I'm really pulling for Benson Mayowa

NYCoug

Reaction score
One of my favorite moments while attending Training Camp last week was after the final horn had blown 3 times and practice had ended, a bunch of players started signing autographs. Ryan Seymour, Darren Fells, Jermaine Kearse, Doug Baldwin, Zach Miller, even the practice DJ signed a bunch of autographs on what was a designated team signing day. There were no Russell Wilsons, John Schneider, Pete Carroll, or Marshawn Lynch appearances... because they probably knew I was in attendance. *Zing*

But one of the absolute best moments was when everyone had left, when even the last player (Ryan Seymour signed for literally everyone, I'm not big into autographs so I didn't get mine, hopefully he kills it and I rue that) had seemingly gone and kids went home crying because they didn't get their Chris Harper autograph, one man came back out onto the field and gave those kids hope. Like Hulk Hogan in the 80's, one man stepped up to the plate and made himself a hero...

Benson Mayowa

I was talking to Doug Baldwin when all of a sudden to my left a crowd of like 10 kids formed around this dude. I kept talking to Baldwin and when I went to head back to the bus all of these kids were super hyped about getting an autograph. One of the mothers told me "you missed it, that was some guy named Benson Mayowa." She actually did a pretty nice job NOT butchering his name. Better than most commentators probably. Anyways, Mayowa had to be told by the guy from the team twice that the signing session was over and coach wanted all the players back inside the VMAC. As he was walking away I yelled "Yo Benson, Go Vandals!" He turned around and nodded his head in approval.

There's no way I could give one of those crazy detailed reports of my visit to camp. I really respect people who can after having attended a practice in person. Kudos to you guys, that's a gift. I was just too caught up chatting it up, taking in the sights and sounds, letting my eyes and mind wander. It was a sensory onslaught. Seahawks Heaven. But I will say this. Benson Mayowa was one of the few dudes that consistently stuck out to me. He was giving people the business all day and although he looks like simply a non-stop motor guy, he's not. He's got some shake to his game and some moves in his arsenal.

I'm really pulling for this dude. I thought a Vandal would finally break through on the Hawks last year in Korey Toomer. Hopefully this year Benson Mayowa can actually make an impact. With the Seahawks injury situation at DE at the moment, he actually might get a chance to crack the season with the team. It would be a major upset but if he could show himself to be a valuable piece to the rotation then why not? And if he does end up being the next Chris Clemons? It would definitely be the way the Seahawks would find their guy for the future at the LEO. A UDFA from a local school, Idaho, that only got discovered because of a Regional Scouting Combine. Love it. Well, if all that doesn't happen, he's still a really cool dude. Props to Benson.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
He was one of the players that stood out to me when I was at practice on the 30th.

Mick063

Reaction score
He jumps off the screen. Very quick.

I personally believe he makes the roster because there is already to much good film on him to expose him to the waiver wire. I'll bet a surprise player gets put on the PUP to delay this in hopes of finding a strategic time to get him on the practice squad.

He will get gobbled up and the staff knows this. I'm almost certain the Chargers would claim him.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I was there the same day Jazz was on the thirtieth. I concur he was impressive. We spend the first Part of the day trying to figure out who big 95 was. I know Kearly's thoughts on training camp DE's, but I would love for this guy to make the team.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The loss of Clemons and Irvin really helped the chances of guys like Mayowa. It's not hard for me to imagine him making the cut when looking at the personnel and making a bit of a roster prediction.

Assume the defense keeps 25 players:
- 7 Defensive linemen
- 10 DBs
-8 Linebacker/LEO's

Based on after the one preseason game, if I had to build a depth chart it'd look like this:

WLB1: K.J. Wright
MLB1: Bobby Wagner
SLB: O'Brian Schofield
WLB2/SAM: Malcolm Smith
MLB2: Alan Bradford
SLB2/LEO: Mike Morgan

LEO: Cliff Avril
LEO: Benson Mayowa

Missed Cut: John Lutolelei (WLB), Heath Farwell (MLB), Ty Powell (LEO)
Though, I could see the argument for any of these 3 making the cut.

So you might end up a happy guy after all :D. I'm pulling for him, too, btw. After watching him chase down Whitehurst and looking a bit like Chris Clemons the way he runs and plays, I started thinking he's got a chance.

billio155

Reaction score
Will Clem and Irvin count as roster spots? If so, that makes it really difficult for some of the fringe players. Right now we have three Leo's who can't play and will all make the team: Avril, Clem, Irvin. That's a lot of roster spots for one position.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
billio155":246ckb3y said:
Will Clem and Irvin count as roster spots? If so, that makes it really difficult for some of the fringe players. Right now we have three Leo's who can't play and will all make the team: Avril, Clem, Irvin. That's a lot of roster spots for one position.
Irvin won't count against the roster until beginning of week 5 when he come off of suspension.

Clemons' situation is a bit different. He's eligible to be placed on the PUP list, meaning he won't count against the roster until at least the beginning of week 7. That is if they place him on the PUP. They may feel he could be back earlier then week 7, so they might add him to the roster but keep an inactive until he's ready, thus taking a roster spot from week 1.

Regarding the overload at the LEO position, I look at that position and the SAM as close to the same role, meaning players like Irvin can actually count against the SAM roster spot instead of the LEO (which I'm fairly confident the team will do). It's also possible they could designate Avril as a SAM, as well, thus keeping a spot open for Mayowa as a LEO, assuming he plays well enough from now until Clemons comes back.

I made a LB/LEO roster prediction a couple posts above. If I had to guess who gets cut from that list once both Irvin and Clemons gets back, it'd be two of either Morgan, Smith, or Mayowa.

Edit: On second thought, it's hard to see the team not keeping a capable WLB to backup K. J. Wright. that would make it much harder for fringe guys Mayowa making the roster.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
i'm pulling for him he's got the Size/Length/Speed plus he gets off the snap well and i don't think PC/JS will let him go he's got some un-tapped potential. If they let him there's no doubt he is picked up and never makes the practice squad. In a year or two he and Bruce Irvin could be one heck of a duo off the edge either at SAM or Leo both could interchange. He can be the SAM/Leo we need to bring pressure on the outside plus him being a undrafted FA he's cheap, has potential and hungry to play, three things the seahawks can work with.

hawk79

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1olp3c4f said:
He looked great in SD. High hopes for this kid.
Me too! I think this kids a gem. If not the team, definelty the PS.

Latest posts