If Russell Wilson wins the Super Bowl this year...

If Russell Wilson wins the Super Bowl as a rookie, does he become GOAT in Seattle in one year?

• Yes

Votes: 103 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 22.6%

• Total voters

Erebus

Reaction score
I voted no. This is just my opinion, but sports aren't only about championships. Obviously they are the main goal, but the purpose of winning championships is to gain national respect, attention, and glory. Griffey achieved that without a championship and he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He literally kept baseball in Seattle (not that anyone cares right now, but people will when the Mariners are good again). Russell Wilson can certainly be a first ballot Hall of Famer (and greatest Seattle sports icon of all time) after an amazing career, but its going to take several years, not one season.

I think we'll hear a lot of Hall of Fame talk for Wilson if we win the Super Bowl this year. It will be premature, because only Joe Namath gets into the Hall of Fame based on one season (or in his case one game). But just because its premature doesn't mean it can't happen if he continues to play like this.

wormy1077

Reaction score
So. If he wins this year and does nothing else with his career we have Trent Dilfer. Oh he played in Seattle, didn't win a Superbowl here but does have a Superbowl ring as a starting QB. I love what this guy is doing but there are a few Hall of Famers, and future Hall of Famers in front of him. Definitely shoots him up the ranks and into the conversation in a big way. I, however, need to see more to say best Seattle athlete of all time.

hyrailyn

Reaction score
He would be runner up to the Boz! Quite possibly the greatest athlete and actor the great state of Washington has ever laid eyes on!... :shock:

HawkWow

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":38ch1t51 said:
Griffey, A-rod are you shitting me? If we win the Superbowl this year with a Rookie QB running the show He would instantly become the man amongst all those greats! I was a huge Kemp-Payton era sonics fan, and countless Seahawks before Russell but none of them delivered this towns first and only NFL Championship with a rookie at the helm. Hell that accomplishment alone would likely get him into the HOF just because it has never been done before!

My opinion entirely! Go Hawks!

LOL..please note that I put the letters J/K after A-(hole) Rod. That stands for Just Kidding. I totally respect your opinion on RW and would probably support your belief once the euphoria of a SB win took over, but as of this writing, I'd find it hard to put him over Griffey in respect to the biggest sports figure in Seattle history. But that's just my (current) opinion.

Many have asked "why not Walt" or "why not Lynch". Good questions but I guess the easy answer being they were'nt QBs. OTOH, IMO, Hass (and 05) DID win the damn superbowl, yet even had he won on paper, I'd still not have him over Griffey (Walt or Payton).

I guess this very thread screams the magic Wilson has created in his short time here. Back in 05, prior to XL, I don't recall anyone suggesting SA would be the biggest all time Seattle sports figure, though that would have made alot of sense combined with his MVP award.

It's certainly a compliment to the underdog and perhaps that's where this love affair originates. We've always been the underdog, now we are being lead to the promised land by one. Great story. Good times.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
drdiags":yxvengnm said:
Cartire":yxvengnm said:
You guys, the first meaningful trophy seattle will have taken home ever. Seattle has never hoisted the Lombardi. Being the first QB to do it in 37 years of Hawk history is absolutely remarkable. The fact that hes a rookie, priceless.

So you just really want to forget the Supersonics ever existed? The NBA trophy does mean something. I understand the awe factor but lets not act like he is the only athlete to ever do anything meaningful in this city.

the nba trophy meant something the year we won it... but now days it just don't have the same Shine.... I don't think.. (but its only an opinion)

birdman5

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":2sg97flz said:
drdiags":2sg97flz said:
Cartire":2sg97flz said:
You guys, the first meaningful trophy seattle will have taken home ever. Seattle has never hoisted the Lombardi. Being the first QB to do it in 37 years of Hawk history is absolutely remarkable. The fact that hes a rookie, priceless.

So you just really want to forget the Supersonics ever existed? The NBA trophy does mean something. I understand the awe factor but lets not act like he is the only athlete to ever do anything meaningful in this city.

the nba trophy meant something the year we won it... but now days it just don't have the same Shine.... I don't think.. (but its only an opinion)

I guess the same would happen if the Seahawks win one now and not another for more than 30 years. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

kearly

Reaction score
Hands down, IMO. Nothing like getting that first championship and making NFL history in the process.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Ken Griffey Jr. and Walter Jones in their primes say hi.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Growing up in Chicago, this team reminds me of the 85 bears (minus the super bowl shuffle). If the hawks go all the way, every one of these guys will be bigger than griffey, Payton, kemp, largent, et al. With all due respect.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
One name. Edgar Martinez.

Come on guys! Respect, please. :)

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
dunceface":e2qamcxu said:
I thought he already was...

Not yet, sir. Stand by a city and a franchise through the best, and the worst, and never complain for a single day about whether or not your shot was what you wanted it to be. That is the true heart of a champion, and that is why Edgar Martinez will always been the shining jewel of athletic achievement in Seattle. He played the game he loved, in the city he loved to play the game for.

Count all the trophies you want. The nuts and bolts of sports are not counted on the knuckles of those lucky enough to taste the champagne at the top; rather they are earned from steel hearted devotion to making the dreams of the city you play in, shine brighter than any trophy. Championships don't breed the next generation of competitors, pride and devotion do. And if any region in the United States knows that well, it is Seattle.

GO HAWKS!

HawkGANG

Reaction score
NFL is king right now as far as American sports go. If Russell were to help the Hawks win the SB this year he would instantly be shot up to the level of GP, Kemp, and The Kid...would he remain up there throughout his football career in Seattle and the years beyond? Only time will tell but yes if he helps win the SB this year he will be king, and will remain so if he can continue playing at a high level.

HansGruber

Reaction score
If Russell Wilson wins a SuperBowl as a rookie, he's pretty much #1 on the list. Win 2 and there's no question.

Largent never won one. Nor did Kemp and Payton. Or Edgar Martinez. Much less any of them doing it as a rookie. I don't know who any of those Sonics were and I don't really care, it's not even our team anymore.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
HansGruber":3ullo8uw said:
If Russell Wilson wins a SuperBowl as a rookie, he's pretty much #1 on the list. Win 2 and there's no question.

Largent never won one. Nor did Kemp and Payton. Or Edgar Martinez. Much less any of them doing it as a rookie. I don't know who any of those Sonics were and I don't really care, it's not even our team anymore.

Sorry sir, the DH award in MLB is called the Edgar Martinez award.... am I missing something? That is one hell of an honor.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
kearly":3nfza3p4 said:
Hands down, IMO. Nothing like getting that first championship and making NFL history in the process.

Of all of the people here on the site, I expected you to answer with a bit more bite in terms of Seattle sports history. All good man, I love your write ups and I don't post often, but I think the history of Seattle sports excellence doesn't start and end with Russell Wilson. Sure, he is a great part of it and I am very proud of him. But it will never have the same pull on sports in this town that Edgar, Bone, and Griffey did. (Note: Edgar is king) Nor will Russell Wilson ever be like Dave Niehaus was to Seattle.

Winning a Super Bowl, isn't that defining to a city. Its pure football ignorance to think for one moment that the Lombardi will outdo that.

EDIT: UW and The Sonics have won championships in this state, I know you know this, thus I assume you meant "first NFL championship".

Also, I know you are a Duck or a Cougar, but I still think you are ok. :D

dunceface

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":5tawk119 said:
dunceface":5tawk119 said:
I thought he already was...

Not yet, sir. Stand by a city and a franchise through the best, and the worst, and never complain for a single day about whether or not your shot was what you wanted it to be. That is the true heart of a champion, and that is why Edgar Martinez will always been the shining jewel of athletic achievement in Seattle. He played the game he loved, in the city he loved to play the game for.

Count all the trophies you want. The nuts and bolts of sports are not counted on the knuckles of those lucky enough to taste the champagne at the top; rather they are earned from steel hearted devotion to making the dreams of the city you play in, shine brighter than any trophy. Championships don't breed the next generation of competitors, pride and devotion do. And if any region in the United States knows that well, it is Seattle.

GO HAWKS!

Well i was joking but damn that was beautiful

GO HAWKS

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3tgks2cr said:
Ken Griffey Jr. and Walter Jones in their primes say hi.

This. Come back in 5 to 7 years then well start having this conversation. Even GP is up there.

Latest posts