I still dont get it!

toffee

Reaction score
I rewatched the 4th and 5, these are my observation:
  1. A play was sent in from the coach, players huddled,
  2. Russ was in short gun formation with play clock at 0:05
  3. With play clock at 0:01, instead of snapping the ball, Wilson signaled timeout.
  4. Zero conversation between Russ and Hacket when Russ walked to the sideline.
  5. Zero conversation during the timeout.
  6. Kicker was ready and had a practice kick, which missed.
  7. Pete called a timeout.
  8. Zero conversation between Hacket and Wilson, during this timeout too.
  9. Kicker again missed the kick
  10. Hacket taking all responsibility.
The helmet headset, First, it is one way communication. The designated player can hear the coach but there is no microphone in the helmet. So, the player cannot speak to the coach. It is a coach-to-player communication system.

Second, the coach can only talk to the player in between downs. The communications gear becomes active once a down ends and is shut off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds or when the ball is snapped, whichever occurs first. The coach cannot talk to any player via the speaker equipped helmet while a down is in progress.

Key point, when Russ signed timeout, NO WAY HACKET communicated with Wilson to call that timeout. In that case, Russ called timeout, he removed his helmet on the way to the sideline, and didn't talk to his coach but headed straight to bench and basically stayed there.

OK, If I got it right, Russ called timeout 15 seconds after headset went silent. Hacket just found out the finer details of coaching Russell Wilson.

Did I get it right?

BASF

Reaction score
An aspect of all this that no one has even mentioned is the experience our coaching staff has with Wilson. They would know exactly what type of pre-snap movement made by the defense would give Wilson pause and a little nerves about the play he was going to run.

The fact is that Wilson blinked. It doesn't matter how or why, when it came down to it Wilson did not have the testicular fortitude for that moment. That or he bet a lot of money on the Seahawks to win and so decided to throw the game.

toffee

Reaction score
An aspect of all this that no one has even mentioned is the experience our coaching staff has with Wilson. They would know exactly what type of pre-snap movement made by the defense would give Wilson pause and a little nerves about the play he was going to run.

The fact is that Wilson blinked. It doesn't matter how or why, when it came down to it Wilson did not have the testicular fortitude for that moment. That or he bet a lot of money on the Seahawks to win and so decided to throw the game.
See my 15 second headset post just above yours, I don't know if I got it right but I found no expert challenged or accused Russ calling the time out and chickened out. Guess I must have gotten it wrong.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
I rewatched the 4th and 5, these are my observation:
  1. A play was sent in from the coach, players huddled,
  2. Russ was in short gun formation with play clock at 0:05
  3. With play clock at 0:01, instead of snapping the ball, Wilson signaled timeout.
  4. Zero conversation between Russ and Hacket when Russ walked to the sideline.
  5. Zero conversation during the timeout.
  6. Kicker was ready and had a practice kick, which missed.
  7. Pete called a timeout.
  8. Zero conversation between Hacket and Wilson, during this timeout too.
  9. Kicker again missed the kick
  10. Hacket taking all responsibility.
The helmet headset, First, it is one way communication. The designated player can hear the coach but there is no microphone in the helmet. So, the player cannot speak to the coach. It is a coach-to-player communication system.

Second, the coach can only talk to the player in between downs. The communications gear becomes active once a down ends and is shut off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds or when the ball is snapped, whichever occurs first. The coach cannot talk to any player via the speaker equipped helmet while a down is in progress.

Key point, when Russ signed timeout, NO WAY HACKET communicated with Wilson to call that timeout. In that case, Russ called timeout, he removed his helmet on the way to the sideline, and didn't talk to his coach but headed straight to bench and basically stayed there.

OK, If I got it right, Russ called timeout 15 seconds after headset went silent. Hacket just found out the finer details of coaching Russell Wilson.

Did I get it right?
Yup. RW did not want to miss on 4th and 5 and have the loss on him. Instead the head coach takes it.

This is exactly what so many games and plays the Hawks have endured. Think of how many times and plays over the years Pete has taken it on the chin because of RW.

Think of all the Pete haters about clock miss management and so called bad coaching over the years the haters have espoused. How much of it was sleight of hand by RW?

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Yup. RW did not want to miss on 4th and 5 and have the loss on him. Instead the head coach takes it.

This is exactly what so many games and plays the Hawks have ensured. Think of how many times and plays over the years Pete has taken it on the chin because of RW.

Think of all the Pete haters about clock miss management and so called bad coaching over the years the haters have espoused. How much of it was sleight of hand by RW?
Strangely, ALL national media, full of ex-players or coaches didn't called out Russ on this one. Everyone blame the coach, I had to google the helmet headset to make my post, and I still don't know if I got it right.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
It is because the nfl has changed. In the past the qb called all the plays, took the win or loss, then the coaches started calling all the plays, take the win or the loss, today the media and players want the hype and glory and will play everything to their advantage. The coaches have lost control in many places.
Strangely, ALL national media, full of ex-players or coaches didn't called out Russ on this one. Everyone blame the coach, I had to google the helmet headset to make my post, and I still don't know if I got it right

Latest posts