Is Russell Wilson regressing?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The schedule has been much tougher this year vs. last year. Better defensive teams than those Wilson played last year. With that factor considered, IMO, he hasn't regressed at all. Can he improve? Yes. I'm sure Russell would be the first to say he can and needs to get better. I'm sure he will. He's only in his 2nd year and has surpassed those who have been in the league longer than he.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
No team has scored more points on the Colts than the Seahawks. Only the Jaguars allowed the Colts to score more (37 points vs 34 points). This game was on the defense, not Russell. Wilson played out of his mind given the beat up oline.

General Manager

Reaction score
Wilson does look indecisive at times and uncomfortable in the pocket , hopefully this gets better as the season goes along. Wilson has some flaws but it's to early to diagnose Wilson's game as regressing. The inconsistency in the passing game is real though and his numbers are his numbers. On the other hand if not for those phantom PI's this is probably a win and his numbers in that game would have been a lot better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, when a guy runs for his life 24/7, he has to have some type of internal clock going, it's just natural. He has saved this team so many times w/his scrambling.

Reaction score
The thing that cracks me up about some of our recent armchair analysis of Russell is that people have faulted him for overthrowing guys while he is on the run. Could he have been better in that regard this year??? Absolutely, but fans are trying to make it out as if it is easy to throw the ball down-field with accuracy while running at nearly full speed. There is a reason that very few QBs have been effective at this over the course of time, and that is because it is difficult to do. I think that Russell spoiled us last year in some regards with his ability to throw on the run (that was born in part because of his experience as a 2nd baseman playing baseball) - and I do think he can make improvements that might help him to rein in some of his overthrows....but lets not make it out like what he is doing is easy.

ColtsGuy

Reaction score
Again I dont usally watch the hawks, but I thought he was beast yesterday. I really think things would have been different if he had time outs on that last drive.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
General Manager":22wo42ca said:
Wilson does look indecisive at times and uncomfortable in the pocket , hopefully this gets better as the season goes along.

Of course he looks uncomfortable in the pocket, he's been running for his life the entire season. Even when we had five healthy starting O-Linemen they weren't pass blocking well..........or run blocking particularly well either.

General Manager

Reaction score
ColtsGuy":1xhif531 said:
Again I dont usally watch the hawks, but I thought he was beast yesterday. I really think things would have been different if he had time outs on that last drive.

Nice of you to say but were talking mostly about his overall play this year . Wilson like any QB is going to be put under a microscope. I'm not concerned about Wilson right now, the O-line is another matter.

Stuje1

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1kqtfpy4 said:
Ultimately a QB needs to be judged on point production. All offensive stats are mostly worthless if they don't produce points. If a QB goes 5/25 but the 5 completed passes were TDs that is better than 25/25 for 400 yards 1 TD. Russ is simply not leading the offense to enough TDs.

Game 1: 1 TD
Game 2: 3 TD
Game 3: 4 TD
Game 4: 1 TD
Game 5: 2 TD

This is a pretty lame argument since there are so many factors that go into scoring Tds, but even going with your premise that an elite QB needs to score a lot of TDs, it's pretty clear that RW matches up well with what the other top QBs have done so far this season, if not better (of course Manning aside who is having one of the best years of any QB ever)
Aaron Rodgers: 4,3,1,1 (152 total pass attempts, 1 TD per 16.8 attempted passes)
Matt Stafford: 2,2,2,1,1 (196 attempts, 1 TD per 24.5 attempts)
Matt Ryan: 2,2,2,2 (173 attempts, 1 TD per 21.6 attempts)
Drew Brees: 2,4,3,1,2 (201 attempts, 1 TD per 16.8 attempts)
Andrew Luck: 2,1,0,2,2 (156 attempts, 1 TD per 22.3 attempts)
Tom Brady: 0,2,2,1,2 (196 attempts, 1 TD per 28 attempts)
Russel Wilson: 2,1,4,3,1 (127 attempts, 1 TD per 15.9 attempts)

RW's numbers of TDs per game are in line with all of those top QBs, and when you consider that Seattle is a run-first offense with a low number of passes in a game, you see RW has one of the best TD per # of pass attempts this season so far.

red17hawk

Reaction score
Just like last year, I feel RW is improving game over game. I think this Colts game was his best game this year so far. That is exactly what I would want come December/January/February.

General Manager

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o44qanj2 said:
General Manager":o44qanj2 said:
Wilson does look indecisive at times and uncomfortable in the pocket , hopefully this gets better as the season goes along.

Of course he looks uncomfortable in the pocket, he's been running for his life the entire season. Even when we had five healthy starting O-Linemen they weren't pass blocking well..........or run blocking particularly well either.

Agreed but none the less the inconsistency is troubling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
General Manager":36yolby8 said:
Sgt. Largent":36yolby8 said:
General Manager":36yolby8 said:

Agreed but none the less the inconsistency is troubling.

If I were to rank why Wilson's overall stats have been down this year compared to last (completion percentage, yards, QB rating, TD's, etc) I'd put him at the bottom of the list.

1. Offensive Line problems
2. poor WR play (especially Rice)
3. Miller can't stay healthy
4. Opposing teams have had a full off season to properly scout and defense Russell

Having said all this, Wilson's still led us to 4-1, with TWO 4th quarter comebacks........and if his defense didn't bungle two plays yesterday so we'd have two timeouts, he probably would have had a 3rd.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bitching about Wilson is pretty low. He is the last person any of you should be after. Pretty low.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2quiienc said:
Bitching about Wilson is pretty low. He is the last person any of you should be after. Pretty low.
Some of you guys should work in politics. Binary logic at its finest right here.

No one is bitching about Wilson. You'd have to be an idiot to denigrate his massive contributions to our recent success. However, do you think Bevell and Carroll are "bitching" at Wilson when noting areas where he could improve? Is that "low" of them? Pete's mantra of always compete applies to every member of the Seahawks, including Wilson. He is not a finished product and until he is some criticism is appropriate.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Thought he had a good game overall yesterday

Things he can still improve on:

Overthrows
Trusting his first read
Using the entire field
Taking what the defense gives him

Also someone mentioned after the game that the offense is becoming predictable. Would tend to agree with this. Maybe the injuries are limiting the play book

Subzero717

Reaction score
I think the offense as a whole has regressed for several reasons. I wouldn't say Russell Wilson is any of them.

Latest posts