If anybody tells you lucky win?

SFVikeFan

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":16w0iuad said:
If anyone was lucky, it was the Vikings for being in the position of being able to kick a game winning field goal. Though it may not have seemed like it, stat sheets don't lie. Seattle won in all areas.

Did we watch the same game?

Minnesota's offense faced the #1 defense. Seattle's #1 D faced the #16 offense and arguably one of the worst passing offense's in the NFL. Minnesota's #5 defense faced an elite QB in Wilson, Seattle faced 23 yr old Teddy Bridgewater in his first playoff game.

As for the stat sheets don't lie, you're not going to like these stats then:

Teddy: 16/24, 70.8%, 146 yards, 6.4 YPA, 0 TD, 0 INT, 86.3 QB Rating
Wilson: 13/26, 50%, 142 yards, 5.5 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT 63.3 QB Rating

Seattle's only points were a result of a botched snap over Wilson's shoulder, who dodged a sack & huge loss while our #5 CB J. Robinson inexplicably left Lockett standing around all by himself to give you a free gift inside the 5, a very flukey play to say the least. Your only other points were a FG that came off of an AP fumble at the 40.

Minnesota had the tougher matchup, yet Teddy played as well or better than an elite QB in Wilson. Teddy put the offense in a position to kick an easy game-winning FG and you needed a missed chip-shot FG to win. No shame in admitting you were extremely lucky.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SFVikeFan":d2arbauf said:
SPIRITOF12":d2arbauf said:
If anyone was lucky, it was the Vikings for being in the position of being able to kick a game winning field goal. Though it may not have seemed like it, stat sheets don't lie. Seattle won in all areas.

Did we watch the same game?

Minnesota's offense faced the #1 defense. Seattle's #1 D faced the #16 offense and arguably one of the worst passing offense's in the NFL. Minnesota's #5 defense faced an elite QB in Wilson, Seattle faced 23 yr old Teddy Bridgewater in his first playoff game.

As for the stat sheets don't lie, you're not going to like these stats then:

Teddy: 16/24, 70.8%, 146 yards, 6.4 YPA, 0 TD, 0 INT, 86.3 QB Rating
Wilson: 13/26, 50%, 142 yards, 5.5 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT 63.3 QB Rating

Seattle's only points were a result of a botched snap over Wilson's shoulder, who dodged a sack & huge loss while our #5 CB J. Robinson inexplicably left Lockett standing around all by himself to give you a free gift inside the 5, a very flukey play to say the least. Your only other points were a FG that came off of an AP fumble at the 40.

Minnesota had the tougher matchup, yet Teddy played as well or better than an elite QB in Wilson. Teddy put the offense in a position to kick an easy game-winning FG and you needed a missed chip-shot FG to win. No shame in admitting you were extremely lucky.

Did you watch the same game?

Minnesota also scored barely any points, and 3 of those was off a bad punt snap.

Showing us the stats of two bad offensive performances in sub zero temps doesn't prove Seattle the worse team..............all it proves is it's pretty damn hard to move the ball when it's crazy cold.

Russell made one of the most athletic plays in playoff history snatching up a ball, avoiding tacklers and finding Lockett. What other QB makes that play?

It's the NFL, we made some great plays in terrible conditions, enough to win. That's the narrative. Period.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
The "game" was tough and had little to do with luck. The 'hawk win" was luck.

When you get lucky you take it and move on.

This thread is ridiculous otherwise.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't consider RW having the ball hiked over his shoulder to be lucky for the Vikings so why would I think the shank was lucky?

Chapow

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3hmm65t2 said:
francois.nc":3hmm65t2 said:
seahawkfreak":3hmm65t2 said:
There are missed field goals in the NFL

Your right, 1 out of 100 from that distance, happens all the time.

Yep. 189 out of 191 made this year.

And that stat takes in to account exactly 1 factor. Distance.

I wonder if there could possibly be other factors. Like, for example, just off the top of my head, -3 degrees with -20 degree wind chill and pretty much the most pressure a kicker could possibly be feeling with the knowledge that his previous kick was about an inch away from being blocked and if he misses his teams season is over.

nsport

Reaction score
The circumstance was indeed lucky - but that's not the point now is it?

The Seahawks have overcome their adversity throughout the season to be in the playoffs and continue to overcome adversity as the playoffs go on. This is the mark of an experienced team with championship heart.

The game was cold as can be and both teams did a great job dealing with it. Both defenses played remarkably well and both offenses did their best to make the most of their scoring opportunities.

As mentioned, MN had 8 quarters against this defense and did not score a TD. AP has 2.x YPC average. We actually lost this game 4-2 (4 scoring opportunities to 2) - but our execution on those scoring opps led to 10 points vs 3 of 4 FG attempts by MN.

Yes, the situation was lucky and fortunate, but the Hawks clearly won the game and dominated the Vikings in their two games. I won't give the win back - and don't feel sorry for them. As PC says, they still have to execute the plays available on the field, and they did not.

Chapow

Reaction score
The Adrian Peterson "fumble" had zero to do with luck. Kam ripped that ball out of his arms. That is not luck. That is a big time player making a big time play.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Chapow":2hct46lu said:
The Adrian Peterson "fumble" had zero to do with luck. Kam ripped that ball out of his arms. That is not luck. That is a big time player making a big time play.

Yep.

And a laces in scenario where the kicker shanks it...at that distance? Luck is involved. Sorry.
On to Carolina

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't care if it was lucky or not. I'll take the win in the playoffs and move on to play.

Seahawks are lucky that I got pissed off, left the bar, and listened to the win on the radio. Which has happened before. I can't admit to it being a calculated move, or it won't work anymore.

So I jinxed the Vikings.

carolinablue

Reaction score
I think you were extremely lucky that Minny missed that chip shot FG.

Fact is he missed it though, and you're playing next week. Nothing wrong with being lucky.

253hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":15oxei7k said:
And a laces in scenario where the kicker shanks it...at that distance? Luck is involved. Sorry.
On to Carolina

No, that's just failed execution. And it was hardly a shank; he was on the left hash and just shaved it left. If he's in the middle of the field, it's a FG.

'Luck' winning or losing a game for a team is as plausible as 'God' winning or losing a game for a team. I think 'fortunate' is the word people are looking for.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The score was 38-7 a few weeks earlier. We had lost 2/3 most recognizable players on O (lynch/Graham), and we got "lucky" enough to play in the 3rd coldest game in history...The great equalizer. Who's lucky now? Because, I'd say the Vikings were pretty lucky that game wasn't in their normal dome.

Also, how many botched snaps did we have punting all season...maybe one? How many missed XPs or short FGs did we miss? 2/3 perhaps...My point is...had we not botched that snap on the punt, the score would have been 10-6 with them needing a TD to win.. The vikings got "lucky" we botched the punt because of the cold weather much the same that we got "lucky" they missed a short FG...

No parts of this game were easy. Had the miss come under perfect conditions and the Seahawks played awful, I'd admit that it was lucky...but not in this game. This was a game of least mistakes...and Minnesota just happened to make one more than we did.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawks46":1ia5ss7b said:
I don't care if it was lucky or not. I'll take the win in the playoffs and move on to play.

Seahawks are lucky that I got pissed off, left the bar, and listened to the win on the radio. Which has happened before. I can't admit to it being a calculated move, or it won't work anymore.

So I jinxed the Vikings.

You must be REALLY OLD to be responsible for the Vikings jinx because the Vikings have been jinxed since the late 60's.

massari

Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to the party but can someone tell me why the Hawks chose to punt two times when they were in field goal range?

I'm thinking it has to do with the weather but am not sure exactly.

rideaducati

Reaction score
massari":1t3er7ct said:
I know I'm a little late to the party but can someone tell me why the Hawks chose to punt two times when they were in field goal range?

I'm thinking it has to do with the weather but am not sure exactly.

I believe they were going against the wind and prior to the game they determined that that area was four down territory. Plus their punter had a broken nose.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/686687634941321216[/tweet]

Sherman nearly blocked an earlier kick. I am inclined to acknowledge the pressure applied by the kick blocking team.

That missed field goal was a forced error. An error forced by Seahawk Special Teams! :th2thumbs:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1i9wu436 said:
I work with two vikings fans who are prone to violence. I'll make sure to eat my Wheaties tomorrow in case I need to defend myself
Where do you work -- a prison?

Jville

Reaction score
I had to return and add that all those Viking fans that are trashing Blair Walsh are way out of line. They are showing their ignorance. I'm confident all the special teams staffs that have already looked at that game know exactly what happen.

Shame on that angry hateful crowd.

Latest posts