I kinda miss the SOS

nwgamer

Reaction score
HansGruber":1gq4gdwu said:
I don't know what you're talking about. Seattle has always been primarily a football town, and the 12th Man has been strong since the 1970's. Yeah there are some new fans now, but I don't ever remember half empty games in the Kingdome.

The only half empty games I remember in the Kingdome were Mariners' games. I remember sitting with my dad and timing how long it took people to get to some of the foul balls. Sometimes it took nearly forty seconds.

Edit: I think the lowest attendance I ever saw at a baseball game in the dome was just a little over 7k.

The Hawk games I attended usually were full enough to where we had to sit under the overhang or high in the 300 level nose bleeds. Either way, the players were like ants to me on the field and it was really hard to watch. I ended up staring at one of the overhead hanging TV's just so I could see what players were on the field.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I find this type of attitude 10 times more obnoxious than any sort of bandwagoning.

Largent80

Reaction score
I am revelling in our team right now. I wore my championship t-shirt to our gig in Dana Point CA. Saturday and had over a dozen people yelling Go Seahawks at me, friggin lovin it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I miss the Kingdome as far as nostalgia goes.

I will never miss the team being terrible.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
tdigitee":24wi15db said:
Finally reaching the top can do funny things I guess.

I read the whole post, which was excellent, but the first line kind of sums it up for me.

We are all dealing with levels of success, attention, and excitement we've never experienced. This will spark nostalgia for some and ignite new fires of impassioned fandom for others. The past few years have amplified my excitement and enthusiasm beyond anything I once thought possible. My house is more blue, green, and grey than not. In the past couple years I've accrued more hawks gear than ever before, with a few more sale items arriving today (and then that's it... until we win another one... or until the ring replicas come out and they're totally kickass).

Anyway, it's okay to miss the old days. It's the same way one might miss the high jinks of high school, the craziness of college, or the camaraderie of time in the service. It's not about the stifling rules, crazy deadlines, or the hell of combat; it's about the people you were with and the feelings of togetherness. This championship era is a whole new party, with lots of new people, so it takes a little adjusting.

My advice is to retain the old sense of belonging to something special and welcome the new revelers with open arms. It could be fun to find out what moment solidified their sense of fan unity. If you share in the current excitement and engage them, every once in a while you'll meet one who will take heed in your stories of the dark days and appreciate what they have that much more!
:fam:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't miss it at all let me tell you why:

This championship came to us on our terms, despite unpopular choices, full of doubters, and with guys the rest of the league had passed over.

So really, we did this the Seahawk way.

From bringing in Pete Carroll amidst USC controversy, Staring RW, stressing the competition aspect and backing it up, the 12th man being a huge and despised part of it, passed over late round/undrafted underdogs....

If we had just paid Peyton Manning to come here and brought in another bunch of big name free agents and won it that way, well - i'd still take it, but I'm not sure a championship could be anymore satisfying than this.

So no, I don't miss it. one bit.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Complaining about the fact that the Hawks' recent success is enlarging its fan base is pretty stupid.

Mindsink

Reaction score
I never understood this attitude. You are a fan of the team, just like the guy who jumped on the bandwagon last season. Are they not entitled to be fans as well? Are you more entitled to Seahawk fandom than they are? Why? You chose to be a fan of the team, for your own reasons, just like the people you see in the mall. Being a fan for a long time does not entitle you to any additional bragging rights, nor does being able to name obscure player names on past rosters.

I've been a fan since the mid 80s, and three out of those four names you listed are completely unrecognizable to me. Sorry if that makes me "less" of a fan than you. :oops:

dbmack

Reaction score
I have been a fan from day one but because I can't name some of the old players or can't recall the name of everyone who we ever drafted I have been called a "casual fan" on this very message board. I find it very insulting that anyone would question anyone's "fandom" whether they are old enough to remember when the team started or became a fan in the past few years.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've been a fan since the day it was announced Pete was head coach. I don't recognize those names, but I did technically become a fan when the team was lousy, so...

HansGruber

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3k9du18p said:
HansGruber":3k9du18p said:
but I don't ever remember half empty games in the Kingdome.
The Behring years.

I had season tickets during the Behring years and while it wasn't as hard to get tickets as it is today, the games were still far from halfway empty. Heck, when we were playing in Husky Stadium after the Kingdome got torn down, the team was just terrible and had been for a long time, and that stadium was still more than halfway full. They used to announce attendance and it was always over 50k.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Good lord . You should be thankful the team is so loved and popular right now. If there was this much love when the Sonics were on the fringe of being gone then they would not be. I don't understand why it's a bad thing to have a ton of ppl loving on the team. Yes, some suffered through mediocrity for years but that doesn't make it a bad thing that there are more fans now than ever. My 2 year old daughter will grow up being a seahawks fan, should I hold something against her because she wasn't around 20-30 years ago?

Grow up.

pmedic920

Reaction score
One of the things that I'm really liking right now is, with all the extra love, there is a TON of hate. I'm having a blast with the folks that are hating on the Hawks. :{)

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Being across the country, when I first got here and would tell people who my favorite football team was, the reaction was
INNay

Now it's usually
ipts.gif

It's so, SO much better.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
pmedic920":2rwcgawb said:
One of the things that I'm really liking right now is, with all the extra love, there is a TON of hate. I'm having a blast with the folks that are hating on the Hawks. :{)

The hate is definitely all kinds of fun. One of the main reasons I want to repeat as Super Bowl champs is to get Pete Carroll into the Hall of Fame, because people can't stand him.

halfrack

Reaction score
Funny, here in my part of the Midwest, the laughing I heard over the two years prior to last years super bowl run has given way to a stifled admittance of our dominance of the game. I'll certainly take the latter.