Is Russell Wilson regressing?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hoxrox":1wbihc4p said:
Also someone mentioned after the game that the offense is becoming predictable. Would tend to agree with this. Maybe the injuries are limiting the play book

I'd say the protection problems are limiting the playbook. It's hard to call seven step drop deep patterns when Russell's is off and running because of protection breakdowns from every angle after seemingly every snap.

jacksonfan

Reaction score
My thing with him, is only throws to wide open guys, not alot of thread the needle professional throws, his ball kind of sails and
isnt a hard throw, I think he is easy for defenses to figure out

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, those jump balls to Tate/Baldwin are wide open...
http://youtu.be/QN8z_V9Ek3Y?t=55s

Does Jackson hold the clipboard in his left or right hand? How strong is his grip?
iphone4_arcade_game_test_your_grip_iphone_5_cover-rd01aa0f02e264ba980a237bb1351bca4_80cs8_8byvr_512.jpg

hawksman53

Reaction score
Lets look at this another way. He is 8 and 2 his last 10 games. Regression....I think not. What is Peyton Mannings record the last 10 games?? Tom Bradys'.....?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He is a second year QB.

He is going to get better and is phenomenal at keeping a play alive with his legs, or just scrambling for a first.

But he isn't consistent. Primarily because he is still learning and not yet the QB he can be.

Last year, Wilson made some incredibly strides at the end of the year. He did things seasoned vets can barely do. It became reasonable to take the success of last year and project further gains.

In hindsight, the end of last year might have been the outlier, not the beginning. In reality, the actual area he has progressed to is probably somewhere between the beginning of last year and how he performed at the end. So even with improvement he was probably not going to match the amazing ability he flashed in the tail end of the year. Not that he cannot get better and perform like that someday.

It is probably reasonable to also point out that we did shatter a few teams and that his QB scores probably jumped without the pressure of a strong opponent. Just as it is reasonable to assume that losing 1/2 his line for half this season probably hurt his effectiveness this year .

But it just is not reasonable to expect a 2nd year QB to carry a team. Maybe Carroll instinctively knows that, hence the run first mentality, but some of the crazy projections by the fans mean they are making a damned good team into a disappointment but only because of expectations that the 85 Bears could not even meet.

Wilson is going to get better. The passing game has to improve, but I don't know if it makes sense to demand that we have to be the 1st or 2nd best team in the league or we somehow failed. I don't know if we are as good as a Denver or a New Orleans right now. I do know we can get better - but I think Wilson has shown enough that I expect that from him in a few years.

(I think the nervousness stems from the fact that we all know that whatever team we field in a few years will probably be missing a lot of the pieces we have now so we feel an urgency that we have to win everything now.)

NINEster

Reaction score
Wilson, Griffin, Kaepernick.....all looking not quite unstoppable in 2013 compared to 2012. Coincidence??

Meanwhile, Luck with his "terrible stats" last year is playing the best with perhaps only the Redskins a worse team than the Colts at this point in time (and definitely not last year).

Hard to beat the sophomore slump. Given the great starts these QBs had last year, it seemed like that was an outdated concept, but perhaps it's an undeniable truth.

Put on game tape of '08, '09 Aaron Rodgers and tell me if you see best QB in the league talent. I doubt you will.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
TJH":2gr32wkt said:
MontanaHawk05":2gr32wkt said:
More and more I'm noticing that Wilson is running before he's even pressured.

This. The people that are blaming everything on the line didn't watch the game very closely today. Oline was actually pretty decent and Wilson was spooked half the time.

I have to agree with this. He's missing open receivers much more frequently this year as well.

Goldrush

Reaction score
SeatownJay":128ejd0j said:
Regression. Sophomore slump. Defenses figuring him out. I've heard these mentioned more than once regarding Russell Wilson. Is it true? Well, let's look at some numbers from the last five games he played last season and the first five games of this season.

83/125, 66.4%, 1198 yds (239.6/gm), 9 TDs (7.2%), 2 Ints (1.6%), 4-1 record

74/127, 58.3%, 997 yards (199.4/gm), 8 TDs (6.3%), 4 Ints (3.1%), 4-1 record

In both cases he played 2 home games and 3 road games. Even played them in the same order, R, H, H, R, R, and in both cases the team won the first four and lost the fifth. 2012's opponents were a bit better, with a combined winning percentage of .593 compared to .417 for 2013's opponents.

So, against arguably inferior opponents Russell is completing 8% fewer of his passes for 40 fewer yards per game and he's throwing interceptions at twice the rate. Why? Is it his ability? The offensive line? The playcalling? The receivers?

Personally I think it's a combination of factors and I trust in Pete Carroll, Darrell Bevell, and, most importantly, Russell Wilson to sort this out and get back to playing better and more consistently in the passing game. What say you?

Yes people are adjusting accordingly, same for Kaepernick.. prior to that Newton, etc.

It doesnt mean anything ultimately though. They all have the ability to adjust their games accordingly and be quality Qbs for a long time.

keasley45

Reaction score
hedgehawk":1n9x4364 said:
TJH":1n9x4364 said:
MontanaHawk05":1n9x4364 said:

This. The people that are blaming everything on the line didn't watch the game very closely today. Oline was actually pretty decent and Wilson was spooked half the time.

I have to agree with this. He's missing open receivers much more frequently this year as well.

Am beginning to think this as well, although part of his scrambling i believe is due to assuming the pocket is going to collapse because it has been on a regular basis of late. I remember during the preseason in the game against GB, Russ wasnt very sharp and seemed to be a little rattled by the pressure he was getting. As a result, he started to rush his throws and his comp % dropped. he eventually ended up throwing a bad pick across the middle on a pass intended for Baldwin (a play i havent seen since, btw). I remember thinking then that i hoped this wasnt a trend that continued into the regular season. Through 5 games, it seems as though it has.
I also think he at times may be trying to get outside the pocket so that he can see down field a bit better (yes, i do think he has to compensate at times for his height).
The thing that's beginning to concern me about this is that the scrambling around, whether warranted or not, is making his completions more difficult because of the angle he's taking on passes. Seams and verticals are easier to hit from a centered pocket than they are from the hashes where russ tends to throw from frequently. Might seem like a small thing but the slight difference in angle changes the trajectory, which increases the difficulty of the pass. He never has thrown the best deep ball. They all seem to be underthrown, overthrown, or jump balls, where he's throwing from only makes it more difficult.
I also think his confidence in his accuracy is shaken a bit. Seemed evident on the play where he had Tate crossing in front of him about 6 yards downfield, waving his hands in the air and Russ threw the ball about a yard behind him - almost resulted in a pick.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
jacksonfan":3jtx3uag said:
My thing with him, is only throws to wide open guys, not alot of thread the needle professional throws, his ball kind of sails and
that TD to Kearse was NOT wide open...but you wouldn't know anything about that would ya

seedhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1zj62ee1 said:
jacksonfan":1zj62ee1 said:
that TD to Kearse was NOT wide open...but you wouldn't know anything about that would ya

Good Lord Jacksonfan, you just described your man to a Tee! Oh, did I mention he (TJ) never looks left?

rsm650

Reaction score
What happens if we had a scrub RB but an elite OL? Would Wilson be better than the current situation given the current receivers?

(not implying he's bad; genuinely curious how this would compare)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2nxa7hs1 said:
seahawksfanatic000":2nxa7hs1 said:
-The Glove-":2nxa7hs1 said:
We went 4-0 last year? That's news to me

Haha yeah I don't think your stats are 100% correct
Last five games played last season: @ Buffalo (W), vs. San Fran (W), vs. St. Louis (W), @ Washington (W), @ Atlanta (L).

Im sorry, I have no problem with making a "regressing" argument but first, you were not talking about the last 5 games you were talking about the first five games (check your initial post). Second, we were 3-2 the first five last year.

Im sure this was said 20 times this post but I just can not read past the first page.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
davidonmi":1ja249l4 said:
TJH":1ja249l4 said:
MontanaHawk05":1ja249l4 said:

perhaps is was that he was running like and mad and he decided to run when he saw a crease and not when he was pressured.
Have u considered that?

That's a decent point. It's hard to complain about Wilson scrambling, because a) he's won games with it and b) you get the sense that he scrambles with purpose and not just to run away. But it can hurt in late games on fourth down, because deep bombs have greater net value and expose the QB to fewer hits from LB's.

Wilson isn't in the mortal jeopardy that some say, but he isn't in a position to improve right now either. We need McQuistan out of there and Harvin in there.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
jacksonfan":34b5r4lq said:

We must watch different games.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2w7phy8a said:
jacksonfan":2w7phy8a said:

We must watch different games.

Different guys...not different games

Joey13091

Reaction score
Those are way to close to say he's regressing. He'll get better. It seems like we aren't utilizing his arm much except for the first game.

Besides the first game it seems like the play calling is holding him back in the passing game like the start of last year.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SonicHawk":34b6hwcw said:
I hate this thread.

I do too. He is the last person someone should pile on. It makes me both sad/mad/dissapointed at once.

Latest posts