Is the sun rising or setting on the Seahawks?

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
That Armchair website is just a general sports site, a bit like Bleacher Report only not as good, they write stuff about every team. For the casual fan, it adds something, for diehard fans, maybe not. I just thought it was entertaining and I liked the writing style.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tusc2000":hyyrikb7 said:
That Armchair website is just a general sports site, a bit like Bleacher Report only not as good, they write stuff about every team. For the casual fan, it adds something, for diehard fans, maybe not. I just thought it was entertaining and I liked the writing style.

Don't apologize, everyone has different taste and writers have different understandings, we have very high standards when it comes to this stuff, have and some excellent writers here and some that are professionals that came from here, we have a certain level of being perturbed when it comes to knowledge and details, you don't have it concerning our team then why did you write it? Do your homework and find out the why and background before making a assumption and writing a piece is what most ask.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I think this season will be telling. Frankly I think we are in good shape because we have Russ, but I worry that we won't be able to protect him. I also worry about our Offensive Coordinator, but that's a different topic.

Personnel-wise, we'll have to see how the latest personnel decisions play out. I feel good about the weapons we have on offense, we just need a solid O-Line and some reasonable playcalling. Both of those things could come together this year.

On Defense, we are aging but the FO seems committed to replenishing the talent. I fully believe we would have been ranked #1 in defense if we hadn't lost Earl. And, frankly, there were times when the pass rush looked anemic. But we continue to invest in the D-Line (and this kid Malik McDowell looks amazing) and I like the rookie CB we picked (Shaquille Griffin) and it's just a matter of seeing how things play out this year.

I feel we are teetering on the edge of continuing to climb or taking a downturn based largely on the decisions that were made in this offseason.

Will the O-Line be able to protect Russ? Will the D-Line be able to generate a pass rush? Will our new corners be able to play at a high level?

If the answer to these questions is yes, I believe we will continue to be an elite team. My primary worry is the O-Line. If they don't pull it together, we'll be in slugfests the whole season, with the potential that we lose games to teams like Tampa Bay, who I think we are vastly superior to but it won't show if we can't score.

I was at a party recently and one of my friends was making the case that Russ Wilson could not be successful as a pocket passer. I completely disagree with this. If we give Russ time, I think he can sit back in the pocket and pick defenses apart as well as anyone.

It's why I was disappointed that we passed on Forrest Lamp. If we were set on the OL, I would be fully behind the McDowell pick, cause the kid looks like a one man wrecking crew. But if I have to go through another season of seeing the OLine getting it's butt kicked...

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o9p23wz said:
scutterhawk":1o9p23wz said:
More "Debbie Downer" horseshit.
If they'd been putting up 8 & 8 or 7 & 9 Seasons in the last 4 Years, this kind of bummer sniveling would have some merit, but :pukeface: :pukeface:

I didn't read it as a Debbie Downer article, there is some fair criticism of where we're at with not only the team, but how we're drafting.

But I didn't read anything new, the opinion of Pete having a head start on scouting coming out of USC giving him an advantage those first couple of drafts has been stated many times.........and is probably a pretty fair opinion.

If I was to criticize Pete and John, it's not our draft picks, it's their overall inability to change offensive and defensive philosophies. The NFL is an ever changing and evolving game with teams learning your tendencies and weaknesses.......so what worked in 2012-2013 doesn't necessarily work in 2016 and 2017.

THAT'S what needs to change IMO, not continuing to play the same schemes hoping to regain the same dominance.

Well said. Like getting a new car. Do I trade my 2012 Honda Civic in for a 2017 Civic? Do I get a 2017 Accord instead? Keep the maker because it is proven to have quality but need a newer version or slightly different model because everyone else's car is getting just as good or better (assuming, for the sake of the metaphor, that it is important that someone else has a better car).

toffee

Reaction score
sdog1981":djzxtaro said:
No. In the NFL if you have an elite to good QB your team can win 10-12 games a year and compete every season. So until Russ stops playing this team will be good.

As for the article: Yes the team has not drafted very well since 2014 but come to me in February 2018 and we will know about this 2017 draft.

Andrew Luck ain't bad, his team was 8-8 for the last two seasons.

sdog1981

Reaction score
toffee":3vpauac9 said:
sdog1981":3vpauac9 said:
No. In the NFL if you have an elite to good QB your team can win 10-12 games a year and compete every season. So until Russ stops playing this team will be good.

As for the article: Yes the team has not drafted very well since 2014 but come to me in February 2018 and we will know about this 2017 draft.

Andrew Luck ain't bad, his team was 8-8 for the last two seasons.

He has also missed half a season due to injury.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think our OL is going to suck again, though slightly less than last year, and we're going to go on to win 12 games anyway.

And after five or six more years of it, people will finally start questioning their preconceived notions over whether the offensive line is really that important on an offense with a mobile QB who can get rid of the ball quickly.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3j7wo7ng said:
mobile QB who can get rid of the ball quickly.

That is one thing we have not seen since the end of the 2015 season. I think Wilson can make that Steve Young transition to a mobile quick release QB who leads a ruthlessly efficient offense.

Steve2222

Reaction score
sdog1981":sw0wcxz8 said:

I'm not buying the team not drafting well since 2014. You can throw Jimmy Graham as our first round pick in 2015. The 2015 draft netted us:

Jimmy Graham
Tyler Lockett
Frank Clark
Thomas Rawls (undrafted)

The jury is definitely still out on Ifedi, Reed, and Prosise. Ifedi has one year more experience now. Reed showed promise last year. And Prosise, there's no doubt he is a playmaker. Health will be his biggest question mark going forward.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pmedic920":3h4ai7x4 said:
I'm not clicking.

But here's my opinion......
9ea39256b77e3d45cee5b3dd4a7ea022.jpg

Sarc :{)

I did not know you knew origami....that is pretty good.

:sarcasm_off: :stirthepot: :irishdrinkers:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":5sqd3fay said:
Without even clicking on the link I'll answer the question:

Until we actually fail to play 18 games in a season, it's noon.

THIS!!!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Could break either way as already noted last season.

It will be one more great run for Pete, or the end of the Carroll era and serious rebuilding mode come next off-season.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The sun did rise and set already once in the Wilson era. Now it's time to see if we are ready for a new dawn or will this be the final rays of the old sun.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This question is too black and white for me.

Rise or setting implies the only two acceptable directions we can go is win the SB, or flame out again meaning a decline.

That's not how the NFL and good organizations work. It's not 3-4 SB's in a row, then back to 7-9 for the next 30 years. Ask Pat's fans between 2006 and 2015 and they'd tell you the sun was setting on their dominance.

So my answer is the sun rose in 2012, and it continues to shine bright until the PA/RW/PC/JS era is over. If that's next year or 10 years from now. Because as long as we have this core of owner/GM/coach and QB we will be in the mix every year.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11bjfo9x said:
This question is too black and white for me.

Rise or setting implies the only two acceptable directions we can go is win the SB, or flame out again meaning a decline.

That's not how the NFL and good organizations work. It's not 3-4 SB's in a row, then back to 7-9 for the next 30 years. Ask Pat's fans between 2006 and 2015 and they'd tell you the sun was setting on their dominance.

So my answer is the sun rose in 2012, and it continues to shine bright until the PA/RW/PC/JS era is over. If that's next year or 10 years from now. Because as long as we have this core of owner/GM/coach and QB we will be in the mix every year.

I completely agree. It's a fun question, but I don't know that it's fully applicable to our franchise (or any perennial contender).

Considering the roster, RW's contract/age, as well as Pete's contract/age; I'd say the sun is currently at it's highest point in the sky. It can get hotter or it can get cooler from here, but the potential for continuing runs for another SB is currently the highest it's been since our original "rising" between '12-'13, IMO.

sdog1981

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3or6vpe7 said:
Considering the roster, RW's contract/age, as well as Pete's contract/age; I'd say the sun is currently at it's highest point in the sky. It can get hotter or it can get cooler from here, but the potential for continuing runs for another SB is currently the highest it's been since our original "rising" between '12-'13, IMO.

Wilson will be here well into the 2020's and if he plays 20 seasons he will lead this team into the 2030's (first of all its crazy to think about the 2030's in a very real way, to begin with) Pete I would be surprised if he was with the team past the 2020 season. The sun is very much high in the sky for this Seahawks team.

toffee

Reaction score
Sun was just starting to set, unless Pete can welcome in a group of productive youngsters.

Our stars on defense are not old but will be a year older, this draft, Pete apparently felt the need to draft defense side.

Our offense has not been productive on consistent basis for two seasons now ... the youth movement on offense certainly hasn't been working. When they were good, they weren't dominant, when they were bad, they were really really bad.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":259m4lmu said:
Sun was just starting to set, unless Pete can welcome in a group of productive youngsters.

Our stars on defense are not old but will be a year older, this draft, Pete apparently felt the need to draft defense side.

Our offense has not been productive on consistent basis for two seasons now ... the youth movement on offense certainly hasn't been working. When they were good, they weren't dominant, when they were bad, they were really really bad.

Good points Toffee. The Seahawks have been 10+ in wins each year since 2012. That's not exactly a sign of the sun setting. If they start becoming a .500 or less team, then the sun has set. As long as they are winning 10+ games and making the playoffs, the sun is very much shining. However, I would like to see some Seahawk personnel/staff changed and believe that the sun would shine brighter in Seahawkville without them. Still they are at least a 10+ win team and a playoff team.

Latest posts