Is Schotty an upgrade over Bevell

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":4rymvalq said:
Bevells team is playing against the packers right now and winning....

And continually finding a way to lose......

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Should this even be a question? Bevell spent far too long setting up plays. He'd run the offense into the ground just so he could set up one play later in the game. He was like a bad chess player. He also had the tendency to run nonsensical plays, or plays that just didn't fit the situation. Another thing he did was use very questionable personnel for plays and packages he wanted to run.

A good example of this was the infamous Super Bowl play. Not only was it the only play we ran in that package on the goalline, BUT we compounded the idiotic nature of that play with who we called on to execute it. We had our worst route runner, Ricardo Lockett run a route that required precision and timing. What happened? He hesitated on his route giving Butler and Browner just enough time to intercept it. The play also hinged on Seattle being able to get a pick on BRANDON BROWNER, a guy who made a living blowing up plays like this. This play was a fine example of Bevell's tendencies. He was always pulling this crap. To make things worse he refused to take blame and threw Lockette under the bus. I think at that moment Pete should have fired Bevell. I think there was a lot of animosity directed towards Bevell for that play and how he handled it. I think it definitely contributed towards locker room fragmentation and break down. Bevell also doesn't have a clue how to use TEs. He pounded a square peg into a round hole with Graham, and turned Miller, previously one of the better receiving TEs into a non factor in the passing game.

I think Schottenheimer isn't that great of a coordinator. I would call him league average to slightly below league average with actual play calls. His issue is that he lives and dies by the game plan. If things go wrong it takes him a long time to change gears. I think he does it because he's a rank and file guy. He wants to be a good soldier and follow his orders. Schottenheimer strikes me as a guy that would be better as a head coach than coordinator. I'd be interested to see what he does if he had the freedom. Schottenheimer is also a guy that by all accounts demands respect, and gets respect from his players. He runs a tight ship, and under Schottenheimer our offense has looked a lot more disciplined.

What Schottenheimers GREATEST asset is though is his Quarterback tutelage. Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson all were all coached under Brian Schottenheimer. Brees in particular came out and said that Schottenheimer was really the one that took his play to the next level. Andrew Luck had his best years under Brian Schottenheimer's care, and Russell Wilson looks like a whole new Quarterback. Immediately when he came in he sat Russell down and said he needed to work on his footwork, and fine tuning of his mechanics. They worked day in and day out to hone his skills. The result was a more consistent Wilson that now looks a bit like Drew Brees moving around in the pocket. Even his habits of changed. If nobody is open he'll just take off and run up the middle of the field if his time is getting short. He has an internal clock that he didn't have before. He knows when players are closing in on him. I think all of this is Schottenheimer's doing. He took Wilson's Quarterback play to the next level. I don't think this version of Wilson would have ever been realized under most offensive coordinators or QB coaches. Schottenheimer is the QB whisperer.

xray

Reaction score
Bevell and Cable helped coach the Hawks to many winning seasons...play-offs and consecutive Super Bowls . It's obviously clear to the coaching " experts " in here that Bevell and Cable were trash . We saw Shitty shine last year in the wild card game...he was awesome wasn't he ?

lobohawk

Reaction score
Hard to clearly judge Bevell when you know Pete and Cable had their hands in the playcalling and play building.

Smellyman

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":16ugxmft said:
If Cable was ruining Bevell's offense and Bevell doesn't know or do anything about that, that's still partly on Bevell.

Cable was the Assistant Head Coach, offensive line coach and Run Game Coordinator and he had some horrific decisions in drafting Olineman. Pete's love of Cable really hampered Bevell. Bevell was the third cog in that trifecta.

We will never know since Bevell didn't coach with Solari.

In reality Schotty and Bevell are probably both average to below average.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":3d7rqkp1 said:
In reality Schotty and Bevell are probably both average to below average.

This for me.

I don't see any creativity with playcalling with either coordinator. Simple schemes, route trees, inside zone run schemes, etc. with not a lot of deception and motion.

So other than Bevell getting hamstrung with having to work with Cable, I honestly don't see much of a difference in what we're doing........which means what we all have known it means, both coordinators were and still are yes men that call games how Pete wants them called, and aren't allowed a lot of freedom.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think he's a slightly better OC than Bevell, especially in the red zone and utilization of RB/TE, but his ability to fix Russell's pocket presence and footwork is worth it. He manipulates the pocket without having to roll out/backwards now. These would lead to some huge circus Russell plays but also some really bad drive killing sacks. The Rams were the first team to show a blueprint how to stop him, other defenses definitely picked up on it.

There still are some quarters where he sticks with what isn't working for too long but I think the sum game by game basis is improved. Really don't have any 3-4 drive droughts anymore and this offense can put up some serious points when needed.

The biggest change IMO is Pete finally admitting he's trusting Russell with the offense and that they've finally taken the training wheels off. It probably should have happened a few years ago but Pete claims it's been deliberate to get Russell to where he is today. Whatever the case, it looks like we've got an MVP caliber QB hitting his prime in an offense he is very comfortable with. I don't see Pete moving on from Schotty unless Russell gets him some HC offers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":10i8s8dx said:
The biggest change IMO is Pete finally admitting he's trusting Russell with the offense and that they've finally taken the training wheels off. It probably should have happened a few years ago but Pete claims it's been deliberate to get Russell to where he is today. Whatever the case, it looks like we've got an MVP caliber QB hitting his prime in an offense he is very comfortable with. I don't see Pete moving on from Schotty unless Russell gets him some HC offers.

IMO it's 80% Russell and now having 2-3 big bodied receivers (well now two without Dissly) as red zone targets, and not as much Schotty's red zone playcalling.........as evident by a lot of our red zone passing TD's are off script.

But good problem to have, how many years did we complain about our terrible red zone offense? I mean, it's why Pete and John traded for Jimmy.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bevell was 1 for 6 in terms of TDs in the red zone last night and Cable isn't in Detroit holding him back. Red Zone scoring has always been a problem for his offenses. That alone makes Schotty better because as mentioned the Hawks score TDs in close now.

Fade

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2uz6bosn said:
Bevell was 1 for 6 in terms of TDs in the red zone last night and Cable isn't in Detroit holding him back. Red Zone scoring has always been a problem for his offenses. That alone makes Schotty better because as mentioned the Hawks score TDs in close now.

I banged that drum for years on here. The kool-aid boys weren't having it though. Bevell struggles to call effective, logical plays once he gets into field goal range. I also understand how cliche and cringe it is for NFL fan to callout his team's OC, and wanting him fired. He is the only one in my 30+ year history of following this team I called for the OC's head. I wasn't even mad at Greg Knapp who wasn't very good, but I knew the team's issues were greater than Greg flippin' Knapp at the time.

Watching last night's game. I was having flashbacks the whole night. Telling the rest of the fam in the room with me watching the game, that the Lions were going to lose because they stalled out in the redzone too many times. You just can't do that and be a great team. And for that Bevell sucks.

Schotty is a massive upgrade over Bevell. The team right now probably loses to Pittsburgh, the Rams, & Cleveland, if Bevell was still the OC. Being 5-1 is much better than being 2-4, maybe 3-3, under Bevell.

And as I noted in previous threads on this discussion. Schotty has done wonders for RW's mechanics to boot.

irfuben32

Reaction score
[tweet][/tweet]
xray":3jujatl4 said:
Bevell and Cable helped coach the Hawks to many winning seasons...play-offs and consecutive Super Bowls . It's obviously clear to the coaching " experts " in here that Bevell and Cable were trash . We saw Shitty shine last year in the wild card game...he was awesome wasn't he ?

They were carried by Lynch and one of the greatest defenses to ever play the game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":3lzv9b6c said:
hawksfansinceday1":3lzv9b6c said:

I banged that drum for years on here. The kool-aid boys weren't having it though. Bevell struggles to call effective, logical plays once he gets into field goal range. I also understand how cliche and cringe it is for NFL fan to callout his team's OC, and wanting him fired. He is the only one in my 30+ year history of following this team I called for the OC's head. I wasn't even mad at Greg Knapp who wasn't very good, but I knew the team's issues were greater than Greg flippin' Knapp at the time.

Watching last night's game. I was having flashbacks the whole night. Telling the rest of the fam in the room with me watching the game, that the Lions were going to lose because they stalled out in the redzone too many times. You just can't do that and be a great team. And for that Bevell sucks.

Schotty is a massive upgrade over Bevell. The team right now probably loses to Pittsburgh, the Rams, & Cleveland, if Bevell was still the OC. Being 5-1 is much better than being 2-4, maybe 3-3, under Bevell.

And as I noted in previous threads on this discussion. Schotty has done wonders for RW's mechanics to boot.
Bingo. Very well stated.

OP
OP
Boycie

Boycie

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3c6v76pn said:
Fade":3c6v76pn said:
hawksfansinceday1":3c6v76pn said:

Bingo. Very well stated.

Hey Sportshernia, you ever have a sports hernia?

Fade

Reaction score
irfuben32":2lqksfjr said:
[tweet][/tweet]
xray":2lqksfjr said:

They were carried by Lynch and one of the greatest defenses to ever play the game.

And a HoF QB that is like a videogame cheat code. That helps too. Unfortunately the greatness that surrounded Cable & Bevell is what kept them employed for so long. They managed to win enough games to keep those jokers employed. They didn't get fired until they finally missed the playoffs.

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm just glad I don't have to watch a bubble screen on every drive. Didn't watch the Lions game, but I can only imagine they ran more than 1

Latest posts