Thoughts after rewatching Dallas preseason game - 2nd half

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle opened the second half with the ball. They had most of their starting offense in the game, except with Webb replacing Sowell at LT. Webb wasn't tested much, but looked good when he played.

The Dallas defense kicked off the 2nd half with only 2 starters remaining in the game, DE Jack Crawford and LB Anthony Hitchens.

On the very first play, C-Mike ripped a 20 yard run around the right tackle. As much as I'd like to give Seattle credit, this was just epicly bad defense by Dallas, with the DE crashing into the tackle-guard gap and the linebackers forgetting to fill the vacated outside area. Jermaine Kearse had a nice block on a DB that might have helped add yards to the run.

Michael's next run after that was also a big gainer, this time a cutback to the left. It was a huge hole he ran through, but it again came down to bad play by the linebackers and Michael making an extremely fast diagnosis and cut.

The Dallas pass D wasn't much better, and by the end of the 3rd quarter Seattle had scored 17 more points. One of the TDs was aided by a roughing the kicker penalty, and Boykin had to mostly Tebow his way down the field to score. Anyway, there was a massive dropoff by Dallas' defense in the second half due to the starters being out.

Seattle's second string OL might be better at most spots than Seattle's 2015 starting OL was. Hunt is clearly better than Lewis. Evans is slow as hell but he has tremendous power and polish. Terry Poole has emerged as a viable backup tackle. Rees Odhiambo held his own this week. Will Pericak has looked competent.

I'm at the point now where I think Hunt is probably an NFL player. He needs to face 1st stringers before we'll know for sure, but he is starting to look very comfortable now against 2nd and 3rd string competition. He just plays polished, mistake free football. And while he's hardly an elite athlete, he's more effective on 2nd level blocking than you'd expect. In the run game he's competent. In the pass pro aspect he's been excellent, though hardly tested. He's clearly earned a roster spot as Seattle's #2 center, and for good reason.

George Fant is getting better each week and I think he has a chance to make this roster. He's far ahead of where Gilliam was in year 1, and his tools are pretty exciting. Fant weighs nearly 300 pounds while running the forty in 4.84 seconds. He has a Sparq rating that is 98.6th percentile. We're talking JR Sweezy type freakishness. I couldn't find his arm length but he appears to use arm length and arm strength to his advantage. Maybe it's just crappy competition making him look good this week, but he actually looked like a real offensive lineman in week 3 and not just an athlete.

CJ Procise had a positive debut for Seattle, looking like a RB version of Golden Tate. He doesn't have the explosive speed you'd have hoped for, but he runs like a human gyroscope. He doesn't break a lot of tackles, but he's really good at sliding or spinning off tackles to fall for the extra yardage. He's a little awkward as a runner and doesn't to know how to juke anybody, but his vision was better than I expected. He looked different to me in Thursday's game than he did at Notre Dame, and I think that's a good thing (less reliance on speed, more reliance on vision). It's disappointing that he never caught a pass in the open field, but he showed enough as an athlete and runner that he's a certain and deserving lock for the 53 man roster.

On defense...

Quinton Jefferson looks like a physical specimen. It's hard to believe he's only 290 pounds, he looks huge. And he's quick too, that first step of his looks elite at times. Sometimes players look different in the NFL than they did in college and Jefferson seems to be one of those guys. In college he reminded me of Rocky Bernard, finesse and super quick. So far in the NFL, he feels more like Cory Redding, big and quick, but struggles a bit to finish with a sack. Jefferson is worth giving reps at 3-tech to see if he develops into an ace interior pass rusher, but if all else fails I think he'll have a very solid NFL career at 5-tech or as a 3-4 DE, just like Redding did.

I got Simon and Tye Smith mixed up on my initial review. Smith had a busted coverage that allowed an easy reception for significant yardage. It seemed like he was getting picked on a bit, and he doesn't look to be at his best in zone or when giving a cushion. I like him in straight up press-bail coverage though. I'm a little disappointed in Smith that he seems to have taken a step back from what he showed as a rookie. And he just seems undersized to the naked eye. Simon too has taken a step back. And Browner should never be trusted at CB again. Burley is a bit of a nondescript backup. I'm a bit nervous about our depth at CB right now.

Brock Coyle took advantage of the lower tier competition and had an active game.

Seattle did an awful lot of corner blitzes in this game, particularly with the backups. Those blitzes worked to perfection and that's great, but if you are calling 5+ corner blitzes in a single game it is more or less an admission that the typical pass rush methods weren't quite what you were hoping for.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Great write up.

Though I must kind of disagree with the corner blitz thing. I like it. You cannot do it all of the time of course, but
It gives the opposing QB something else to worry about. Prescott pretty much crapped himself on Lane's CB blitz.
I would mind blitzing Kam on occasion in select spots as well.

If you were a fan of the 80's Hawks, they did this quite a bit and were successful at it. I'm not sure I'd view it as weakness, but then again I'm a fan of aggressive play calling on both sides of the ball generally speaking. YMMV of course. :)

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":9ijq9kxq said:
Great write up.

Though I must kind of disagree with the corner blitz thing. I like it. You cannot do it all of the time of course, but
It gives the opposing QB something else to worry about. Prescott pretty much crapped himself on Lane's CB blitz.

If you were a fan of the 80's Hawks, they did this quite a bit and were successful at it. I'm not sure I'd view it as weakness, but then again I'm a fan of aggressive play calling on both sides of the ball generally speaking. YMMV of course. :)

When one has Kenny Easley it's like sending a Linebacker in that era, the oh shit moment the QB has when he see's 45 out of the corner of his eye is a Equipment Managers call on the red phone. Clean up on Number ( insert number) tidy Whities soiled.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I can't say it enough, thank you Kearly for your observations and taking the time to put fingertips to keyboard.

mrt144

Reaction score
Is admitting our pass rush is kinda boo boo crew a bad thing at this point?

kf3339

Reaction score
Loved the comments about Jefferson! I agree he could well be our 3tech of the future and it may be before the end of this season. He wants it if you ask me. That is a great thing!

Also agree about Hunt. He deserves the backup center spot right now. I don't think Lewis will be getting a ton of offers from the market so there is a good chance he is still a free agent if we needed him later in the season. But I don't think that would be the case.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Great write up. There are some points that I disagree with or feel may have just seemed to come off differently then what you meant idk. More specifically, Cmikes runs were only good because of poor dallas defense. Or Boykins "tebowing" it down the field. If what Boykin did is called tebowing, same goes for russ right?

I feel Cmike regardless of Defense (its the NFL plain and simple) continued to show that he has become a changed man. And for Bokyin i feel his skillset what we've seen is the closest match we can have for russell and will continue to get better as learns from Russ.

But once again stilla great write up. I enjoy reading them regardless. And thank you for your time on them. :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

Jville

Reaction score
Joey Hunt put on a blocking clinic. He was remarkably efficient with his economy of motion. He demonstrated the repeat ability of a blocking machine that instills trust and confidence. A remarkable outing as a rookie lineman. The Dallas game explained why John and Tom drafted Joey Hunt.

George Fant must be really smart in addition to really athletic. His weekly progress stands out. I'm looking forward to the Oakland game. I would think George Fant will draw meaningful snaps.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
JPatera76":dziqlxz6 said:
Cmikes runs were only good because of poor dallas defense. Or Boykins "tebowing" it down the field. If what Boykin did is called tebowing, same goes for russ right?

On those specific runs it was more a case of Dallas' run D beating themselves than Seattle's Rush O beating them. C-Mike made those mistakes hurt a little extra with his speed and decisiveness. He's had a great preseason. Most of the other Seattle RBs killed that run D in the second half as well. The Cowboys second and third string back seven was a joke.

JPatera76":dziqlxz6 said:
Or Boykins "tebowing" it down the field. If what Boykin did is called tebowing, same goes for russ right?

I like what I've seen from Boykin so far. But he's really struggled to keep the offense on schedule. That's not an issue for Russ, obviously.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1lml3kgi said:
Sports Hernia":1lml3kgi said:
Great write up.

When one has Kenny Easley it's like sending a Linebacker in that era, the oh shit moment the QB has when he see's 45 out of the corner of his eye is a Equipment Managers call on the red phone. Clean up on Number ( insert number) tidy Whities soiled.

I remember when Elway had that OMG! look on two consecutive plays, and the announcer asking if there wasn't two players wearing the #45 :lol: , but yeah, I too want to see Pete use plays like that (sparingly), but enough to keep opposing QB's from getting too comfortable on any given play.
Just another tool in the toolkit...I'm talkin' 'bout the strategy, not 'bout me :p

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":29xhtbk3 said:
JPatera76":29xhtbk3 said:
Cmikes runs were only good because of poor dallas defense. Or Boykins "tebowing" it down the field. If what Boykin did is called tebowing, same goes for russ right?

On those specific runs it was more a case of Dallas' run D beating themselves than Seattle's Rush O beating them. C-Mike made those mistakes hurt a little extra with his speed and decisiveness. He's had a great preseason. Most of the other Seattle RBs killed that run D in the second half as well. The Cowboys second and third string back seven was a joke.

JPatera76":29xhtbk3 said:
Or Boykins "tebowing" it down the field. If what Boykin did is called tebowing, same goes for russ right?

I like what I've seen from Boykin so far. But he's really struggled to keep the offense on schedule. That's not an issue for Russ, obviously.

Really hard to put a whole bunch of stock in Boykin's success at running the #1 Offense against the opposing #1 Defenses, because he hasn't had that opportunity, but I still think he's more mobile, and a better option than Tarvaris Jackson.
But then again, Cable had designed the #1 Offense around Lynch, & Wilson, and again re-tweaked it to fit Rawls/Michael and Wilson.
It's not only Wilson's familiarity, and interaction with his Receivers (continuity) that Boykin lacks, he lacks time with Cable & Bevell also.
I am encouraged with Hunt's play also, but then again, he hasn't had to face off against #1 Defensive turbochargers yet either. :mrgreen:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3i1lg4t4 said:
Great write up.

I agree...I want us to be as aggressive as possible every game, and that includes sending a corner or safety blitz a few times a game. Keep the QB wondering and on eggshells at every snap. I hope we see more of these this year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Thanks kearly. I'm sure these are nice for the people who watch the games, but these kind of write-ups are borderline vital for those of us who don't!

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3inyocrb said:
Really hard to put a whole bunch of stock in Boykin's success at running the #1 Offense against the opposing #1 Defenses, because he hasn't had that opportunity, but I still think he's more mobile, and a better option than Tarvaris Jackson.
But then again, Cable had designed the #1 Offense around Lynch, & Wilson, and again re-tweaked it to fit Rawls/Michael and Wilson.
It's not only Wilson's familiarity, and interaction with his Receivers (continuity) that Boykin lacks, he lacks time with Cable & Bevell also.
I am encouraged with Hunt's play also, but then again, he hasn't had to face off against #1 Defensive turbochargers yet either. :mrgreen:

Wilson kept the offense on schedule as a 2nd stringer in 2012. BJ Daniels looked fantastic when he played at QB in 2015. Boykin has these little clues that tell you he could be Tyrod Taylor 2.0, that's why I like him. But in terms of his actual performance through three games, he's lived and died by the clutch play, not by picking defenses apart.

There's just a Tebow type quality to Boykin right now, he's more of a playmaker than a QB at this stage. Granted, even Tim Tebow would probably be a better backup QB than most around the league, he's just gone because he's every GM's worst nightmare from a media and fanbase perspective.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
A worthy projection for Quinton Jefferson is Jason Jones. They have pretty much the exact same build and quickness. As long as you aren't relying on him to save your pass rush, you'll like what he brings as a player.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2wiu5fwe said:
Sports Hernia":2wiu5fwe said:
Great write up.

I called that a thing of beauty. :2thumbs:

bigDhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3i96jdhj said:
...I'm at the point now where I think Hunt is probably an NFL player. He needs to face 1st stringers before we'll know for sure, but he is starting to look very comfortable now against 2nd and 3rd string competition. He just plays polished, mistake free football. And while he's hardly an elite athlete, he's more effective on 2nd level blocking than you'd expect. In the run game he's competent. In the pass pro aspect he's been excellent, though hardly tested. He's clearly earned a roster spot as Seattle's #2 center, and for good reason...

I'm ready to say Hunt will be a better center than Britt. Everyone is raving about how well Britt has taken to the center conversion, but most of that is "Look how big our interior OL is now with Britt! Yay big interior OL!" But what good has Britt's size done him so far in his career? He has been a failure at two prior positions by even the low standards of our OL in spite of his size. Britt's ability to make line calls will be what determines his success at center. When we get to the regular season when defenses are scheming and stunting for real, I strongly suspect he will be exposed as a failure in this area as well and his size won't save him.

Hunt I fancy as the second coming of Mark Stepnoski. On a Cowboys OL in the 90's that was touted as one of the biggest and nastiest ever while winning multiple Super Bowls, Step tipped the scales at a whopping 260 pounds. He was scouted out of college as a brilliant tactician and everything you wanted in a center, except he was too small to play in the NFL. The Cowboys rolled the dice on him as a mid-round pick, and being the smallest man by far on an otherwise huge OL didn't hurt him or his fellow linemen as he went on to be part of two championship teams. He was the tactical mastermind that made that huge OL the force that it was, proving size is not as relevant to success at center.

I see a lot of Stepnoski in Hunt. We already have plenty of size everywhere else on the OL. What we are lacking is a high football IQ player at center as a force multiplier for the rest of our size. That's not something coaches can do from the sideline play by play. We need a football genius on the field and Russell - bless his heart for everything else he does so amazingly well - is not that and I don't think ever will be. I see a potential football genius in Hunt. It's largely a gut feeling. I could be wrong of course. But I won't by shocked if Britt falters again and gives Hunt the opportunity to prove me right.