Is Russell Wilson regressing?

Joey13091

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":pmph9v5c said:
hoxrox":pmph9v5c said:
Also someone mentioned after the game that the offense is becoming predictable. Would tend to agree with this. Maybe the injuries are limiting the play book

I'd say the protection problems are limiting the playbook. It's hard to call seven step drop deep patterns when Russell's is off and running because of protection breakdowns from every angle after seemingly every snap.

Well I have seen the run run pass scheme this year on offense too often.

jacksonfan

Reaction score
I shouldnt be hard on Wilson. Wilson is
a running qb that relies on defenses breaking down when he is on the run and hitting a wide open pass.
When the defense is really good and can keep up with his scrambling they get in trouble.

Tarvaris is a pocket passer. He is actually kind of slow. I think his 40 time is like 4.7. Shit Ponders is faster.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
jacksonfan":3mcb8i9k said:
I shouldnt be hard on Wilson. Wilson is
a running qb that relies on defenses breaking down when he is on the run and hitting a wide open pass.
When the defense is really good and can keep up with his scrambling they get in trouble.

Tarvaris is a pocket passer. He is actually kind of slow. I think his 40 time is like 4.7. Shit Ponders is faster.

Can you go away...you admitted last season, you were only a Jackson fan. I'm happy with Jackson as a backup. Don't make me dog him when he's actually been doing well.

avengerboater

Reaction score
I will be the first to admit I'm a huge Russell Wilson fan. Heck, I bought a #3 jersey in blue for me and wolf grey for my wife, even though I really, really like Earl's play as well. But the homerism some people have in this post is quite amazing. Yes, he is our franchise QB and the future of our organization. Yes, he is and has been incredible in such a short amount of time. After his rookie season and what he did for the team, the city, and the fan base, I can definitely see why he is revered as Seattle's "favorite son." But, you'd have to be either ignorant or blindly obsessed with him to NOT see that he is not as accurate this year as he was last year. I've recorded and watched every game last year and this, and it is clear to see that Russell is missing quite a few throws that he would've made last year. He has had some balls sailed over his receivers, some balls under thrown, and made some bad decisions (throwing across his body while moving the opposite way, for example) that lead to some interceptions.

He has thrown an interception in every game the last 4 weeks (all except for the first game against Carolina), compared to only 3 interceptions thrown in the last 10 games of the last season (including the two playoff games). His TD:INT ratio through 5 games this season: 8:4 (including 4 TDs vs. the Jags). His TD:INT ratio for the last 10 games of last season: 19:3.

Some of this can be attributed to the O-line not giving him enough protection, but if you watch last year vs this, every time Russell was ABLE to throw to his receivers, he usually throws an accurate ball. I'm not talking about the inaccurate balls Russ throws under pressure. The bad throws I'm referring to this season are throws where he was able to deliver the ball CLEANLY. I noticed it the first two games and attributed it the "beginning of the season". But it is still happening and I'm not sure why. I mean, he is accurate, has been accurate, and I'm sure he can get back to that level of accuracy. His deep throws are still thrown with good touch, but something is definitely not right with him this season. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":313r6mdp said:
Im sorry, I have no problem with making a "regressing" argument but first, you were not talking about the last 5 games you were talking about the first five games (check your initial post).
I think you're the one that needs to check my initial post, it clearly states I'm referencing the slight drop in production between the end of last year and the beginning of this year.
SeatownJay":313r6mdp said:
Regression. Sophomore slump. Defenses figuring him out. I've heard these mentioned more than once regarding Russell Wilson. Is it true? Well, let's look at some numbers from the last five games he played last season and the first five games of this season.
I'm really disappointed by the lack of reading comprehension that's been displayed in this thread by several people.

themunn

Reaction score
maybe that's because it makes no sense to pick the last 5 games of the season as a comparison, I could just as easily suggest "was Wilson's end to the season a fluke" because it's not in line with his play in the other 18 games he's played.

If you're going to compare, you compare like for like, ie. first 5 games against first 5 games. he's way ahead of where he was at this stage last year - he got better and better as the season went on last year, there's no reason to believe that won't be the case this year too.

Has Peyton Manning regressed since in the first 4 games of the year he didn't throw an interception, but in the most recent game he did?

Has Joe Flacco regressed because in 4 playoff games he tossed 11 TDs and 0 interceptions, but in the 5 games since he has thrown 5 tds and 8 interceptions?
That's just ludicrous, however, if I said - "this is Joe Flacco's worst start to a season since his rookie year 6 seasons ago", it'd be fair to suggest that maybe he HAS regressed.

CEHawk

Reaction score
This is a team sport.... The O-Line is obviously not the same, and Sidney Rice is not the same. With those two factors alone I am surprised Russ Wilson's numbers aren't in the toilet! As PC would say, we are seeing what a tremendous athlete RW really is here. The slump in RW's stats is not on RW.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":31rger2k said:
brimsalabim":31rger2k said:
How could you possibly gauge his performance considering he is playing with half his freaking team? Too many guys are missing too much practice and game time.

Missing many guys that are very open. Overthrowing from the preseason and on.
IMO, I do think it is the O line. The rush is coming a little quicker this year because of the patched up line. Anticipation of were to release the pass against these rushing defenders is tough, and then yet to get it down field in the right trajectory, c'mon thats total timing. If the O line was what it was at this time, as it was last year, I believe he makes those passes. Right now RW has got alot of adjustments to make and keep making until our 1st are back. Then it's back to a familiar release.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, if Bevell wouldn't have tried to get so cute, we win that game Sunday no problem. Decided to leave the running game that was dominating that game.

13thMan

Reaction score
The only "regression" I see is his accuracy... Now that may be a function of a porous oline, but even outside the pocket where he was very accurate last year, he seems to have taken a step back. I'm tired of him sailing passes already! Hopefully he can get this corrected soon...