Is John Schnieder the best GM in NFL history?

chet380

Reaction score
bjornanderson21 said:
Schneider has made tons of mistakes, and is guilty of the worst or second worst trade in NFL history (harvin).
Never tire of beating this drum, huh?

No. 1 worst -- the Hershel deal; No. 2 worst -- letting Favre get away.

Apart from Brady, GM's passing on Marino.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1mbnpi19 said:
hawknation2015":1mbnpi19 said:
Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Wagner, Marshawn, Rawls, etc. are some of the guys who were handpicked by Carroll.
:? None of this has or will ever be confirmed.

Heck you go deep enough I bet you'll find it's as much the area scouts fighting for these guys as it is Pete and John.

We can go player by player. Carroll said, "Personally, [Thomas Rawls] was one of my guys," calling him his "favorite" RB going into the draft because of his physical running style. There was some thought about drafting him, but they felt good about signing him as a free agent.

Area scouts play a big role in providing their thoughts, but ultimately it is Carroll's decision. His contract gives him TOTAL control. Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Wagner, Marshawn, Rawls, etc. were all Carroll guys.

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
Pete has made/signed off on every single pick, trade and cut since he was hired. He has final say on all football matters as defined by his contract. Pete has even said the reason he came to Seattle is because Paul Allen offered him "full control." This is in contrast to his first two NFL coaching stints.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Way too early to make this claim, IMO. I would say currently it's Pete/Schneider and Belicheck as the top 2 in the game right now. Thompson is up there for longevity and I like what Keim has done in AZ.

kobebryant

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":llgz17k4 said:
Fortunately, all you really have to do as a modern NFL general manager is find a star QB, and none of your other moves will really matter.

I would vehemently disagree with this.

AJ Smith, Marty Hurney, Micky Loomis, Ryan Grigson.

The moves you make around your star qb matter a whole lot.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
chet380":2j8i0mps said:
bjornanderson21":2j8i0mps said:
Schneider has made tons of mistakes, and is guilty of the worst or second worst trade in NFL history (harvin).

Im not tired of pointing out the worst or second worst trade in NFL history. What i AM tired of is people thinking the trade was just a "bad one". It was a HISTORICALLY BAD ONE.

There is quite possibly 0 or 1 GM in NFL history who is guilty of making such a horrendous trade. The picks, the contract, and how it went downhill so fast from day 1 and got next to nothing out of him.

So you can expect me to bring it up EVERY TIME someone on here decides to pretend that Pete/John dont make many mistakes. Like all GMs/presidents they have made TONS of mistakes and some have been especially bad.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":326svug7 said:
chet380":326svug7 said:
bjornanderson21":326svug7 said:

Im not tired of pointing out the worst or second worst trade in NFL history. What i AM tired of is people thinking the trade was just a "bad one". It was a HISTORICALLY BAD ONE.

There is quite possibly 0 or 1 GM in NFL history who is guilty of making such a horrendous trade. The picks, the contract, and how it went downhill so fast from day 1 and got next to nothing out of him.

So you can expect me to bring it up EVERY TIME someone on here decides to pretend that Pete/John dont make many mistakes. Like all GMs/presidents they have made TONS of mistakes and some have been especially bad.

We are indeed coming to expect you bringing it up. It's all you've got.

And even then, "Historically bad" is still only a meaningless adjective until you show a reason why, historically, this is the case, after examining every other transaction in football history.

chris98251

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2cap64kr said:
chet380":2cap64kr said:
bjornanderson21":2cap64kr said:

You want to bash the front office and this team then why don't you go back to your Vikings board, the trade ended up being bad, but what did it cost us? We won a Super Bowl, we went back to a Super Bowl the next year. Devastating results I know.