I have a really bad feeling about this draft

King Dog

Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH

Also, I don't agree with Kearly's assessment at all.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3rryom4d said:
I usually find a way to be positive about our draft and find a few guys with all pro level of potential... but this draft man. Just weird. I feel so down, especially since Schneider hyped it up so much. Yay we got OL help but man I dont know about any of them.

Just a bizarrely anti climatic draft imo. Im looking forward to Pete and Johns comments on it.

Someone plese help convince me otherwise??

Not enough jazzy names for ya?
The problem with hanging around in the Draft forum in the last couple Months, we all get to hear a lot of sexy & over hyped names strewn about, and then when Schneider doesn't pick up on all the frenzy, some folks around here start believing that he doesn't have the "IT" going on anymore.
Whatever happened to the "In Pete We Trust"? :0190l:

King Dog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":owrobikt said:
therealjohncarlson":owrobikt said:
I usually find a way to be positive about our draft and find a few guys with all pro level of potential... but this draft man. Just weird. I feel so down, especially since Schneider hyped it up so much. Yay we got OL help but man I dont know about any of them.

Just a bizarrely anti climatic draft imo. Im looking forward to Pete and Johns comments on it.

The problem with hanging around in the Draft forum in the last couple Months, we all get to hear a lot of sexy & over hyped names strewn about, and then when Schneider doesn't pick up on all the frenzy, some folks around here start believing that he doesn't have the "IT" going on anymore.

Seriously. People on the draft forum actually think they're scouts, then when we don't take a McGovern, Dahl, Haeg ,Feeney or Adams they think Snyder missed on a player..... :)

Funny how no other teams take them until way late or don't draft them either.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think it's like this... we tend to base our assessments on our preferences for players going into the draft that the Seahawks didn't draft. But, you know what, JS/PC said in the post draft presser that they got several players they targeted. Yeah, yeah, yeah... they could be putting a positive spin on some of it. But, they admitted there's always players that get drafted by other teams they would have loved to have. Still, they realize they can't get everyone. That's always the case with every team. But, there's also several options of players they want and can target in the draft.

I'm quite pleased with the draft selections because as a collective group shows that the Seahawks are about re-tooling an identify. They made quite a splash with the UDFA's. I'm going to be optimistic and give it some time - see how this plays out. There's much to be excited about Seahawks fans.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
King Dog":cqnrbmlz said:
scutterhawk":cqnrbmlz said:
therealjohncarlson":cqnrbmlz said:

Seriously. People on the draft forum actually think they're scouts, then when we don't take a McGovern, Dahl, Haeg ,Feeney or Adams they think Snyder missed on a player..... :)

No need to disparage folks that enjoy talking about the draft. It's no different than this entire forum talking about the Hawks, we're not NFL coaches last I checked. For the record a few of those guys in the draft forum have had incredible scouting track records.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3o6oypdw said:
King Dog":3o6oypdw said:
scutterhawk":3o6oypdw said:
therealjohncarlson":3o6oypdw said:

No need to disparage folks that enjoy talking about the draft. It's no different than this entire forum talking about the Hawks, we're not NFL coaches last I checked. For the record a few of those guys in the draft forum have had incredible scouting track records.

I don't that that guy is disparaging folks that enjoy talking about the draft.

He is disparaging guys who unfortunately have lost touch with reality and believe their knowledge surpasses that of the professionals.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2cva1ob1 said:
I think it's like this... we tend to base our assessments on our preferences for players going into the draft that the Seahawks didn't draft. But, you know what, JS/PC said in the post draft presser that they got several players they targeted. Yeah, yeah, yeah... they could be putting a positive spin on some of it. But, they admitted there's always players that get drafted by other teams they would have loved to have. Still, they realize they can't get everyone. That's always the case with every team. But, there's also several options of players they want and can target in the draft.

I'm quite pleased with the draft selections because as a collective group shows that the Seahawks are about re-tooling an identify. They made quite a splash with the UDFA's. I'm going to be optimistic and give it some time - see how this plays out. There's much to be excited about Seahawks fans.

Good points. It's worth mentioning that Schneider said they had a First Round grade on both Ifedi and Reed. In fact, he said they were deciding between those two at No. 31. He also said Cable believes Ifedi and Odhiambo were the two best players he had the opportunity to work out.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawknation2016":311mru2i said:
TeamoftheCentury":311mru2i said:

Good points. It's worth mentioning that Schneider said they had a First Round grade on both Ifedi and Reed. In fact, he said they were deciding between those two at No. 31. He also said Cable believes Ifedi and Odhiambo were the two best players he had the opportunity to work out.
Thanks.

Well, Cable said they were the strongest players. Impressed with their strength. Did Cable or JS say they were the "best" players at their positions? Maybe he said something like because of their strength... In any case, I get your point. Yes, I heard all that was said. I'm a draft junkie.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":236g5xvo said:
hawknation2016":236g5xvo said:
TeamoftheCentury":236g5xvo said:

Thanks.

Well, Cable said they were the strongest players. Impressed with their strength. Did Cable or JS say they were the "best" players at their positions? Maybe he said something like because of their strength... In any case, I get your point. Yes, I heard all that was said. I'm a draft junkie.

Your recollection is most likely better than mine. You're one of the best evaluators of talent on this board. I wonder what Cable meant by "strongest." Odhiambo, in particular, doesn't appear to be that physically strong or overpowering. He's more strong in the same way Patrick Lewis is strong in that he has an aptitude for hitting people. Neither Odhiambo nor Lewis demonstrated the traditional measure of strength on the bench press (with average arm lengths) or other drills. They just have that same tough mindset that allows them to overcome their physical shortcomings.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":pb6tq0og said:

Maybe so, but, isn't it bottom line to weigh out the success of Pete, John, and their professional "Scouts" that should carry the biggest influences?
I mean, their track record with the Drafting process, and the winning of a Super Bowl Championship lends a whole lot to their credibility as talent evaluators.
I've no intentions of disparaging anyone here, but we fans are amateurs, and as fans, we're pretty much just going along for the ride.
I think it's cool that some astute folks around here can somewhat foretell how the Draft is maybe going to shake out, but there's no need for the foreboding by their followers when they sometimes miss the target.
Oft times, there's just a whole lot of circumstances & information that isn't available to folks outside the war room.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3sp6t8mh said:
therealjohncarlson":3sp6t8mh said:

I've made it a point in my life to never regurgitate the line "In blank we trust" for anyone. I prefer to think for myself and analyze each action on its own merits. You know, just something most adults pride themselves on doing.

Maybe I'm crazy about not being totally hyped on this draft, maybe I'm not. I guess only time will tell.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
All those super stars are pointless if you don't have a solid core around them. I see this draft as building that core so our superstars can make a difference. I look at that core group as another superstar. The better your core the better your entire team. It's needed and pays of as much or more than any individual performance.

BigMeach

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":20jgtpo3 said:
scutterhawk":20jgtpo3 said:
therealjohncarlson":20jgtpo3 said:

I wonder if Pete and John come on here and just laugh at people who try to grade or dismiss their draft picks. It's like a toddler questioning an English professors grammar.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
BigMeach":3l4t88hq said:
therealjohncarlson":3l4t88hq said:
scutterhawk":3l4t88hq said:
therealjohncarlson":3l4t88hq said:

I wonder if Pete and John come on here and just laugh at people who try to grade or dismiss their draft picks. It's like a toddler questioning an English professors grammar.

I agree, Meach. I'll let the FO's enthusiasm carry me a bit, even though I can evaluate the players myself, too.

And the grammar is "professor's" with an apostrophe for the possessive case.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":4b2t10re said:
scutterhawk":4b2t10re said:
therealjohncarlson":4b2t10re said:

I've made it a point in my life to never regurgitate the line "In blank we trust" for anyone. I prefer to think for myself and analyze each action on its own merits. You know, just something most adults pride themselves on doing.

Maybe I'm crazy about not being totally hyped on this draft, maybe I'm not. I guess only time will tell.

I don't think anyone can fault you for that.

And of course, Pete and John have missed on some picks.

Its just that, they know more about the players, process and what it takes to be successful in this league than all of us combined times 10.

We can "analyze" the picks all we want, but in the end, what do we know?

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":22452q50 said:
This draft was about depth in the trenches and re-stocking the running game.

Not flashy, but looks like they have some good competition for their spots of need.

This. We got a TE that we've been looking for for quite a while. We got a guy in Reed that replaces Mebane and saves us money doing it. We've got what looks to be great depth in the backfield. We look to have plugged various holes in the OL (If Ifedi isn't ready, Webb will be, or Sowell slides over, or hell even Britt slides outside), and we either have a new starter at LBer or increased depth.

Our ST looks to have improved. We added a big bodied WR that makes our talent pool deeper and more varied at the position.

I feel really good about this draft to be honest. We addressed most of our needs multiple times and with the guys we grabbed, someone will stick. Oh, and NO DLINE CONVERSIONS this draft. That's a win right there.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
HawkFan72":kgthr89y said:
This draft was about depth in the trenches and re-stocking the running game.

Not flashy, but looks like they have some good competition for their spots of need.

What's your Titans GT?

Crizilla

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":jj28z57e said:

You have mental issues. Seek help.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":384f9bri said:
Hawkpower":384f9bri said:
therealjohncarlson":384f9bri said:

Weird.

Just about everybody else is pretty stoked about it, especially the day two picks.

Have you not been following, or do you just differ from the general consensus?

I guess I differ from most people. I view pretty much everyone we got as a fringe roll player or one dimensional. No future stars to replace our aging ones. Maybe Reed maybe. But I view him as pretty one dimensional

Sorry to piss on everyones parade
Don't ever apologize for not going along with what other people are saying.

After the 2013 draft there were a lot of people talking about how awesome it was and all the future starters we added....and it ended up being a bad draft (though I should probably cut Schneider some slack because 2013 sucked for most teams).

Same with 2014.

You are looking at the players we added, the players we already had, and trying to see how they fit on the team with your post-draft assessments. In your opinion we did not have the kind of draft to be excited about. You don't see pro-bowlers nor do you see many starters.

Your opinion is every bit as valid as the posters who automatically assume every move the Hawks make will turn out well.

I don't see much to get excited about either, but i break it down as:
Reed is a day 1 starter

1 of our 3 drafted OL will start (or a UDFA or under-the-radar guy) while at least one rookie will upgrade a backup spot.

One of the 3 RBs will upgrade our RB2 spot and one will be RB3

Vannett will provide better blocking at TE

That's not a great draft, but it's not bad either. Teams average about 2 immediate starters per draft, and we likely got 2. We likely did not pick up any pro bowlers, and we didn't pick up anyone who could replace our star players, but we still found Mebane's replacement and a decent infusion of much-needed talent on OL as well as filling the RB depth chart (perhaps excessively).

But again, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's and you shouldn't be afraid to disagree

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
BigMeach":3mix0q7i said:
therealjohncarlson":3mix0q7i said:
scutterhawk":3mix0q7i said:
therealjohncarlson":3mix0q7i said:

I wonder if Pete and John come on here to laugh at the people who can't admit that PCJS make mistakes on a regular basis.

2013 draft: sucked
2014 draft: sucked.

Why do so many posters on here act like Pete and John always draft well? They don't.

It's a damn shame that the people on this board have created an environment where you can only feel welcomed if you blindly support every move the Hawks make and insist that they're always the best.

Seriously.