Is there any question about our 2014 1st or 2nd round pick..

grizbob

Reaction score
chris98251":n6o87qeu said:
QB, Russell Wilson is to short and fumbled twice tonight, needs to be cut and replaced, is Stan Gelbaugh still available ?

If it's height you want go with Dan McGuire :lol:

Cartire

Reaction score
Gap Filler":158zfafc said:
MontanaHawk05":158zfafc said:
Why does McQuistan keep getting mentioned in the same breath as our 1st/2nd rounder next year? McQuistan isn't a starter. He's playing in relief of Russell Okung. If you want Okung to have better depth, fine, but you don't look for that with a 1st/2nd.

In fairness he was playing ahead of Carpenter. So to say he isn't a starter is questionable.

As a guard. His natural position. Where he's pretty good. LT and LG are way different positions. Wasn't even fair for McQuistan. Q

cajunhawk

Reaction score
I think it's time to start looking for anyone wanting to trade an O-Lineman for our first or second in 2014. Looking at the top prospects...the cupboard will be bare by the 30's. According to CBS Sports there are 5 guys who are a first round grade. That's with games to go and no combine or pro days. But...all those guys will be gone by the time we pick. Let's look around the league...

Hey...it's the Cleveland Browns...rebuilding team if I ever saw a rebuilding team. They have a massive tackle in Joe Thomas. Offer them a first in 2014 and a 2 or 3 in 2015. The guy is in his prime.

Just thinking outside the box a bit.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
whats wrong with Alvin baily? nothing.....I think they slid mcquistin over because he was already in the game, and the originally thought okung would be out only a few weeks. I think if they could go back they would attack it differently. Currently I think we have plently of o line depth.
Ofcourse we gotta keep looking.. remember our book ends are both out..

cajunhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2ouhqnze said:
QB, Russell Wilson is to short and fumbled twice tonight, needs to be cut and replaced, is Stan Gelbaugh still available ?

I remember on Tecmo Super Bowl...I always subbed in Stan Gelbaugh over McGuire. Championship!!!

Cartire

Reaction score
cajunhawk":2u8ebine said:
I think it's time to start looking for anyone wanting to trade an O-Lineman for our first or second in 2014. Looking at the top prospects...the cupboard will be bare by the 30's. According to CBS Sports there are 5 guys who are a first round grade. That's with games to go and no combine or pro days. But...all those guys will be gone by the time we pick. Let's look around the league...

Hey...it's the Cleveland Browns...rebuilding team if I ever saw a rebuilding team. They have a massive tackle in Joe Thomas. Offer them a first in 2014 and a 2 or 3 in 2015. The guy is in his prime.

Just thinking outside the box a bit.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the situation. Why are people trying to fix a no-line that consist of two backups? Are people really considering wasting a 1st or 2nd for backup depth? Please tell me it isn't so.

If you have starter quality depth, you can rest assured you will lose them later on. Not enough good o-lineman for every team. Good backups get poached all the time.

themunn

Reaction score
kearly":3idxjk3d said:
Problem is, OL get drafted earlier and earlier. Last year had the strongest OL draft class in ages, and you still had teams reaching for 2nd round prospects at OL in the top 20 picks.

Yes, but part of that was to do with the divide in O-Line talent in recent years, where players are either picked in the top 10 or around the 60 mark, with not much in between.
I think a lot of teams filled needs this year and there will be more talent available, albeit, it's likely to require a trade down from 32 to 40 something to not overdraft.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the draft or free agency will be the optimum route, but the quality of depth on the offensive line does need to be addressed.

rsm650

Reaction score
SeatownJay":25ankalm said:
I'm not sure if the draft or free agency will be the optimum route, but the quality of depth on the offensive line does need to be addressed.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if our current OL ranks dead last in the NFL right now. Most of the time the pass rushers already have their hands on Wilson before Wilson even touches the snapped ball. Okung and Giacomini need to come back asap.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
In regards to the FA route, I've seen quite a few analysts discussing the lack of OL depth across the league. I don't think we will be able to just pull a bennett/avril combo out of FA at all.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would like to see us get one of the top tight ends out there. We need a quality back up and we may have to replace Miller should we need the cap space. Plus there will definitely be a top quality tight end at the end of the first round.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think the team really likes Bowie and Bailey, and I'd be shocked to see them draft OL early.

I think they'll up the ante on offense with a WR and/or TE, and they'll probably draft a CB early as well.

C-Dub

Reaction score
rsm650":1wzpp17m said:
SeatownJay":1wzpp17m said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if our current OL ranks dead last in the NFL right now. Most of the time the pass rushers already have their hands on Wilson before Wilson even touches the snapped ball. Okung and Giacomini need to come back asap.
I remember seeing a thread the other day saying we were 31 out of 32. I was trying to figure out who could be worse when we had 2 or 3 guys sit out for almost every game.

The Cards were pretty bad. Are they the worst?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Depending what happens with Bennett in the offseason, a stud DT is another possibility for our early pick.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's going to be another year where a lot of offensive tackles go early. We could see five go in the top 15 picks. It's going to be difficult to fill that need without reaching -- assuming Seattle picks late in round one and two. I've not seen a guard yet worth a round one grade. I really like the center at Florida.

Also, remember that some guys are going to get cut this off season in order to resign Sherman, Thomas and probably Bennett. So the biggest need on this team might not be abundantly clear right now. And depth is not usually a first or second round pick. When our guys are healthy I think we have a good offensive line. And they might feel comfortable starting Bowie if they can't afford to resign Breno.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":2k9l65yo said:
Problem is, OL get drafted earlier and earlier. Last year had the strongest OL draft class in ages, and you still had teams reaching for 2nd round prospects at OL in the top 20 picks.

FWIW, Seattle did want to draft OL with their 2nd rounder this year, but the guy they had their eye on didn't even come close to making it (my guess: Kyle Long from Oregon who went to the Bears 20th overall). So sure, maybe they draft OL early. But it has to be the right guy, and the Seahawks are loathe to trade up, especially next year as they are without their 3rd rounder.

I don't see them drafting a guy early just because he's an OL. The last time they did that, they drafted Carpenter and Moffitt, and didn't seem terribly thrilled about the situation when it happened.

I totally agree. The other statement I'd like to make is "yes, there is a question about our 2014 1st and 2nd round picks". There's always questions about our picks; no one ever guesses which way we're going or who we're grabbing. Like Kearly said, I think they wanted to go OL but didn't see value at their pick, so they went with Christine Michael, who we've all seen is probably the future at the position and will add a homerun threat out of the backfield.

I'd like to see us draft a guy for sure. I'd also argue that our problem isn't OL depth, it's OL starting quality. We're good at LT and Center, but our Guards are NFL average at best, and our RT is above average. It's what makes us look so bad against good DLs like Carolina.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1id704o0 said:
Surely a #1 receiver will have to be a priority if they get a shot at one. Even if they only plan to use them sparingly in the first year, Wilson needs a big target to complement the smaller guys that I think, at this stage, are likely to stick around.

If Harvin stays healthy and contributes the rest of the year, drafting receivers will be a distant 2nd to drafting O-lineman as far as priority.

I agree that a replacement for Rice has to be found for next year, but IMO O-Line should be priority #1, 2 and 3. Wilson is one of the most durable QB's in the league, but if we want to keep it that way we better find a way to protect him more. He's getting hit and sacked WAY too much.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
The only position on the OL that needs immediate attention is LG. Okung is solid at LT, we need a LG, Max is solid at C, Sweezy is solid at RG, and Breno/Bowie at RT. Sweezy is already turning into a stud and he will just keep getting better (compare last years Arizona game to last night) and Bowie will continue to improve. Okung and Unger are already there.