In an ideal world who do you cut/keep/re-sign/trade/release?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Timmahawk":3hsw0bzn said:
Trading Sherman is nuts. He would save only 4.2mil in cap space, he still locks down his side and is great in run support.

After next year moving on from Sherman becomes much more viable when it would save us 11mil.

With all that said, Sherman is not the reason why we are no longer in the playoffs.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We need depth, removing your best corner doesn't help in that department

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I don't know how to post tweets but just saw this on Twitter.

Michael SilverVerified ‏@MikeSilver

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn is pressing Gus Bradley for decision on DC job. But Bradley wants to hold off to see if 49ers hire Tom Cable.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
lukerguy":v9kld5qd said:
Sign an elite edge rusher. I prioritise this even greater than oline. The most important part of this off season. For some reason Marsh, Clark, Avril, and Bennett were not good enough. I don't have any idea what happened to them, but that was our edge. Was Dan Quinn that excellent at teaching our Dline that they forgot it when he was gone? I doubt it, but I think they need 4 excellent rushers, not just 3. Clark was a beast.

Sign an elite edge rusher?! If it were only that easy. I certainly agree with you buts it's not as easy going to the store to buy a loaf of bread. Do they target an edge rusher in the draft? No guarantee that his skills will translate to the next level. Free Agent signing? Going to be very expensive and if they truly are elite they will most likely have a franchise tag. Maybe Bennett, Avril, Clark, and Marsh could be better off the edge with an elite DT taking up space in the middle. There again raises the question of where do you find him...draft or FA? Any elite veterans that may be acquired would most likely have to be brought on via trade...ala Jimmy Graham.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd much rather see Cable/Bradley go to a different division and for the 49ers to pick up a guy like Josh McDaniels. Rivalries just aren't as fun when everybody likes each other.

This offseason looks pretty simple to me. We take advantage of our cap space to sign Graham and Kam to short extensions and bring in a veteran tackle to compete and add depth. We consider long extensions for both Britt and Richardson depending on how team friendly they are willing to be in exchange for the money up front.

Our UFA's (Willson, Morgan, McDaniels) are gone unless the market is soft for them and they want to resign at a team friendly rate. Kearse may lose his job as well in training camp but you go with the best 5 receivers regardless of how much they are making.

We draft straight BPA. Like every NFL team we need depth everywhere and adding a handful of impact players is the key rather than which position they play. It takes secondary players a little while to learn our system so it's not like we're just going to draft RCB, NCB, FS/SS and then have all three starting opening day without growing pains.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Unlike years past, is there a FA on this team that would really make any of us cringe if we lost him?

sondevil89

Reaction score
Mojambo":1catv4pk said:
This is going to need to be drilled into people all off-season, I suppose:

Cutting Jermaine Kearse makes NO sense financially. Demote him, sure, but his contract assures him a spot on this roster next year. Period.

I think he is owed 3.75 mil regardless if he plays or not so yes, he stays but probably in a lesser role.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Re-Sign Haushka WITH competition and lower salary
Trade Kam for O-Line Vet and a pick
Re-Sign Graham
Cut/Fire Bevell and find OC that will adapt to games and USE Graham.
Non-Realistic Cut - Kearse because Hawks would only save $400k

If unable to fire Bevell, then trade Graham for the O-Lineman and pick. Because As long as Bevell is here, Graham is a bad investment.

The 2012-13 defense was HOF, you can't sustain that. Try to keep the Defense as good as possible, and get this offense to take another 2 steps forward to make up for it. There is way too much talent on offense to be playing offense THAT bad.

Think about, Rawls, Lockett, Baldwin and Graham...put that with Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady...they would be putting up 40+ points on average. Okay that's a bit over the top, but yeah the bad O-Line play and stubborn offensive gameplan has killed the team. Defense is aging and getting figured out. Need more depth, and offense to step up.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
We need to keep most all of the starters but get the OL into the weight room and add depth. The matchups against the Cards and Rams DLs need to get better resolved somehow. We need a big dose of Big Nasty.

My fantasy is to somehow acquire the next Marshawn Lynch stud, even if it costs us big to get him. Trade up in the first round, sacrifice other picks as necessary but Do It.