Is there any question about our 2014 1st or 2nd round pick..

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
...Being an Offensive Lineman?

It looks like Oline depth is clearly the most glaring issue with this team. (There aren't many!) Carp is oft-injured and inconsistent when he's out there. Mcquistan gets beat often at the tackle spot by outside speed rushers.

Note: This is not really a complaining post. Hawks are 6-1 despite some OL struggles. Just think how dominating we'd be if we could add at least one more young STUD to the line.

Reaction score
I'm going to love seeing the responses from our more knowledgeable guys here on draft priorities.

For me...I look at what we have and think that a stud LG and RT would be helpful to say the least. But how are the prospects looking? Or is free agency the answer?

OP
OP
SeeHawkRun

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2knubyly said:
Re: "one more OL stud? You mean like Walter Jones?

No one's like Walter Jones. But I'd love to have someone who's doing his best Big Walt impression out there!

A player that dominates even 75% the amount that Jones did will have a long bright future in the NFL.

JKent82

Reaction score
I think maybe one of those picks could go O-line, sucks we don't have a third rounder.

One is gonna have to replace a high price FA heading out. Maybe a D lineman if one of Mebs or Red heads out, or replacement for Avril/Bennett if we lose one of them. Browner's eventual replacement, etc. We could use a balanced TE to take Millers spot eventually (ASJ pleaaaaseeee). We can't keep everybody so the key is to cycle in new cheap talent where we are gonna lose somebody.

I think the O-line will look a lot better when Okung gets back. It's tough when you don't get to scheme around having a Probowl LT. We still could use some talent infusion, it's frustrating since it seems like we have so much potential with the O-line but the guys aren't quite there.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
I'd say that we don't have a frickin clue, because we have no idea who we can keep or who we will lose( and we will.. to FA). What position will be a priority in the 14 draft. What i do know is that they will be some bad ass football players.

lets just say we'll see. :snack:

kearly

Reaction score
Problem is, OL get drafted earlier and earlier. Last year had the strongest OL draft class in ages, and you still had teams reaching for 2nd round prospects at OL in the top 20 picks.

FWIW, Seattle did want to draft OL with their 2nd rounder this year, but the guy they had their eye on didn't even come close to making it (my guess: Kyle Long from Oregon who went to the Bears 20th overall). So sure, maybe they draft OL early. But it has to be the right guy, and the Seahawks are loathe to trade up, especially next year as they are without their 3rd rounder.

I don't see them drafting a guy early just because he's an OL. The last time they did that, they drafted Carpenter and Moffitt, and didn't seem terribly thrilled about the situation when it happened.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SeeHawkRun":18aihe1q said:
Mcquistan gets beat often at the tackle spot by outside speed rushers.

Why does McQuistan keep getting mentioned in the same breath as our 1st/2nd rounder next year? McQuistan isn't a starter. He's playing in relief of Russell Okung. If you want Okung to have better depth, fine, but you don't look for that with a 1st/2nd.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind drafting one more pass rusher so we have stuff behind Clem, Avril, Bennett when they eventually move on. Other than that I see no team needs besides OL. Especially a LG and a RT

Tical21

Reaction score
I dunno, their track record of drafting linemen isn't exactly filled with homeruns. We still have a lot of a season left to judge Sweezy and Carp. Maybe they improve quickly. I'd still like a stud OLB. We may have holes at CB and WR we'll need to fill as well. I'm almost never against taking linemen, but a lot of things are going to play out between now and then.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":1k7x9d8i said:
Problem is, OL get drafted earlier and earlier.

Basically this. Good luck finding a stud tackle at pick #32 with the way drafts are trending these days.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Yeah it's goona be real hard to find very good oline talent so late.

Really need better gaurds and a right tackle. Center is inconsistent so far, last year Unger was a beast (all-pro) then this year he's just meh. Okung is always good when he's on the field, but he tends to miss time on the field.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Surely a #1 receiver will have to be a priority if they get a shot at one. Even if they only plan to use them sparingly in the first year, Wilson needs a big target to complement the smaller guys that I think, at this stage, are likely to stick around.

I'd absolutely support adding a stud O-lineman early if we can, but from what I noticed last night, it looked like the tackles were having the toughest time, and, in an ideal world, neither of them would have been out there. I could be completely mistaken, but I though Sweezy, Carpenter and Unger did OK.

Bowie had a rough night but looked promising in the previous 2 games. I'm waiting until the end of the season before deciding whether RT is a priority.

chris98251

Reaction score
QB, Russell Wilson is to short and fumbled twice tonight, needs to be cut and replaced, is Stan Gelbaugh still available ?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":1lq7o8bi said:
QB, Russell Wilson is to short and fumbled twice tonight, needs to be cut and replaced, is Stan Gelbaugh still available ?
Kelly Stouffer man, c'mon!
Seriously, I'd love to see JS attack the o-line like he did the d-line this past offseason via free agency. Probably would be too expensive so likely not gonna happen but I can dream. It'll be interesting to see who's out there when the FA singing period begins.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3n1yqpj8 said:
Seriously, I'd love to see JS attack the o-line like he did the d-line this past offseason via free agency. Probably would be too expensive so likely not gonna happen but I can dream. It'll be interesting to see who's out there when the FA singing period begins.

Horrible idea

Gap Filler

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":f7j90u8e said:
Yeah it's goona be real hard to find very good oline talent so late.

Really need better gaurds and a right tackle. Center is inconsistent so far, last year Unger was a beast (all-pro) then this year he's just meh. Okung is always good when he's on the field, but he tends to miss time on the field.

So you already have the offensive line all figured out? You don't like 4/5th's of our offensive line. And that other 1/5th is questionable. Glad you don't make the decisions.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2wqlvfh3 said:
Why does McQuistan keep getting mentioned in the same breath as our 1st/2nd rounder next year? McQuistan isn't a starter. He's playing in relief of Russell Okung. If you want Okung to have better depth, fine, but you don't look for that with a 1st/2nd.

In fairness he was playing ahead of Carpenter. So to say he isn't a starter is questionable.

plyka

Reaction score
kearly":sbz97ts2 said:
Problem is, OL get drafted earlier and earlier. Last year had the strongest OL draft class in ages, and you still had teams reaching for 2nd round prospects at OL in the top 20 picks.

FWIW, Seattle did want to draft OL with their 2nd rounder this year, but the guy they had their eye on didn't even come close to making it (my guess: Kyle Long from Oregon who went to the Bears 20th overall). So sure, maybe they draft OL early. But it has to be the right guy, and the Seahawks are loathe to trade up, especially next year as they are without their 3rd rounder.

I don't see them drafting a guy early just because he's an OL. The last time they did that, they drafted Carpenter and Moffitt, and didn't seem terribly thrilled about the situation when it happened.

Look OL is not a position you need to draft early in the get great players. In fact it's one of those positions where you can build late in the draft like we did with Bowie. I just think they need to put some effort in. If you find a player like okung then definitely use a top 10 pick on him, otherwise late round draft picks are sufficient to find talent.

plyka

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1h2zipfn said:
Surely a #1 receiver will have to be a priority if they get a shot at one. Even if they only plan to use them sparingly in the first year, Wilson needs a big target to complement the smaller guys that I think, at this stage, are likely to stick around.

I'd absolutely support adding a stud O-lineman early if we can, but from what I noticed last night, it looked like the tackles were having the toughest time, and, in an ideal world, neither of them would have been out there. I could be completely mistaken, but I though Sweezy, Carpenter and Unger did OK.

Bowie had a rough night but looked promising in the previous 2 games. I'm waiting until the end of the season before deciding whether RT is a priority.

Spot on! WR and QB ( our guy being the exception) are the two positions where high draft pick really means something, especially WR. It's a position where talent reigns supreme an it has a hard time hiding. D Thomas from the broncos played in a wishbone offense that passed twice all game long. Still was early first, as was fez Bryant and ah green and Julio jones, etc. these are all early first round talents and you see why, they are beasts who live up to draft position. I would say first half of the first round WR are the most bust proof draftees.

Latest posts