I Pray RW Comes back to Seattle.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I know I might be the only one on the forum to think this but I hope he lands somewhere and plays well. I don't think he is the villian everyone paints him to be.
Not everyone paints him to be a villain. I've said repeatedly that there are far worse people in this world, even on our own team, than Russell Wilson. He's weird, cringy, delusional, a little too big for his britches, but he's not a bad guy.

I'm not hoping that Russell plays well, but neither am I rooting for him to fail. I do have to admit to chuckling under my breath a bit when he plays poorly, but that's more of an after the fact "it serves him right" sentiment than it is actively rooting against him.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Imagine having a near 100 rating, 26-8 TD/INT ratio, second to Geno in 4th quarter wins and not be able to read a defense at all.
Not to mention a 6 game winning streak, beating the Bills and SB champion Chiefs........

and not able to read a defence at all....

RiverDog

Reaction score
His numbers were above average for a starting QB last year.
And his team was below average last year. There's a reason why Payton dumped him despite those above average numbers.
If his name was Bob Green from the Colts and the Hawks got him on a "Prove it" contract to come in as a back up for the Seahawks...this place would be thrilled.
Not if Bob Green was 35 years old. With Geno in the fold, we'd have two QB's on the roster that are north of thirty.
2023 stats...3000+ yards, 26 TDs and 8 INTs

"He can't run"
Manning, Marino and Montana couldn't run either.

With Pete, no. With M&M's ... Maybe
Stats can tell a story, but not always a full story, especially when they're cherry picked to fit a narrative. For example, Russell was the 21st out of 30 ranked QB's in quarterback rating.

Russell was the 4th most sacked QB in the league, the other three being significantly younger than he is. In 2022, he was the most sacked QB. He holds onto the ball too God damned long, a problem he had when he was with us.

In 2023, Russell had the 2nd highest "pocket time", the amount of time between the snap and when he either throws or the pocket collapses. The only QB with a longer time was Justin Fields. This is a familiar story with Russell, and it speaks to his inability to adjust his game to compensate for the fact that he's no longer a Lamar Jackson-type player that he once was.

So please stop citing Russell's stats. I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
And his team was below average last year. There's a reason why Payton dumped him despite those above average numbers.

Not if Bob Green was 35 years old. With Geno in the fold, we'd have two QB's on the roster that are north of thirty.

Stats can tell a story, but not always a full story, especially when they're cherry picked to fit a narrative. For example, Russell was the 21st out of 30 ranked QB's in quarterback rating.

Russell was the 4th most sacked QB in the league, the other three being significantly younger than he is. In 2022, he was the most sacked QB. He holds onto the ball too God damned long, a problem he had when he was with us.

In 2023, Russell had the 2nd highest "pocket time", the amount of time between the snap and when he either throws or the pocket collapses. The only QB with a longer time was Justin Fields. This is a familiar story with Russell, and it speaks to his inability to adjust his game to compensate for the fact that he's no longer a Lamar Jackson-type player that he once was.

So please stop citing Russell's stats. I'm not impressed.

I’ll just agree to disagree. I’d argue tho most of the most vocal about Russ didn’t even watch him this year yet act as if any counter points are stupid. I watched a bunch of his games out of curiosity and he wasn’t as bad as you say he is. He still has his flaws(as does every other guy) but wasn’t the problem in Denver. He just doesn’t fit Payton’s style more than the idea that he sucked.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I’ll just agree to disagree. I’d argue tho most of the most vocal about Russ didn’t even watch him this year yet act as if any counter points are stupid. I watched a bunch of his games out of curiosity and he wasn’t as bad as you say he is. He still has his flaws(as does every other guy) but wasn’t the problem in Denver. He just doesn’t fit Payton’s style more than the idea that he sucked.
If you watched him and thought he wasn't the problem, and a Super Bowl-winning coach known for his offensive genius watched him and thought he was the problem, does that mean the highly-paid coach regarded as an offensive genius by front offices, analysts, players, and other coaches is wrong, or...

HawkeyGoalie

Reaction score
...and RW was nowhere near being the solution in Denver either, esprcially for all that $$$$

RiverDog

Reaction score
My argument was more of a statistical one. @Spohawks was using some of Russell's stats to claim that he his numbers were "above average" last year. Sure, some of the metrics, including most of the major ones, showed that he didn't perform that poorly. But what I was arguing was that the Devil is in the details. It was the SOS that he did in his last few years here and that he did in his first season with the Broncos: He holds onto the ball too God damned long, takes too many sacks.

Russell wasn't "the problem" in Denver no more than any other single player or part of the team was the sole contributor to their woes. But he damn sure was one of the problems, and a major one at that. It's why that despite the financial and cap space grief they'll have to assume that they're letting him go. If it were just that he "didn't fit Payton's style", given his contract, they would have tried to work with him a little longer than they did.

And BTW, I watched a heck of a lot of the Broncos games last year, all of the ones that were televised nationally plus the Red Zone. So please, don't act like my opinion is unqualified because I "didn't even watch him."

Ozzy

Reaction score
My argument was more of a statistical one. @Spohawks was using some of Russell's stats to claim that he his numbers were "above average" last year. Sure, some of the metrics, including most of the major ones, showed that he didn't perform that poorly. But what I was arguing was that the Devil is in the details. It was the SOS that he did in his last few years here and that he did in his first season with the Broncos: He holds onto the ball too God damned long, takes too many sacks.

Russell wasn't "the problem" in Denver no more than any other single player or part of the team was the sole contributor to their woes. But he damn sure was one of the problems, and a major one at that. It's why that despite the financial and cap space grief they'll have to assume that they're letting him go. If it were just that he "didn't fit Payton's style", given his contract, they would have tried to work with him a little longer than they did.

And BTW, I watched a heck of a lot of the Broncos games last year, all of the ones that were televised nationally plus the Red Zone. So please, don't act like my opinion is unqualified because I "didn't even watch him."
Chill, it was nothing personal. I've just noticed a ton of the response to Russ seems odd because its obvious most didn't watch him play yet they have a very strong opinion on how he did and they didn't watch him. if you did then great. I watched probably 8-10 games and thought he played much better than what almost everyone on here says. His numbers support that too. I don't care about his QBR when most other metrics were very good, He was good when he needed to be in clutch time and his overall traditional numbers were better than Geno's. He wasn't perfect and his style can be frustrating at times.

It was more than just "didn't fit with Payton" It was also because he wasn't playing up to the massive contract he got and while it stings they needed to cut bait and move on this off season so why not go with the other guy.

Again your opinion is valid, I just disagree massively with it and I think a lot of the anti-Russ takes is because Seahawk fans hate him....which I sort of get. But the idea the dude could never read a defense and only relied on hero ball is false and impossible to sustain for 10 years let alone even game by game..