If you spend the whole game setting up the run...THEN RUN!

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Pete's philosophy is to go all in on wearing the other team down with runs/body shots so that way he can run over them in the fourth quarter. If that is your philosophy and you are gashing them for long runs in the fourth quarter, then why wouldn't you run it? Seriously, this was almost a repeat of the SB when out thought ourselves. JUST RUN THE BALL

quadsas

Reaction score
our guys played a much better game than lambs, but Pete tried his hardest to mess it up.

Thankfully Paul's spirit wouldn't the game get away from us

mikeak

Reaction score
It looked to me like Rams broke right through the middle. Not saying what we did worked out, but it looked like giving into Carson would have yielded the same outcome

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":3oh3w2lb said:
It looked to me like Rams broke right through the middle. Not saying what we did worked out, but it looked like giving into Carson would have yielded the same outcome
I feel exactly the same. I actually liked the playcall. Think the Rams D just was better on that play.

nanomoz

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":27wnsz5z said:
mikeak":27wnsz5z said:
I feel exactly the same. I actually liked the playcall. Think the Rams D just was better on that play.

ANd if you just run the ball, you maybe lose half a yard and have options on fourth down.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
nanomoz":10dwetjd said:
hawksfansinceday1":10dwetjd said:
mikeak":10dwetjd said:

ANd if you just run the ball, you maybe lose half a yard and have options on fourth down.
C'mon man you punt there. Have to

nanomoz

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1dopl6oe said:
nanomoz":1dopl6oe said:
hawksfansinceday1":1dopl6oe said:
mikeak":1dopl6oe said:

Does Pete? Have you watched him at all? Do you really thing he just punts? You don't really think he thinks of it as four down territory? Given that the Rams had moved the ball effortlessly on three consecutive drives?

Really?

mikeak

Reaction score
nanomoz":3hlrhg60 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3hlrhg60 said:
mikeak":3hlrhg60 said:

They were NEVER going for it on fourth down. Losing one or five doesn't matter.

If RW doesnt think a run up the middle is going to work then it is because of the amount of players there. Then it is likely he canngetnit on the outside. Rams just played both options perfectly and that happens.

My real issue was the prevent defense... or a different run formation maybe

Smellyman

Reaction score
They lined up 5 guys all inside of the Tackles Carson. They would have probably stuffed.

Rams played that perfectly all around.

I wasn't upset about the call.

Need more wrinkles on those short yardage plays. Either up the middle or RW keeping it, isn't getting it done.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Did you watch the Steelers game?

zchurch74

Reaction score
I don’t mind the call but they should of put Fant as the fullback and just ran right behind him. That would of been the only other thing I wouldn’t of minded. But the Lambs played that perfectly.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
nanomoz":2xcrjz0q said:
hawksfansinceday1":2xcrjz0q said:
nanomoz":2xcrjz0q said:
hawksfansinceday1":2xcrjz0q said:

Does Pete? Have you watched him at all? Do you really thing he just punts? You don't really think he thinks of it as four down territory? Given that the Rams had moved the ball effortlessly on three consecutive drives?

Really?
Yes really. Same reason he played for the FG at the end of the half. He's playing the odds if it comes to that. Failing on 3rd down in both cases left him hanging and hurt us badly. Our short yardage run game actually needs a bit of work. Not exactly a chopped liver D-line there either.

getnasty

Reaction score
zchurch74":1n9ssqpn said:
I don’t mind the call but they should of put Fant as the fullback and just ran right behind him. That would of been the only other thing I wouldn’t of minded. But the Lambs played that perfectly.

The same Fant that has never played a snap at fullback instead of our actual fullback.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem I see is that they have a lot of indecision on those and it take a lot of time and they lose rhythm and momentum of their drive, this isn't the first time they looked out of sync for that 4th down play.

hen your focused and engaged you can execute better, all the time they take to make those calls is long enough that the players lose that knife edge focus to execute at their best.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
quadsas":1ynvfm3v said:
our guys played a much better game than lambs, but Pete tried his hardest to mess it up.

Thankfully Paul's spirit wouldn't the game get away from us

Thankfully our boy toy mcvay messed up and got play in too late to goff and gave them a delay of game. Lmaooo

olyfan63

Reaction score
When I saw Lockett running around the backside, and basically a stacked box by the Rams on the inside, I knew we were in trouble, with more defenders than blockers at the point of attack, and just out-physicalled. IIRC we had timeouts there.

Really this was like a replay of the SB49 "the pick" scenario where the Patriots went "Heavy". I wouldn't have minded seeing the Hawks run this play out of a spread formation with a passing set, and do something like a tunnel screen with Penny or better, ex-WR Prosise on the receiving end. I know there is the horrendous risk of not having the clock run if somehow it's incomplete, a drop, etc., but surely Big Balls Pete could get his team to pull off something like that, or a play-action throw to TE Dissly. Rams were totally selling out against a run up the middle.

Latest posts