be a backup and Breno could be had for a 1 yr, 1.5 mil deal...after this knee thing will kind of ruin his market.

Do the Seahawks pounce on that or walk away?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1co47zer said:
Carp is a 1st round pick. Currently he isn't living up to that label. So drafting a lineman in the 1st or 2nd pick may not be best player available. They've done better when they have drafted the BPA rather than drafting for need. Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman, etc. I'd rather see them go that route and get value vs. someone drafted high that is oft injured or is a project type. The last thing this team needs is another high pick that doesn't cut it's mustard. Seahawks have had bad luck with 1st round OL unless they are picking in the top 20. Spencer and Carp were both low 1st round picks and neither played to their draft pick status (still time for Carp but not looking good).

We could wring our hands and worry about that for sure.

I'd submit a pretty parallel example. In 2011, we picked Carpenter while the Chicago Bears picked Gabe Carimi.

Carimi was a guy a lot of fans kind of hoped we'd pick. As it turned out, both have underwhelmed significantly. Where the Bears struggled somewhat with other picks, we hit on quite a few. But both teams were similarly successful, and both teams had at the time need for OL help.

The Bears were in a more dire, but similar position to us after the 2011 draft. Namely, they shared the suffering of an O line that was not good at pass protection, but had a successful running attack. Unlike us, Cutler is a guy who can't make up for the ills of his protection problems. And Chicago suffered to a greater degree than we have.

Chicago didn't just throw up their hands and cry for years about how they wasted their first round pick. Instead, they went back to the draft and did exactly what you said. They added help in the first round and did so again later in the draft.

This year, Cutler looks like a franchise QB again. Their protection problems having been greatly reduced. And it's due to the fact that they didn't just quit on fixing their problems because they failed late in 2011.

Seattle's pass protection can be improved. I don't think anyone that argues we shouldn't take an O lineman early would really argue that point. Just as anyone that thinks we should invest in the O line with top shelf talent wouldn't easily concede that Wilson's ability to elude rushers makes up for poor protection in much the same way as a Peyton Manning's ability to get rid of the ball does.

But we see what Wilson can do in the pocket when he has time and I think we'd all agree that we'd like to see as much of that as possible. He is outstanding at scanning the field and rescanning and extending plays. Better pass pro would benefit this team. And as elusive as he is, we all have to concede that the manner in which Wilson makes up for bad pass pro puts him at increased risk -- certainly more than other pocket passers who get rid of the ball early. Wilson is a player that must not get hurt. We simply cannot have the jailbreak pressure in his face with this kind of regularity. The odds of one of these resulting in a significant injury is not high, but the regularity of it is simply playing with fire.

In truth, Wilson's method for beating bad pass protection isn't that far removed from Ben Rothlisberger. Ben is a bigger QB and takes more punishment but the end result is, he extends plays and even on passes he completes, he takes contact. Wilson is doing the same thing even though he doesn't get hit as squarely or hard as Ben. But he's absorbing hits because like Ben, he needs to extend plays while under pressure instead of speeding up plays and not get hit at all.

Honestly, I think Seattle is on board with that organizationally speaking. Obviously they targetted O linemen early but didn't pull the trigger because they guys they wanted were gone. I concur with Kip that we were likely looking at Kyle Long, who incidentally has been one of the best players in last years draft at any position. The quality of this year's O line crop should be similarly good and deep. And we have a first round pick available to us.

I think the evidence we've seen suggests that Seattle does want to upgrade the line and like last year, are willing to use their first available selection to do it. When a team gets a franchise QB, you have to take measures to ensure he's here long term. With every hit and God forbid any significant injury incurred, he's going to lose some of that elusiveness over time. Just as Rothlisberger has become less and less of the ironman he was when he entered the league through repeated contact. The clock has already started on getting the best protection possible to keep Wilson as good as he currently is.

chris98251

Reaction score
I expect Bowie and Bailey to and Jean to be more involved and mainstays next year with key players having contracts up. If they gain a more pro form and stamina and technique with the experience this year and a whole OTA schedule they may let two vets walk on the line.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3vt53p54 said:
If they gain a more pro form and stamina and technique with the experience this year and a whole OTA schedule they may let two vets walk on the line.

Doesn't work that way. The vets are UFA after the Super Bowl. We would need to make that determination right now.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Gap Filler":do48z8ec said:
hawksfansinceday1":do48z8ec said:
Seriously, I'd love to see JS attack the o-line like he did the d-line this past offseason via free agency. Probably would be too expensive so likely not gonna happen but I can dream. It'll be interesting to see who's out there when the FA singing period begins.

Horrible idea

I wonder what Robert Gallery and Mike Wahle are up to?

I think the best strategy is to add OL in the draft and develop them, this year we seemed to load up in the 7th round, would love to see us look in the early/mid rounds.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
plyka":3qij62sh said:
Hawkspur":3qij62sh said:
I would say first half of the first round WR are the most bust proof draftees.

How easily you forget guys like Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Derius Heyward Bay... WR's are very hit and miss!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I am starting to think it should, but with Pete and John in charge you never know what they are gonna do.

Johnny

Reaction score
WE need Cornerbacks and Safeties..... I'm very disappointed in their play this year. :D

No in all seriousness, I think Oline should be a high priority in next years draft.... and WR is one spot we could use an upgrade also...

chris98251

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1srlen3i said:
chris98251":1srlen3i said:
If they gain a more pro form and stamina and technique with the experience this year and a whole OTA schedule they may let two vets walk on the line.

Doesn't work that way. The vets are UFA after the Super Bowl. We would need to make that determination right now.

Ok granted they may be FA's, but you will be able to see the progress made with the trial by fire also. typically the Gaurds and RT's on a team are not the first players signed as well during free agency. Our guys are not big names on the market either. I do know one thing, Brenno is our attitude on the line and we need that there, it has been lacking.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The way okung is hurt all the time I wouldn't mind drafting his replacement.

Do we really want to give okung the expensive second contract if he is often hurt?