I have a question

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum .

I have a hypothetical question regarding if player A is traded in the middle of a contract to another team. Say, player A is making 15 million presently , could this player agree to less money on his new team? What would the cap situation be for the original team ? Could this be agreed upon prior to the trade ?

I've always wanted to know.

kidhawk

Reaction score
When a player is traded all unpaid monies go to the new team and all previously paid moneys such as signing bonuses are the responsibility of the old team.

Once the trade is final the new team and player are free to negotiate any contract that the nfl finds acceptable.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

The 9ers took over McCaffrey s Carolina contact minus signing bobus, which I assume Carolina absorbed.

The signing bonus is paid in the first year of the contract, but accounting for it in the cap can be spread out over the full length of the contract, up to five years. Since the signing bonus was already paid by the time the player was traded, all that's left is for the team that gave the player the bonus to account on its cap for the parts of the signing bonus that were pushed back to later seasons. So yes, the Panthers have $18,352,250 in dead money on their 2023 cap for McCaffrey.