Im ready for a coaching change

Nunya_

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling: (First Post)

Whenever a team loses there are always these "fire the coach" or "this player sucks" threads. No team is immune from them. When someone tries to use logic or knowledge to point out how ridiculous these emotional knee-jerk reactions are, the "boo-birds" resort to insults of "cultists" or "homers". Very seldom are well thought out counter arguments presented. All that is presented are emotional charged claims and crystal ball predictions ("Seahawks will never make another SB with PC as coach").

Anybody that thinks it takes one person (i.e. Wilson, Carroll, etc) to advance and win a Superbowl is nucking futs. It takes a team.....the whole team....including the coaches. One missed assignment, one moment of confusion, one injury, and even one bad referee call can make the difference between winning a game or losing a game. When a player does miss that assignment or when a coach does make the wrong decision, it is ridiculous to "throw the baby out with the bath water". Mistakes WILL be made....by EVERY team in the league.

At the start of the season, The Seahawks were ranked around #15. They were given a C+ for their off-season moves. The predictions were mainly that The Seahawks MIGHT make it to the play-offs, but it was a big "MIGHT". We lost Earl Thomas (one of the best safeties in the league). We lost Baldwin. Ed Dickson was out all season. Brit was gone most of the season. We lost Frank Clark. Reed was suspended the first 4 games. Sherman, Chancellor, Bennett, and Avril were all gone prior to the season before. We had key players injured and missed games throughout the season, including losing all 3 of our main RBs late in the season. A big chunk of the team (especially the defense) was made up of a bunch of new players and yet the team did what most "experts" did not think they could accomplish. Not only did they make the play-offs and advanced to the Divisional round, but they ended with a respectable 11-5 record and were in competition for the #1 seed late in the season.

Some people might not like the methods used to get there, but the success is undeniable. The 2019 Seahawks were a competitive team....just as competitive as ANY team in the NFL. Sure, mistakes were made, but the team was able to overcome those mistakes for the most part. Decisions were made that did not work out as desired, but many decisions were made that were greatly successful.

I can only assume the calls to replace Carroll come from a foundation of ignorance. Carroll is BY FAR the best coach that has ever coached the Seahawks. If these people believe that some other coach is going to ride in on a white horse and accomplish anything more than what has been accomplished, I would be very curious as to who that might be.....and how some people would expect that new coach to accomplish it.

With that said, I would not be surprised if some coaching changes are made. Norton may be out and replaced with a more experienced DC. The Defense was poor this season and should be the focus in the off-season.....however, that will also require the replacements of some players. The Safety position was weak until we signed Diggs. The Corner position need some more talent. And the DL needs help in the worst way.

Sorry for the wall of text.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1mu4y5lr said:
Double digit victories every year, multiple playoff wins. That's my bar. SB or bust is just silly. It's the dream but it's only at best a 1/32 chance every year since every other team is working their butts off for the same prize.

Expecting SB's is like all the idiots that think their retirements will be funded by lottery winnings.

This says it all to me. Most fans of Pete really dont care if the Hawks win the Super Bowl or not. Regular season wins and playoff appearances are the only things that matter. The other side (myself included) want more. We want more than one Super Bowl victory and we recognize that a once in a lifetime team disbanded due to idiotic coaching decisions. To only win one Super Bowl with those talented players is blasphemous.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
seedhawk":chdu9i9f said:
New coaches, I vote no! New game philosophy, definite yes.

Thats never going to happen with Pete though. Why do people have trouble seeing that? He has years and too many examples as to why he needs to change, but it never happens. Either live with Petes constant first half gaffes or move on. Thats the only options.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3346ghmz said:
This says it all to me. Most fans of Pete really don't care if the Hawks win the Super Bowl or not. Regular season wins and playoff appearances are the only things that matter. The other side (myself included) want more. We want more than one Super Bowl victory and we recognize that a once in a lifetime team disbanded due to idiotic coaching decisions. To only win one Super Bowl with those talented players is blasphemous.

We all want to win the Super Bowl, but there are a ton of people around here that remember the 80s and 90s and what it is like to not be playing at this high of a level. Even when we look bad and injured, we are in the game and can win.

That said, I understand your desire for change and I would love to know what will put us over the top. Please tell me exactly what change you would like to see. Which head coach and his staff would provide you with the change you are requesting? Lay out your plan and show us who is better and how it will lead us to the promised land.

Nunya_

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1jez8vk3 said:
Mad Dog":1jez8vk3 said:
Double digit victories every year, multiple playoff wins. That's my bar. SB or bust is just silly. It's the dream but it's only at best a 1/32 chance every year since every other team is working their butts off for the same prize.

Expecting SB's is like all the idiots that think their retirements will be funded by lottery winnings.

This says it all to me. Most fans of Pete really dont care if the Hawks win the Super Bowl or not. Regular season wins and playoff appearances are the only things that matter. The other side (myself included) want more. We want more than one Super Bowl victory and we recognize that a once in a lifetime team disbanded due to idiotic coaching decisions. To only win one Super Bowl with those talented players is blasphemous.

You do realize that there are 32 teams that believe exactly what you believe, don't ya? And EVERY team thinks they are full of talent....until it is shown that they are not. And what "talented players" do you speak of (other than Wilson)? Since the introduction of salary caps, NO team is able to keep all of their star players from season to season.

SlickRick

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1xpddv7h said:
Mad Dog":1xpddv7h said:

Pittpnthrs quoted for truth,

Largent80

Reaction score
The door is right in front of you if you don't like it. Because the majority of Hawks fans DO LIKE IT.

Deal with it or see ya.

Your diatribes are laughable.

GTFO, you are not needed, or wanted.

Is that clear enough?

I'm firmly on board with Pete, John, the players and the entire organization and I applaud them for making it this far after a complete re-set of the roster.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
Nobody's perfect, but the deficiencies are glaring, obvious, and have no hope of changing.

Everybody else sees it except the rose-colored glasses Hawk fans. Hell, even NFL just wrote about it....

4) More important in Seattle: Defensive talent or a philosophical change on offense?

This Seahawks season ended like the last one: with more of Russell Wilson's prime wasted. Just like their playoff loss to the Cowboys a year ago, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer only started to allow Wilson to spin his magic once the Seahawks were down by too much. Pete Carroll continues to coach the team he used to have, with a dominant defense and excellent running game, rather than the one he has now. The inflexibility to adapt is becoming a trademark.

Injuries were a big part of the story, but it still looks like Wilson is being forced into an offensive system that hasn't been particularly successful rather than building a system around Wilson.

The team's defense, however, was the bigger issue on Sunday and throughout the year. The Packers scored four touchdowns on their first eight drives and successfully ran the clock out on their final possession. Jadeveon Clowney, Jarran Reed, Ziggy Ansah and Quinton Jefferson are all entering free agency for a squad that struggled to rush the passer. Cornerback Tre Flowers' struggles in Green Bay were emblematic of the team's young secondary. General manager John Schneider and Carroll need an infusion of talent, preferably in the draft and preferably now.

Quote Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... day-primer

SlickRick

Reaction score
Largent80":2hz6ip9h said:
The door is right in front of you if you don't like it. Because the majority of Hawks fans DO LIKE IT.

Deal with it or see ya.

Is that clear enough?

I'm firmly on board with Pete, John, the players and the entire organization and I applaud them for making it this far after a complete re-set of the roster.

Attachments

• 20200114_124427.jpg
    20200114_124427.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 229

Nunya_

Reaction score
hugecanoli":2r17xvfd said:
Nobody's perfect, but the deficiencies are glaring, obvious, and have no hope of changing.

Everybody else sees it except the rose-colored glasses Hawk fans. Hell, even NFL just wrote about it....

4) More important in Seattle: Defensive talent or a philosophical change on offense?

This Seahawks season ended like the last one: with more of Russell Wilson's prime wasted. Just like their playoff loss to the Cowboys a year ago, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer only started to allow Wilson to spin his magic once the Seahawks were down by too much. Pete Carroll continues to coach the team he used to have, with a dominant defense and excellent running game, rather than the one he has now. The inflexibility to adapt is becoming a trademark.

Injuries were a big part of the story, but it still looks like Wilson is being forced into an offensive system that hasn't been particularly successful rather than building a system around Wilson.

The team's defense, however, was the bigger issue on Sunday and throughout the year. The Packers scored four touchdowns on their first eight drives and successfully ran the clock out on their final possession. Jadeveon Clowney, Jarran Reed, Ziggy Ansah and Quinton Jefferson are all entering free agency for a squad that struggled to rush the passer. Cornerback Tre Flowers' struggles in Green Bay were emblematic of the team's young secondary. General manager John Schneider and Carroll need an infusion of talent, preferably in the draft and preferably now.

Quote Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... day-primer

I do not agree with the conclusion that "Wilson is being forced into an offensive system that hasn't been particularly successful rather than building a system around Wilson". The OLine was much improved over last season, though there is much room for improvement. DJ and Lockett are both good targets for Wilson. We have a good TE in Dissly or Dickson...if they can stay healthy. Our running game was a big improvement over last season....until injuries decimated our RB core.

John63

Reaction score
SirTed":372rq5aa said:
SlickRick":372rq5aa said:
John63":372rq5aa said:
Hawkpower":372rq5aa said:
Its not going to get any better? It already did. Two years in a row. Not that long ago. Pete has already shown he can win it all. What are you talking about?

And, only once has Pete failed to get past the first round. Pete nearly always gets past the first round.

I'm not "ok" with playoff bounces, but it happens. Only one team every year gets to not get bounced. Takes quite a few things going right along with a pretty special roster to make it happen. Those of you who think that Pete, if he was a good coach, would have us in the Super Bowl every year are out of your minds.

Good coaches get their teams to the playoffs often, with a chance, with some breaks, to win it all. Pete has been and will continue to do, just that.

again his record without Wilson is sub 500, so how much is PC? FYi 2 teams get to not get bounced only one wins the championship. the issue is not getting bounced it is getting bounce the same way, and not giving it our all for 4 qtrs.

John 63 speaks to much truth, let me add on to that thought, seattle with wilson shouldn't be geezers let's get to the playoffs. It should be let's get that superbowl ring again and again and again. Anything less is a let down. Because once russ retires then Seattle will truly be in a hell hole with rotating qbs for who knows how many years. Waiting to strike gold like the rest of the teams with no qb.

This is the time to strike , while russ is in town.. or you can ask the colts how there season went with out luck or any team dying for a qb. Green bay did there thing maybe it's time for Seattle

This thought process is so simple... I don't understand why more teams don't adopt it. Get a franchise QB, and it's Super Bowl or bust, every season.

So is RW the only franchise quarterback in the NFL? Why don't the other franchise QB's win, every year. Obviously, NE does, or most years - but look throughout the league. Are all these coaches idiots? Do they all have bad game plans? Sean McVay is a genius one season, and out of the playoffs the next. Baltimore was a freaking Juggernaut this season. What happened? What happened in almost every season of Rodgers prime? Brees? Do these teams not go Super Bowl or bust, every year?

You're likely right - when RW is done, we'll likely be looking a carousel of losing and mediocrity. That's what it was like prior to Pete getting here for the years after MH, and that's DEFINITELY what it was like prior to the Holmgren years. That's what it's like for MOST OF THE LEAGUE, MOST OF THE TIME. How many consistently contending teams are out there? How many go, or win the SB every year? ONE.

It's ok to criticize Pete and his staff. I suppose it's okay to be ready to move on, but really think about what you're saying, what you're giving up, and for the most part, what the rest of the league deals with every year. Consistently winning in this league has proved near impossible. It's literally structured to make that incredibly difficult. Is it a surprise that SF is as good as they are? The Rams? They've both been picking in the top 5 for the last 5+ years, while the Hawks are picking in the 20's. They're SUPPOSED to get good. This is what is supposed to happen. On the other hand, sustained success is made difficult by coaching staffs being poached. Drafting late in rounds. Top players leaving in FA. Other top players staying, but sucking it up cap dollars.
All of that has happened to the Seahawks. Yet and still, they contend.

Okay first the goal should alwasy be SB. That said its okay you dont get there every year as long as you show signs of getting better. What we are saying is if you want to win you go in giving it your best our best is WIlson, but we dont do it. This is not about attempt sit is about the style we play. It is very different between the 1st and 2nd half. All we are saying is lets play every game form qtr1 to the end balls out to win, start with the tempo offense and go till the end. IF you loose giving it your best for 4 qtrs that is acceptable, but when you loose because you only gave it your all for 2 qtrs that is unacceptable and that has been the issue here for several years. And you cant say we dont wo it because PC has admitted to it.

John63

Reaction score
diver110":1frlv4jf said:
There is the Broncos switch from Reeves that worked, and then there is the Chargers change from Schottenheimer that did not work, and the latter is more likely. One thing that is worse than losing in the playoffs is not making the playoffs.

I would rather miss the playoffs giving it our all, then make it half gaming it knowing we are not going any place

Largent80

Reaction score
So, all the injuries are non existant?,...the Hawks are supposed to have so much depth that they can overcome over 6 starters on both sides of the ball either OUT or playing with injuries but it's still on the coaches?

Only the town DRUNK thinks so.

John63

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2wx4gupq said:
Crizilla":2wx4gupq said:
Why does Pete come out and say yeah we are going to use lynch more? Giving GB the entire game plan. Then they wait until the 4th quarter to start actually using Wilson who they made the highest paid QB in the league. I'm sorry but I think it's time to move on. There's no debating this one. This is the 2nd straight year in which the coaches threw this game away by waiting way way way too late to start using Wilson. Plus they have yet to figure out how to defend modern offenses. Stats back it up this is the worst defense under Pete since 2010. It's time to move on it really is. The Seahawks may have been the only team in the league to let Adams catch every single pass thrown to him without a Seahawk being 5 yards in his range. Unreal I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Great, who are you going to replace him with? You are too young to remember the years and years of futility and missing the playoffs. You really need to get some perspective.

I am not to young, and that does nto chaneg the fact that with the way PC is playing we are only playing half the game on offense.

John63

Reaction score
Largent80":30k3bwrb said:
So, all the injuries are non existant?,...the Hawks are supposed to have so much depth that they can overcome over 6 starters on both sides of the ball either OUT of playing with injuries but it's still on the coaches?

So we lost Sunday because of injuries? not playing 4 qtrs on offense had nothing to do with it? Reality is if we had made the switch earlier we would have won, injuries or not.

What I oput on the coaches and PC has admitted to it is wasting a half of football.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BullHawk33":2sg2vjqg said:
pittpnthrs":2sg2vjqg said:
This says it all to me. Most fans of Pete really don't care if the Hawks win the Super Bowl or not. Regular season wins and playoff appearances are the only things that matter. The other side (myself included) want more. We want more than one Super Bowl victory and we recognize that a once in a lifetime team disbanded due to idiotic coaching decisions. To only win one Super Bowl with those talented players is blasphemous.

We all want to win the Super Bowl, but there are a ton of people around here that remember the 80s and 90s and what it is like to not be playing at this high of a level. Even when we look bad and injured, we are in the game and can win.

That said, I understand your desire for change and I would love to know what will put us over the top. Please tell me exactly what change you would like to see. Which head coach and his staff would provide you with the change you are requesting? Lay out your plan and show us who is better and how it will lead us to the promised land.

Who cares about the 80's and 90's anymore? The game has changed and the Hawks have a franchise QB like never before. Your fear of failure wont allow for the chance of success.

I want an offensive oriented coach thats not highly predictable. I still say let Pete have his final season next year and go all in on Josh McDaniels. I want to see Russ play for a coach that has a competent offense.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3kynb0qq said:
FinNasty":3kynb0qq said:
You guys are wildly spoiled. I don't mean that as an insult or in a demeaning way, its just fact. I'm a Dolphins fan. We haven't won a single playoff game in my entire fandom. Its literally been over 20 years... and counting.

You don't know how good you have it as Seahawks fans. The grass isn't greener... trust me. lol

Quoted for truth.

Most of you are babies.

You just have no clue about how hard it is to win in this league. No friggin clue.

McCarthy lost his immunity because he quit making playoffs as did Rivera. They've both been snatched up because everyone knows they are actually good coaches.

Matt LaFleur has won one playoff game against a severely depleted Seahawks team. When he beats SF, you can heap praises on him. Otherwise his success with a better roster is no better than Pete. McVay is sitting home. As are Bill, Sean, Pederson, and every SB winning coach from the last 10 years.

You don't change for changes sake. You change is there is clearly a superior option waiting in the wings.

Problem is you did not get those double digit wins till you got Wilson.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Largent80":25dw4t8l said:

Deal with it or see ya.

Is that clear enough?

Then you are firmly on board with never moving past the divisional round. Must be nice to expect and accept so little from your team.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
Largent80":1rn0qs3o said:
So, all the injuries are non existant?,...the Hawks are supposed to have so much depth that they can overcome over 6 starters on both sides of the ball either OUT or playing with injuries but it's still on the coaches?

Injuries are not an excuse.

1. The same injured team was able to storm back and score 20 points in the second half when they were totally inept in the first half.

2. We NEVER play a full 4 quarters of football. It's a staple of Peteball and has been happening for a decade with Seahawks teams that have NO injuries.

Latest posts